Summer Football

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me it's pre-Christmas December that's the problem. Christmas shopping is takes up time and money and the weather is usually miserable. I like football in January. I mean, what is there to do without football in January? It would be horribly depressing.

Take the first 3 weekends in December off (the first of which should be used for the League Cup final) and return with the festive games and then the first full round of the Scottish Cup.

In short, they are the kind of kids who need to be dragged outside, kicking and screaming. I want them to go to football to enjoy watching it, not to force them to go in the cold and hope that magically they will like it.

Tbh, this situation is not football's problem. The game cannot continue to gamble on speculative and selective admirers who may or may not be bothered attending games if it suits them or not. Chopping and changing the season in the hope of a nice family day out becoming a regular fixture, particularly when its likely said family will f**k off on holiday during it anyway, is on a hiding to nothing. Its the product which will be eventually of interest, or bore them completely. Getting weans oot the hoose is murder, i agree.......but you can't hold football being shite, cold and disspiriting as f**k responsible for that!!!

People - including the supporters organisation quoted in the BBC article - are talking about a season running from March to November.

If you place the current competitions into a calendar it runs from about mid-January to mid-December (unless you'd start playing across international breaks and finals tournaments - which would seem unthinkable given a good number of internationalists play here and the increased likelihood of Scotland qualifying for the Euros in particular going forward), and incidentally you sacrifice the Christmas and New Year games which tend to be some of the best-attended...

Starting in July and having a break in January achieves all the realistic benefits, without most of the downsides of 'summer' format.

I think that has to be the starting point. Regan was saying the same, talking about a simple move to a decent mid-season break with our existing league set-up rather than the total overhaul of the league structure and fixtures calendar that Doncaster was talking about being necessary to achieve the other version of throughout-summer football.

Although there aren't any league games for about 8 or 9 weeks in June or July, you're talking about our European qualifiers having less than a month off each year at the moment with pre-season before UEFA qualifiers in early July, and also with our international players active until mid-June. It makes more sense to have the league season running closer to the UEFA calendar - i.e. playing into early June, then four weeks off (for major tournaments; for a rest) and starting again from mid-July - to give about a month more of summer football than we have at present, then using the month saved from playing in the summer to give everyone a proper break in January (e.g. 3 weeks actually off, plus 10 days of a pre-season) when nothing's happening UEFA-wise.

That way, it's just a small, undramatic change to what we have now (initially, at least) rather than any drastic change that'll cause much grief.

If as it appears we are heading for a Uefa-led seismic shift to two equally-long half-seasons, with a break of similar length to the close season, then i don't envisage much real difference. The talk however has been of completely uprooting the whole structure, with some fucking mental suggestion of when the break should be. This season is, i suspect, the longest one since 2001/2, when all divisions had a July kickoff, the season ended the 12th of May and the World Cup began on the 31st. That there is no competition this summer involvng anyone in Uefa has made this year feel like its never ending....perhaps this was in mind with the CL final in June and the PL starting back on the 8th of August. I can see the merit for countries like ourselves to start early, with the preliminaries in mind a lot more than the shit weather.....which seems to be part of the agenda.

Just noticed Stewart Gilmour bleating on about a two month winter break and a 16 team top flight.

Apparently it's too cold for kids and the elderly in winter and it would be easier for other clubs to win a league of 16. He seems to think Rangers are challenging for the top flight as all - he must've missed the catastrophe when Rangers were admitted to the bottom tier and several clubs went out of business. Oh wait...

I must admit, I quite like the idea of squeezing in two seasons a year, with the whole teams-only-playing-each-other-twice thing. The cups would probably need to run over the course of two seasons to fit everything in, but that's not really too big a deal, is it?

Even without summer football, are there big problems there that I'm missing?

If you had 10-team Premiership you could play Apertura & Clausura seasons of 18 games each, then playoffs if desired.

I'd be very surprised if enough clubs wanted to add 4 clubs, drop from 38 games to 30, lose Christmas/New Year games, and stop income for 2 months mid-season. Easy to say now St Mirren are down.

Didn't Gilmore predict 5 clubs entering administration post-"Armageddon", btw?

If you had 10-team Premiership you could play Apertura & Clausura seasons of 18 games each, then playoffs if desired.

I'd be very surprised if enough clubs wanted to add 4 clubs, drop from 38 games to 30, lose Christmas/New Year games, and stop income for 2 months mid-season. Easy to say now St Mirren are down.

Didn't Gilmore predict 5 clubs entering administration post-"Armageddon", btw?

Yeah, that's what I was referencing above. He seems to say a few things without any real basis.

If as it appears we are heading for a Uefa-led seismic shift to two equally-long half-seasons, with a break of similar length to the close season, then i don't envisage much real difference. The talk however has been of completely uprooting the whole structure, with some fucking mental suggestion of when the break should be. This season is, i suspect, the longest one since 2001/2, when all divisions had a July kickoff, the season ended the 12th of May and the World Cup began on the 31st. That there is no competition this summer involvng anyone in Uefa has made this year feel like its never ending....perhaps this was in mind with the CL final in June and the PL starting back on the 8th of August. I can see the merit for countries like ourselves to start early, with the preliminaries in mind a lot more than the shit weather.....which seems to be part of the agenda.

