Summer Football

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...

Surprise Surprise. I brought up this very issue in the 16-16-10 thread.

Pointed out many off the same points that other clubs have stated such as playing during less competitive TV markets, Better weather, etc etc.

And i was hounded out and accused of sniffing glue or on drugs because my ideas were stupid. WELL it looks like a number of clubs (No doubt with commercial / buisiness men calling the shots) see the same sort of positives from moving to summer football that also happened to mention. Funny that.

Surprise Surprise. I brought up this very issue in the 16-16-10 thread.

Pointed out many off the same points that other clubs have stated such as playing during less competitive TV markets, Better weather, etc etc.

And i was hounded out and accused of sniffing glue or on drugs because my ideas were stupid. WELL it looks like a number of clubs (No doubt with commercial / buisiness men calling the shots) see the same sort of positives from moving to summer football that also happened to mention. Funny that.

Are you sure the two concepts are entirely related? :P

On a clear, warm Saturday afternoon in summer, there can't be many folk who haven't wished their team was playing, before shuddering at the thought of the inevitable freezing shitfests they'll be enduring later in the year.

I've thought for a long time that there should be a break for 2 or 3 weeks in December, with the time being made up in July/May. The League Cup final should be played at the beginning of December, and the first round of the Scottish Cup with the big teams returned to the beginning of January.

While I'd rather we play football in the months that we have the best chance for good conditions, I'd be very wary of a move to summer football. It would be a massive gamble which would end the fundamental outline of the football calendar that has worked well enough for a long time.

summers all very well but a bit misleading. everything else left the same the season will start in february and the cup final would be in the first week of december. if we are to have it we'd have to change the league and cup structure aswell

One of my biggest issues would be the transition to summer football. If you're moving from an August-May calendar to a February-November calendar how to you plug that time between the end of the last traditional season in May to the beginning of the new season the following February?

I can understand peoples uncertainty of moving closer to summer football as a gamble. But we have watched for over a decade the vast decline in the product that Scottish football offers the fans. Empty stadiums, horrendous TV deals, clubs going into administration / liquidation, worsening standards of football, etc etc.

Do we really think that if we keep plodding along with the same set up, things will get better?

The March - November season has its pros and cons. But i would favour including a winter shutdown instead. Starting in the 3rd week in June with Reagional league cups up until 2nd week in July and ending the season after the New Year games. League shut down until 3rd week of February and continuing until Mid May. Can have a cup game or 2 in this winter break if wanted or required. Allows for a 4 week break between seasons, plus 7-8weeks off in colder, darker days in winter (dependant on cup competitions)

During EURO and WCup years, Lower leagues continue as normal start time, Reagional league cups continue, Top league starts in 2nd or 3rd week of July dependant on how many players from various clubs are away at the tournaments.

Pros. Play in summer months more often, not freezing in the stands in January and February, More enticing for TV companies to screen games in summer months in primetime slots, more exposure to countries around the world during their off seasons, better pitches, more fans attending, etc

One of my biggest issues would be the transition to summer football. If you're moving from an August-May calendar to a February-November calendar how to you plug that time between the end of the last traditional season in May to the beginning of the new season the following February?

That's easy - you just play a shortened season, playing each team twice.

I can understand peoples uncertainty of moving closer to summer football as a gamble. But we have watched for over a decade the vast decline in the product that Scottish football offers the fans. Empty stadiums, horrendous TV deals, clubs going into administration / liquidation, worsening standards of football, etc etc.

Do we really think that if we keep plodding along with the same set up, things will get better?

The March - November season has its pros and cons. But i would favour including a winter shutdown instead. Starting in the 3rd week in June with Reagional league cups up until 2nd week in July and ending the season after the New Year games. League shut down until 3rd week of February and continuing until Mid May. Can have a cup game or 2 in this winter break if wanted or required. Allows for a 4 week break between seasons, plus 7-8weeks off in colder, darker days in winter (dependant on cup competitions)

During EURO and WCup years, Lower leagues continue as normal start time, Reagional league cups continue, Top league starts in 2nd or 3rd week of July dependant on how many players from various clubs are away at the tournaments.

