We Need To Talk About St. Johnstone vs. Ross County

Vital win for us but the decent first half performance probably overshadowed by frustration of making such hard work of second half. As well as we've played before the break for a fair while but just when you wonder if a corner has been turned, we struggle badly in the second 45 minutes. County were much improved after a limp opening half and will probably take more confidence into next week, although still maintain that today was by far the more important game for us.

Thought our shape was good in the first half and we merited at least our one goal lead, although County had a very strong penalty claim on Woods from Croft turned down. We were far from brilliant but looked to have decent control and created a few chances. Were stretched far more in the second half though, especially after the introduction of Cardle but defended pretty well in the main, although wouldn't make a huge case for us deserving the win. Didn't think there was anything in the penalty claim just before we scored our second but McLean definitely thought about.

We still have problems in midfield but the defence is playing better. Graham is decent enough but not as good as the first few weeks suggested he might be.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably be going on my own to this, which is a good sign. Last two games I can remember I've been on my own have the been the 2-1 win over Motherwell and the 2-1 win over Celtic under Lomas. So we'll win 2-1.

Hate to say I told you so....

Thought it was going to be one of those days when Sportsound went to Allan Preston for the team news and he announced to the world that we'd dropped Kevin McDonald and brought in O'Halloran :lol:

First half was grand, McFadden running the show and us dominating, we let County play but they looked utterly toothless while we (McFadden) split their defence apart every time we got forward. Second half was embarrassing, I don't understand how the same players can week after week only turn up for 45 minutes, it was a complete shambles, no idea whats to blame tbh. As Radford says the defence seems sorted, still got my own worries about Mannus coming for the ball in his box, I'm not sure if I've just started noticing it or what, but its a bit dodgy at times. Midfield was brilliant first half but got over run in the second and lost all its shape, though Davidson for McFadden was the sub to make, tbh, or maybe even Brown on.

A wins a win though, and if we keep winning then the form will follow.

We merited the win overall, but made things difficult for ourselves towards the end. McFadden was outstanding. Fingers crossed, it looks like he might finally be ready to play a consistent and significant part in our season.

I am never biased about refereeing displays, and I felt that Ross County should have had a penalty just before O'Halloran's goal. I would have been seething if I was a Staggie. Still, we were fucked over by the referee in the match against Dundee and are due a rub of the green.

I know :huh:

I think he means that's what's to blame for the second half performance. If it's not what he meant then it's a suggestion I will make. The last few weeks the substitutes have saved us but today TW's sub choices actually weakened us. Lappin had to go off because he was about to get sent off so I can't criticise the manager for that but we had been playing well with him in the middle and just weren't the same after he went off.

It got even worse when Caddis came on for Croft though. Caddis was absolutely awful. I thought Miller should've been the one to come on for Croft at that stage. Davidson didn't play badly when he came on but I maintain we seem to look better when he's not in the team. It really saddens me to say that but we looked far better when it was McFadden, Miller and Lappin in the middle. Similarly when Wotherspoon, Miller and Lappin played second half against Dundee two weeks ago.

I think he means that's what's to blame for the second half performance. If it's not what he meant then it's a suggestion I will make. The last few weeks the substitutes have saved us but today TW's sub choices actually weakened us. Lappin had to go off because he was about to get sent off so I can't criticise the manager for that but we had been playing well with him in the middle and just weren't the same after he went off.

It got even worse when Caddis came on for Croft though. Caddis was absolutely awful. I thought Miller should've been the one to come on for Croft at that stage. Davidson didn't play badly when he came on but I maintain we seem to look better when he's not in the team. It really saddens me to say that but we looked far better when it was McFadden, Miller and Lappin in the middle. Similarly when Wotherspoon, Miller and Lappin played second half against Dundee two weeks ago.

Fair enough if thats what he meant, as its probably correct. We were struggling before the subs anyway.

Just raging, we have had 2 or 3 poor ref performances this season that has cost us points.

Hopefully they will even out, but I doubt it

It never cost you points though, suicidal defending and atrocious finishing cost you the points.

We merited the win overall, but made things difficult for ourselves towards the end. McFadden was outstanding. Fingers crossed, it looks like he might finally be ready to play a consistent and significant part in our season.

I am never biased about refereeing displays, and I felt that Ross County should have had a penalty just before O'Halloran's goal. I would have been seething if I was a Staggie. Still, we were fucked over by the referee in the match against Dundee and are due a rub of the green.

Millar clearly played the ball in that challenge. It was literally right in front of where I sit and he clearly got a decent contact on it.

Millar clearly played the ball in that challenge. It was literally right in front of where I sit and he clearly got a decent contact on it.

I was up the other end but certainly looked like the ball was won in the tackle and I was surprised McLean put the whistle to his mouth when thinking about it. As said before, did think Croft impeded Woods in the first half though.

Cliche alert, "he clearly got decent contact on the ball". Irrelevant as a stand alone comment, you can still get good contact on the ball and commit a foul. I'm not arguing one way or another as I wasn't there, but touching the ball doesn't invalidate a foul, football pundits have a lot to answer for....

I really don't understand why there was such a fuss over the Chris Millar tackle. He won the ball. It was utter desperation from County looking for a penalty. The referee was poor in general, for both teams. Some of the bookings he was dishing out were ridiculous. They were just fouls, not yellow cards. I don't usually comment on refereeing performances but I feel it's wrong for County fans to claim they lost because of him.

I really don't understand why there was such a fuss over the Chris Millar tackle. He won the ball. It was utter desperation from County looking for a penalty. The referee was poor in general, for both teams. Some of the bookings he was dishing out were ridiculous. They were just fouls, not yellow cards. I don't usually comment on refereeing performances but I feel it's wrong for County fans to claim they lost because of him.

It is possible to win the ball AND still commit a foul. Probably best if I dont keep repeating the message as it will become annoying, it doesn't make it less true. Feel free to explain why it wasn't a foul without implying that it can't be a foul because he won the ball. I'd actually like to hear an informed opinion on it.

It is possible to win the ball AND still commit a foul. Probably best if I dont keep repeating the message as it will become annoying, it doesn't make it less true. Feel free to explain why it wasn't a foul without implying that it can't be a foul because he won the ball. I'd actually like to hear an informed opinion on it.

Well for a kick off he's not impeded the man in getting the ball. He's taken the man and as a result taken the man down too. It was a clean tackle, now stop your whining.

Fwiw Boyd basically wrestle Graham all game and got away with it. Plus there was a few late flying shoulders and as for Carey's "tackle". County threw their weight around and in the end were undone by a slicker, more technical team.

Is this game worth watching on Alba tonight for the neutral?

Not really, its pretty much just 90 minutes of off target shots and 45 minutes of McFadden cutting the County defence apart

Well for a kick off he's not impeded the man in getting the ball. He's taken the man and as a result taken the man down too. It was a clean tackle, now stop your whining.

Fwiw Boyd basically wrestle Graham all game and got away with it. Plus there was a few late flying shoulders and as for Carey's "tackle". County threw their weight around and in the end were undone by a slicker, more technical team.

Now, I wasn't going to reply, but I'm not whining about the tackle. I've no idea whether it was a four or not, wasn't there, didn't see it, said so, I just get peed off with "can't be a foul got the ball " nonsense.

Yours is even worse. I presume you mean taken the ball got the man, rather than got the man then got him again, but of course that's just another version of "can't be a foul, got the ball". Actually as you describe it, assuming you mean he got the ball then got the man, it sounds like a foul, because it's basically a foul if you get the man, before, after or whether you get the ball or not. The foul is the tackle on the man.

Archived