Ideally, we'd just be swapping July and January about - football in July warmth, off in cold January. So starting the league on the second weekend in July, finishing up on New Year's day, then starting up again for the Scottish Cup 4th round on the first weekend in Feb, and in good time for European knock-out stages, with the season ending pretty much as now.

Had a look at Doncaster's claims that we'd have to re-structure - it doesn't seem to be necessary regardless of which type of summer football they're looking at. Provided they tidy up the play-offs and we're willing to accept about 5 or 6 mid-week league games per season, summer and winter breaks of 8+ weeks are achievable.

I always feel like the season's never-ending! It's great to begin with, festive period's great, leading up to the play-offs then the play-offs too, but the rest drags on and on. I'd love shorter seasons (two per year), but I've said more than enough about that already.

Potential all-through-summer football calendars:

League / UEFA / Cup Fixtures

January

Sat 3 - Week (1) Winter break

Wed 7 -

Sat 10 - (2)

Wed 14 -

Sat 17 - (3)

Wed 21 -

Sat 24 - (4)

Wed 28 -

Sat 31 - (5)

February

Wed 4 -

Sat 7 LG1 Season begins

Wed 11 LCR1

Sat 14 LG2 SCPR

Wed 18 CL16

Sat 21 LG3

Wed 25 CL16

Sat 28 LG4 SCR1

March

Wed 4 LCR2

Sat 7 LG5

Wed 11 CL16

Sat 14 LG6 SCR2

Wed 18 CL16

Sat 21 LG7 LCR3

Wed 25 INT

Sat 28 INT CCR1

April

Wed 1 INT

Sat 4 LG8

Wed 8 -

Sat 11 LG9 LCQF

Wed 15 CLQF

Sat 18 LG10

Wed 22 CLQF

Sat 25 LG11 SCR3

Wed 29

May

Sat 2 LG12 LCSF

Wed 6 CLSF

Sat 9 LG13 CCR2

Wed 13 CLSF

Sat 16 LG14

Wed 20 -

Sat 23 LG15 League Cup Final

Wed 27 -

Sat 30 SCR4 (1) Summer break

June

Wed 3 -

Sat 6 (2) CLF (2)

Wed 10 INT

Sat 13 (3) INT (3)

Wed 17 INT

Sat 20 LG16 Season resumes

Wed 24 -

Sat 27 SCR5

July

Wed 1 CLP1

Sat 4 LG17

Wed 8 CLP1

Sat 11 LG18

Wed 15 CLP2

Sat 18 LG19

Wed 22 CLP2

Sat 25 LG20 SCQF

Wed 29 CLP3

August

Sat 1 LG21

Wed 5 CLP3

Sat 8 LG22

Wed 12 -

Sat 15 LG23

Wed 19 CLPO

Sat 22 LG24

Wed 26 CLPO

Sat 29 LG25 SCSF

September

Wed 2 INT

Sat 5 INT CCQF

Wed 9 INT

Sat 12 LG26

Wed 16 CLG1

Sat 19 LG27

Wed 23 -

Sat 26 LG28 Scottish Cup Final

Wed 30 CLG2

October

Sat 3 LG29

Wed 7 INT

Sat 10 INT CCSF

Wed 14 INT

Sat 17 LG30

Wed 21 CLG3

Sat 24 LG31

Wed 28 -

Sat 31 LG32

November

Wed 4 CLG4

Sat 7 LG33 League splits

Wed 11 INT

Sat 14 INT Challenge Cup Final

Wed 18 INT

Sat 21 LG34

Wed 25 CLG5

Sat 28 LG35

December

Wed 2 -

Sat 5 LG36

Wed 9 CLG6

Sat 12 LG37

Wed 16 -

Sat 19 LG38 End of League

Wed 23 -

Sat 26 POSF

Tue 29 POSF

League / UEFA / Cup Fixtures

January

Fri 1 Play-Off Finals / Week (1) of Winter break

Wed 6 -

Sat 9 - (2)

Wed 13 -

Sat 16 - (3)

Wed 20 -

Sat 23 - (4)

Wed 27 -

Sat 30 - (5)

February

Wed 3 -

Sat 6 LG1 Season begins

Wed 10 LCR1

Sat 13 LG2 SCPR

Wed 17 CL16

Sat 20 LG3

Wed 24 CL16

Sat 27 LG4 SCR1

March

Wed 2 LCR2

Sat 5 LG5

Wed 9 CL16

Sat 12 LG6 SCR2

Wed 16 CL16

Sat 19 LG7 LCR3

Wed 23 INT

Sat 26 INT CCR1

Wed 29 INT

April

Sat 2 LG8

Wed 6 CLQF

Sat 9 LG9 LCQF

Wed 13 CLQF

Sat 16 LG10

Wed 20 -

Sat 23 LG11 SCR3

Wed 27 CLSF

Sat 30 LG12 LCSF

May

Wed 4 CLSF

Sat 7 LG13 CCR2

Wed 11 -

Sat 14 LG14

Wed 18 LG15

Sat 21 LG16 League Cup Final

Wed 25 -

Sat 28 SCR4 CLF (1) Summer break

June

Wed 1 INT

Sat 4 (2) INT (2)

