Cove on the Move

NorthernLights

Heard from a man at the game yesterday who heard it from a man in a pub that if Cove's ground isn't ready for next season they'll be kicked out of the Highland League.

In a pyramid system at equal level with the LL, how can they punt out a club for not having their own ground when a notable number of the LL sides groundshare on a seemingly permanent basis. University sides bailing on the idea of running senior level grounds is understandable of course, but you've got the situation where BSC Glasgow now play in Alloa having given up their groundshare at Maryhill, never mind 2nd team East Stirling being homeless for ~15 years now.

If it's because the HL is an independent body that the SPFL has agreed to take teams from, then maybe a bit more understandable, but I personally don't think there should different rules within similar SFA pyramid levels.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a pyramid system at equal level with the LL, how can they punt out a club for not having their own ground when a notable number of the LL sides groundshare on a seemingly permanent basis. University sides bailing on the idea of running senior level grounds is understandable of course, but you've got the situation where BSC Glasgow now play in Alloa having given up their groundshare at Maryhill, never mind 2nd team East Stirling being homeless for ~15 years now.

If it's because the HL is an independent body that the SPFL has agreed to take teams from, then maybe a bit more understandable, but I personally don't think there should different rules within similar SFA pyramid levels.

It's not so much they don't have a ground that only they use.

It's that they don't have a 'home ground' and they seem to have struggled to find a place they can use for all their games, so having the new ground built seems to be the only solution.

It's not so much they don't have a ground that only they use.

It's that they don't have a 'home ground' and they seem to have struggled to find a place they can use for all their games, so having the new ground built seems to be the only solution.

Ah, fair enough.

A case of "please show us some evidence that you can actually host games next season rather than saying it'll be alright on the night" seems far from unreasonable.

That's the difference. Clubs like Cumbernauld have a permanent groundshare at one location. Cove use anything up to 5 or 6 different venues, including 2 or 3 main ones, depending what's free and takes their fancy 'week-to-week'. Some compare it to a gypsy caravan or travelling circus :lol:...

EDIT: They've used Formartine, Inverurie, BoD, Keith, Lossiemouth, Fraserburgh, Huntly, Montrose.

36 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

That's the difference. Clubs like Cumbernauld have a permanent groundshare at one location. Cove use anything up to 5 or 6 different venues, including 2 or 3 main ones, depending what's free and takes their fancy 'week-to-week'. Some compare it to a gypsy caravan or travelling circus :lol:...

EDIT: They've used Formartine, Inverurie, BoD, Keith, Lossiemouth, Fraserburgh, Huntly, Montrose.

And Forfar.

9 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

A  small point but Shire have been homeless for 9 years not 15. As HJ pointed out the LL clubs have fixed groundshares unlike Cove.

12 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Cove use anything up to 5 or 6 different venues, including 2 or 3 main ones, depending what's free and takes their fancy 'week-to-week'.

Not really 'what takes their fancy'. Cove's principal groundshare is at Inverurie Locos but the agreement only runs to a set number of games per season (just 10, if I've worked it out right) so the other venues have to be resorted to just because that agreement doesn't allow for more. I would expect that if Cove won the playoffs, Locos would be pressurized to lift that restriction so that Cove would have just one home venue until their own new-build finally appears.

Anyone know what happened in their game against Turrif on the 12th? I saw they had 3 players sent off and someone told me their manager was sent to the stand and their chairman ejected from the ground!

13 hours ago, NewBlue said:

Anyone know what happened in their game against Turrif on the 12th? I saw they had 3 players sent off and someone told me their manager was sent to the stand and their chairman ejected from the ground!

Lost the plot when losing 1-0 and thereby any realistic chance of winning the league had gone. 1st off - two bookings for verbals to officials, 2nd off - diving into a tackle when already on a yellow. Got an equalizer when down to 9 men, then the 3rd sending off is alleged to be for spitting blood in the keeper's face... Manager sent off for verbals.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-4-16 at 11:12, Hedgecutter said:

I agree.  Anyway if the new ground is to be available in December this year, the solution is simple. Play most of their away games during the first half of the season, and the home games from December onwards.. I am sure that the HFL can work out the fixtures on this basis !

On 5/20/2017 at 01:37, Robert James said:

I agree.  Anyway if the new ground is to be available in December this year, the solution is simple. Play most of their away games during the first half of the season, and the home games from December onwards.. I am sure that the HFL can work out the fixtures on this basis !

What a crappy solution, do Cove not need the moneys from the gates to keep going?

• 4 weeks later...

He's been absolutely superb for the last couple of seasons. Went on trial at Doncaster last year and seemed to impress but didn't get a deal, can't remember why. League 1 is a big step up but I think he'll do well.

He's been absolutely superb for the last couple of seasons. Went on trial at Doncaster last year and seemed to impress but didn't get a deal, can't remember why. League 1 is a big step up but I think he'll do well.

Cheers for that! [emoji1360]

On 5/25/2017 at 11:37, HibeeJibee said:

They've fairly low crowds (and it'd save rent), but it's a good point.

I'd be surprised if a senior league gave permission for a club to play 17 away games, and thus 17 home games, in a row.

Agree.  We had to move to Airdrie to accommodate the Commonwealth Games and had to stay there after Hampden was ready for our return.  We wanted to shift venues and/ or move back earlier, but some teams complained that we should have to stay a full half season so all teams had to play one game there.  The phrase "sporting integrity" was used.  If we couldn't swap a couple of games around, nae chance that half a season's worth would be swapped.

Archived