What jobs/careers are out there

Mr Romanov

Nothing constructive to say or advice for the guy?

Hiya thick c*nt! Hiya pal!

Haha i was genuinely just joking. You seem to get awfy defensive about that whole escapade

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spent a bit of time out in Canada (Alberta) and although I was not directly involved in the oil industry I spent a few months in Fort McMurray,and the money flying about there is unbelievable,and they crying out for people with any type of engineering background in that industry..in fact I got talking to a joiner from South Wales who was saying the money he was on for his part was fantastico! And all he was really doing was putting together temporary accommodation blocks.

There really is a shortage of trained,university or a skilled workforce, a butcher I met in the gym from Fife is raking it in,financially for me it was a good move but of course it is different for everybody's circumstances,if you are young and qualified and don't mind travelling and the brutal cold,it could be worth a bash...I would recommend it

What about an MSc in Oil & Gas or some such boring subject in a sector with oodles of cash. Then churn out glossy marketing brochures for an oil company. Remember to buy a suit and die inside, just a little.

Don't buy a suit, nobody in O&G wears a suit.

Don't fall for the suit company propaganda.

I was speaking to a MSc in Oil and Gas, sounded like a bit of hybrid course. No idea what any of them go on to do, not convinced its engineering focused enough to get a "graduate job" in an engineering discipline.

I spent a bit of time out in Canada (Alberta) and although I was not directly involved in the oil industry I spent a few months in Fort McMurray,and the money flying about there is unbelievable,and they crying out for people with any type of engineering background in that industry..in fact I got talking to a joiner from South Wales who was saying the money he was on for his part was fantastico! And all he was really doing was putting together temporary accommodation blocks.

There really is a shortage of trained,university or a skilled workforce, a butcher I met in the gym from Fife is raking it in,financially for me it was a good move but of course it is different for everybody's circumstances,if you are young and qualified and don't mind travelling and the brutal cold,it could be worth a bash...I would recommend it

There's been plenty of boom towns in the past, Australia (East and West) was the boom country for the past few years. And for a while it was the odd town in North Dakota for shale extraction.

I'm not a huge fan, they are pretty unsustainable, prices in the area skyrocket (to the detriment of locals) and they often have a strange atmosphere with conflict between the multitude of single downtrodden men who come over and the locals who categorise every newcomer as this. And with the price plummeting, boom towns ain't what they once were. Soaring labour costs in these areas are certainly of the industries long term sustainability problem - Aberdeen is very much experiencing the effects of this now.

Good idea to make some decent cash, and experience, fast. Certainly wouldn't rule it out despite the issues surrounding it.

Im halfway through and engineering degree and pretty much at the point where i have no clue what i want or expect at the end of it, no idea what my day in day out tasks will be or whether i will enjoy it at all, crazy times i tell ya

• 3 years later...

Archived