Cove on the Move

NorthernLights

The old stadium is finally being demolished.  I saw it on the train coming back from Glasgow on Monday morning.  The enclosure closest to the train line was completely gone and it looked like they were starting to take down the building that had the social club and the sort of executive box seating in.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rumours that Cove haven't being paying agreed fees to use other grounds while their £5 million mega stadium is prepared. Supposedly this was the reason Formartine barred them from North Lodge this season. Still got plenty cash to outbid on players though, so all's well.

The old stadium is finally being demolished.  I saw it on the train coming back from Glasgow on Monday morning.  The enclosure closest to the train line was completely gone and it looked like they were starting to take down the building that had the social club and the sort of executive box seating in.

I didn't know that Allan Park is in the train line - whereabouts is it, I'll have a look next time I'm going up there

18 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

I didn't know that Allan Park is in the train line - whereabouts is it, I'll have a look next time I'm going up there

It's where the empty space will be...

2 hours ago, Marr1 said:

Heading south it's on your right hand side not long after you pass Altens. Probably about 100 yards uphill from the railway line.

On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 13:20, welshbairn said:

Rumours that Cove haven't being paying agreed fees to use other grounds while their £5 million mega stadium is prepared. Supposedly this was the reason Formartine barred them from North Lodge this season. Still got plenty cash to outbid on players though, so all's well.

I've absolutely no knowledge on whether Cove are paying their bills but the impact on the North Lodge pitch seems one valid reason/excuse why Cove aren't playing there this season. I was at North Lodge for a youth match last April and the pitch was in awful condition - heavily sanded which was wet to the extent it was like quicksand. Boys were complaining that it was ankle deep in places! I was at Harlaw Park around the same time which wasn't perfect but in much better nick than North Lodge. Incidentally, do you have any idea what sort of fee Cove are paying for hiring grounds?

4 minutes ago, Northboy said:

I've absolutely no knowledge on whether Cove are paying their bills but the impact on the North Lodge pitch seems one valid reason/excuse why Cove aren't playing there this season. I was at North Lodge for a youth match last April and the pitch was in awful condition - heavily sanded which was wet to the extent it was like quicksand. Boys were complaining that it was ankle deep in places! I was at Harlaw Park around the same time which wasn't perfect but in much better nick than North Lodge. Incidentally, do you have any idea what sort of fee Cove are paying for hiring grounds?

I heard £600. I can certainly understand Formartine being pissed off after all the work they did to rescue it from the perpetually postponed swamp it was a few years ago.

• 3 months later...

Cove still on the move!!!!! Yes, around most of their league opponents grounds to play their home games after two seasons of no decision or progress on a new ground! 

Anyone know why this is and is it the case of empty promises from the council?

How is this allowed to happen for such a long period of time?

Cove cries out for more community amenities, so why is it that a simple thing like laying a 4G pitch, for the club and the community can't be done, for the good of the community end the club, even if it was just the pitch with a barrier round it and temporary facilities.

Wouldn't be anything to do with local rivals Banks O Dee having a councilor on their committee, would it?

1 hour ago, They think its all over said:

Cove still on the move!!!!! Yes, around most of their league opponents grounds to play their home games after two seasons of no decision or progress on a new ground! 

Anyone know why this is and is it the case of empty promises from the council?

How is this allowed to happen for such a long period of time?

Cove cries out for more community amenities, so why is it that a simple thing like laying a 4G pitch, for the club and the community can't be done, for the good of the community end the club, even if it was just the pitch with a barrier round it and temporary facilities.

Wouldn't be anything to do with local rivals Banks O Dee having a councilor on their committee, would it?

New ground should be ready for next season - https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/cove-boost-balmoral-group-put-name-new-stadium-calder-park/

12 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Hey bud, appreciated. Here's hoping it's a goer this time for the sake of the club and community. I did hear that this option of area for the pitch was being hindered by access right of way since the demise of a company in the building leading into the pitch area. Of which agreed to the access route, but no longer is available.

I gave up on the local rags years ago, and amazed to see that Mr Charlie (postie) Allan is still involved and not been found out yet!!! Amazing!!

16 hours ago, They think its all over said:

And so say all of us!!! Issue after issue in the Granite City. However, I'm not close enough to the club or situation to know, just thought someone would know a bit more of the facts and reasons why. Most puzzling thing is why it has been accepted all this time?

I don't think they could get on with the new ground until they'd sold the old one. No idea why the HL allowed them to carry on without a ground and outspend most of the League on players for 3 years though.

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I don't think they could get on with the new ground until they'd sold the old one. No idea why the HL allowed them to carry on without a ground and outspend most of the League on players for 3 years though.

I believe the old ground has been sold for some time, as they are building on it currently.

But yes, it's a strange one, dispensation maybe because they have proved outside causes for them not having a pitch. One thing for sure, no team would get to apply for the league without a home ground.

1 minute ago, They think its all over said:

I believe the old ground has been sold for some time, as they are building on it currently.

But yes, it's a strange one, dispensation maybe because they have proved outside causes for them not having a pitch. One thing for sure, no team would get to apply for the league without a home ground.

I think there was some financial thing going on in that funding for the new ground wouldn't be available till the old land got planning permission to go ahead, so getting the go ahead for Calder Park was delayed. So the usual mix of Aberdeen Council/developer incompetence/corruption most likely.

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think there was some financial thing going on in that funding for the new ground wouldn't be available till the old land got planning permission to go ahead, so getting the go ahead for Calder Park was delayed. So the usual mix of Aberdeen Council/developer incompetence/corruption most likely.

Yes indeed, when there's big money involved there will always be some kind of issue. But, rather than have us speculate, there should be news releases, now that would be news I'd be interested in reading. Facts, reasons and accountability.

I can't find it now - although it may be further back in this thread - but I read in a piece in one of the north-eastern papers that the stand may be ready initially with the terracing around the other sides following subsequently. Given a plastic pitch doesn't need time to bed-in then if they have a completed boundary wall, a pitch and a stand (which presumably contains the changing rooms etc.), I imagine they'd be good to go whether HL or SPFL. Working with a limited capacity wouldn't be ideal in SPFL but not critical if only for X weeks or months?

Archived