Cove on the Move

NorthernLights

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose in an ideal world you'd regionalise into north west/east at tier 6 - though with 34 junior clubs + 2 HL teams that won't be easy compared to the 14/11/9 team junior leagues just now.

35 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'd be happy with that but I doubt the Super League clubs would be. Firstly they're overwhelmingly based in Aberdeenshire and they already whine about the cost of travelling to Inverness, far less Fort William. Secondly I think only Banks o'Dee have the required infrastructure and I doubt the others could afford the upgrade if they got promoted.

With the north juniors below the HL it could just be like the EOS/SOS situation though - only licensed clubs can get promoted to the HL?

2 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

I suppose in an ideal world you'd regionalise into north west/east at tier 6 - though with 34 junior clubs + 2 HL teams that won't be easy compared to the 14/11/9 team junior leagues just now.

With the north juniors below the HL it could just be like the EOS/SOS situation though - only licensed clubs can get promoted to the HL?

With a far smaller population, both for players and support, and funding, I don't think parallels are meaningful between the HL and LL regarding structure. Below the HL it's pretty well Welfare League in terms of resources, with a few exceptions.

7 hours ago, holme said:

Lowland league play their League cup once the league games are complete. Why do the HL play those games during the League season?

As you say the main body of the Highland League season involves 34 league games; the 5-round Highland League Cup held during the league season (with priority over league games if postponed); and in the case of easterly clubs 2 local cup competitions, the 4-round Aberdeenshire Cup and the 4-round Aberdeenshire Shield.

So not considering the Scottish Cup etc. that's a maximum of 47 games depending on cup draws and progress, and nothing is played beyond mid-April.

In contrast, the main body of the Lowland League season involves 30 league games; the opening 5 rounds of the South Challenge Cup (but without priority over league games if postponed); and for most - although not all - clubs 1 local cup competition, the 5-round EOS Qualifying Cup or Southern Counties Cup depending on their location.

So not considering the Scottish Cup etc. that's a maximum of 40 games but possibly fewer if cup-ties are postponed. Lowland League Cup and SCC Final are played off the end of the season using May.

Also there are 8 of 16 clubs in LL with plastic pitches, while 0 of 18 clubs in HL have, and some say the weather is worse too. Admittedly there are 4 LL clubs without lights.

So boiled-down HL are playing at least 10% and upto 20% more games during the main body of the season, but also giving more priority to cup-ties, lacking plastic pitches and/or suffering more postponements.

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Worth noting that they don't necessarily have to complete all of their league fixtures before the play-off, just enough so that they are definitely champions.  Edinburgh City played one or two league games after the play-offs in 2015/16.

As you say Edinburgh City had 2 games held-back in 2015-16. Worth saying it wasn't due to a backlog though: their last 2 league games against Vale of Leithen and Whitehill were postponed. They had only actually had 3 games postponed in the preceding 3 months of the season - plus their penultimate league game against Vale of Leithen (which was actually postponed twice) was their only midweek game of the whole spring:

http://edinburghcityfc.com/results and fixtures 2016-17/results and fixtures 2015-2016.html

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Also I don't know why the HL are giving priority to Cup games over League games.

If you look at Cove over the last 6 weeks, they've played 2 Aberdeenshire Shield ties (1 of them on a Saturday shifted off midweek); and also played 1 Highland League Cup tie (on a Saturday); they've another HLC tie on Saturday coming; if win it, they've another HLC tie a week on Tuesday (20th March); and if they won it, they then have the Final 3 weeks on Saturday (31st March).

Steering back on topic - their new stadium must be nearing completion as a Police v Fire Brigade charity match has been announced there in June.

Meanwhile their Highland League Cup tie at Forres is likely to go ahead tomorrow according to their twitter.

If they win, then - not considering reports of delaying the playoffs - as things stand they'd have 13-14 games to play (12 HL + 1-2 HLC) in the remaining 5 midweeks & 5 weekends of the regular season.

On 3/9/2018 at 17:03, HibeeJibee said:

Steering back on topic - their new stadium must be nearing completion as a Police v Fire Brigade charity match has been announced there in June.

Meanwhile their Highland League Cup tie at Forres is likely to go ahead tomorrow according to their twitter.

If they win, then - not considering reports of delaying the playoffs - as things stand they'd have 13-14 games to play (12 HL + 1-2 HLC) in the remaining 5 midweeks & 5 weekends of the regular season.

And win they did.

I don't think the HFL actually give a f**k. I thought Cove did

16 hours ago, EdTheDuck said:

And win they did.

I don't think the HFL actually give a f**k. I thought Cove did

Semi final is on 20th March, Final on April 7th. I'll be furious if they withdraw from it now after betting on them to lose yesterday.

On 11/03/2018 at 16:07, HibeeJibee said:

Final was Saturday 31st March - you saying it's delayed, but only by 1 week?

You're right, had some bad info. 31st of March it is. Semis are Brora (knocked out Keith with a late goal today) v Formartine and Cove v Fraserburgh on the 20th.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire-SFC said:

Is there going to be terraced areas? Or is it opening as just a one stand all seater set up?

Think it will just be standing areas behind a fence around the pitch.

Think it will just be standing areas behind a fence around the pitch.

Ah just like at most junior ground? A single paving of concrete and a waist high barrier? That’s good, just planning ahead if they get promoted, I’d rather stand at away days than sit.

Just now, Ayrshire-SFC said:

Ah just like at most junior ground? A single paving of concrete and a waist high barrier? That’s good, just planning ahead if they get promoted, I’d rather stand at away days than sit.

Aye, I like being able to wander around and watch the game from different angles. Some Highland League grounds have grassy banks around the pitch so you get a bit of elevation but I doubt Cove will do that. If you want a seat in the stand you just pay an extra quid.

Aye, I like being able to wander around and watch the game from different angles. Some Highland League grounds have grassy banks around the pitch so you get a bit of elevation but I doubt Cove will do that. If you want a seat in the stand you just pay an extra quid.

Aye that’s what I love about grounds like Montrose, Arbroath etc, you get free movement around and if you want to sit you can. Don’t mind sitting at home, as at ochilview you get no choice, but terrace over seats on away days every time

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

As a supporter of the team that your president is determined to f**k via his SFA role, can I say that I wish that your new home is a millstone round your necks.

Grow up.

• 1 month later...

Archived