Pros. Play in summer months more often, not freezing in the stands in January and February, More enticing for TV companies to screen games in summer months in primetime slots, more exposure to countries around the world during their off seasons, better pitches, more fans attending, etc

This. id much rather this than a feb-november season.. it avoids the worst of the weather (and when everyones skint after xmas) but still has the league and cup concluding in the summer.. give it a 16 team 30 game season. groups in the league cup and youre laughing. as has been said. before you cant just carry on doing nothing and hope that things will magicaly get better themselves. Things wont go back to the way they were years ago. massive tv deals in the big 4 nations and changes to european competition have made sure of that. we have to do everything we can make our product as good as it can be

People - including the supporters organisation quoted in the BBC article - are talking about a season running from March to November.

If you place the current competitions into a calendar it runs from about mid-January to mid-December (unless you'd start playing across international breaks and finals tournaments - which would seem unthinkable given a good number of internationalists play here and the increased likelihood of Scotland qualifying for the Euros in particular going forward), and incidentally you sacrifice the Christmas and New Year games which tend to be some of the best-attended...

Starting in July and having a break in January achieves all the realistic benefits, without most of the downsides of 'summer' format.

Totally and utterly in favour of changing to a summer season. Take right now as an example, there is no football on TV or in any stadium. When our league kicks back off in August it's in competition with the English league for attention. If we had a league going right now, not only would Scottish football fans be watching, but English fans suffering withdrawal symptoms might get interested, at least over the summer months.

Fewer shut downs due to weather, not playing over Christmas when folk are skint. I have kids ages 10 and 5, no way will I be taking them to a game in the depths of winter. Today, though, on a nice day like this - absolutely. Heck, you could have the league cup final in the summer, up against no opposition outside of WC and Euro years.

As for the transition, it would be manageable. Ireland did it as recently as 2003 - simply play a shortened 2002-3 season then start the new one.

Totally and utterly in favour of changing to a summer season. Take right now as an example, there is no football on TV or in any stadium. When our league kicks back off in August it's in competition with the English league for attention. If we had a league going right now, not only would Scottish football fans be watching, but English fans suffering withdrawal symptoms might get interested, at least over the summer months.

Fewer shut downs due to weather, not playing over Christmas when folk are skint. I have kids ages 10 and 5, no way will I be taking them to a game in the depths of winter. Today, though, on a nice day like this - absolutely. Heck, you could have the league cup final in the summer, up against no opposition outside of WC and Euro years.

As for the transition, it would be manageable. Ireland did it as recently as 2003 - simply play a shortened 2002-3 season then start the new one.

Why?

In short, they are the kind of kids who need to be dragged outside, kicking and screaming. I want them to go to football to enjoy watching it, not to force them to go in the cold and hope that magically they will like it.

Totally and utterly in favour of changing to a summer season. Take right now as an example, there is no football on TV or in any stadium.

Yes there is, the juniors are playing in to next week and there are internationals on at the weekend. Uefa competitions and friendlies start the first week in July. You just don't know where to look.

Totally and utterly in favour of changing to a summer season. Take right now as an example, there is no football on TV or in any stadium.

We're currently inside an international break. No games can be played unless you're prepared for clubs to have to miss their internationalists.

By chance this is also the only 1 June in every 4yrs without an international tournament, and from 2019 it'll be filled by the UEFA Nations League finals tournament & divisional playoffs, IIRC.

In short, they are the kind of kids who need to be dragged outside, kicking and screaming. I want them to go to football to enjoy watching it, not to force them to go in the cold and hope that magically they will like it.

While I agree that it's nicer to watch football being played in decent weather conditions, it would be a fundamental mistake to change the football calendar based on fairweather fans. These things go both ways. On nice summer days there are a far greater number of alternatives to going to watch a game of football.

This is one of the reasons why a winter break would be better than a March-November season.

Archived