Wed 8 INT

Sat 11 (3) EURO 2016 (3)

Wed 15 EURO 2016

Sat 18 (4) EURO 2016 (4)

Wed 22 EURO 2016

Sat 25 (5) EURO 2016 (5)

Wed 29 EURO 2016 CLP1

July

Sat 2 SCR5 EURO 2016 Season resumes

Wed 6 EURO 2016 CLP1

Sat 9 LG17 EURO 2016

Wed 13 CLP2

Sat 16 LG18

Wed 20 CLP2

Sat 23 LG19

Wed 27 CLP3

Sat 30 LG20 SCQF

August

Wed 3 CLP3

Sat 6 LG21

Wed 10 LG22

Sat 13 LG23

Wed 17 CLPO

Sat 20 LG24

Wed 24 CLPO

Sat 27 LG25 SCSF

Wed 31 INT

September

Sat 3 INT CCQF

Wed 7 INT

Sat 10 LG26

Wed 14 CLG1

Sat 17 LG27

Wed 21 -

Sat 24 LG28 Scottish Cup Final

Wed 28 CLG2

October

Sat 1 LG29

Wed 5 INT

Sat 8 INT CCSF

Wed 12 INT

Sat 15 LG30

Wed 19 CLG3

Sat 22 LG31

Wed 26 -

Sat 29 LG32

November

Wed 2 CLG4

Sat 5 LG33 League splits

Wed 9 INT

Sat 12 INT Challenge Cup Final

Wed 16 INT

Sat 19 LG34

Wed 23 CLG5

Sat 26 LG35

Wed 30 -

December

Sat 3 LG36

Wed 7 CLG6

Sat 10 LG37

Wed 14 -

Sat 17 LG38 End of League

Wed 21 -

Sat 24 POSF

Wed 28 POSF

Sat 31 POF Play-Off Finals

• 2 weeks later...

So if we have a summer season due to UEFA dates the next available day is Wednesday 12th of August. (For the top level)

I am sure that most people who are pro summer football think we are going to play mid week games all summer long.

So if we have a summer season due to UEFA dates the next available day is Wednesday 12th of August. (For the top level)

I am sure that most people who are pro summer football think we are going to play mid week games all summer long.

Alternatively, SPFL could reduce the number of games by increasing league size in tiers 1 and 2 with teams playing each other once in the expanded leagues. 16 16 10 would free up 8 match days in tier 1, and 6 in tier 2.

I assume top level games would be broadcast on TV over Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon. With lower leagues having more scope for midweek games.

Alternatively, SPFL could reduce the number of games by increasing league size in tiers 1 and 2 with teams playing each other once in the expanded leagues. 16 16 10 would free up 8 match days in tier 1, and 6 in tier 2.

That would work but all the clubs who are dependant on gate money would need to reduce their costs by 16 to 20% to reflect the reduced gate money.

I assume top level games would be broadcast on TV over Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon. With lower leagues having more scope for midweek games.

That's how I would see it working, the fixtures of those in Europe in the summer months would be known so with careful planning those in the Europa league could play each other on a Sunday with the champions league team or teams if we are being optimistic playing on a Friday or Saturday if they are on a Tuesday schedule.

There is certainly nothing in the rules to prevent the lower leagues from playing as many games as they want in the summer or on UEFA dates. The championship in England use the majority of these as they play so many games in an August to first week in May season. Sometimes this seems madness but when its just a qualifier I cannot see any TV coverage of any sort effecting the attendance at a lower league game.

A single change, like 'summer football, terracing or selling beer at the ground won't work by itself.

There needs to be lots of changes all at the same time for a sustained period. The most important change needed is the attitude towards football fans from the authorities.

That would work but all the clubs who are dependant on gate money would need to reduce their costs by 16 to 20% to reflect the reduced gate money.

We hear this one alot but its only a reduction of 3 home games for 2nd teir and 4 for top tier. Chuck in group stage league cups and youre more or less as you were. Fair enough if youre a smaller team you get less games against the big teams but you also only have to play the shite teams twice aswell.

Ive said plenty times already. In the 36 and 38 game seasons. Some smaller clubs when playing each other at alteres KO times are so poorly attended that by the time theyv paid all their costs. Players stewards lights ubdersoil heating police etet the clubs have lost money putting the fixture on.

In a 30 game season, should a game be called of and rescheduled. youd have a couple free saturdays to do replays when other teams are in the cup. Rather than midweek.

I know that no system is perfect. That said i dont think the current set up is doing much good in the long term. Its had its day. Its repetetive and a right long drawn out affair

Archived