Scotland v England...

haggis pakora

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched the game at mine with a few people I usually go to the games with - atmosphere looked pish, was glad we didn't go. Talked to a guy who went to the game, and he said the opposite. TV wasn't the best judge of how it was to be there.

I'm disappointed I wasn't there, but that disappointment is more aimed at the SFA for doing their level best to stop me going, rather than because I missed the game. It was far too steep to justify.

The atmosphere seemed incredible at the start, then after goal one the Scotland fans just let England's take the piss out of them for the rest of the match.

It was really noticeable watching it that the TV people were fiddling about with the sound throughout the game though. Crowd noise going up and down dramatically in the same song etc. So who knows.

I'd agree with most of what is being said. 12th to 16th is about the level at the moment.

Away from England, I think Belgium are a bit over rated too in 4th.

Belgium are all fur coat and no knickers. England are a decent side but one dimensional. We (Scotland) are slightly less pish than we were before Strachan.

I know people that picked this game over the Ireland game. Thank f**k I wasnt one of them.

same here, last Friday was excellent, but can't stand the c*nts who boo the away national anthem, pathetic and sad as f*ck , glad we watched the Eng game in the pub,

I felt pretty sorry for Cahill during the WC. He spent the entire time covering for Johnson, Baines and Jagielka.

He was responsible for the second goal they conceded.

And not many "superb" centre backs get punted by Aston Villa because he's fallen behind Zat Knight in the pecking order. Pretty sure that wasn't Puyols career trajectory.

For me it was obvious 99% of the problem was utter mental and physical fatigue from the war we had on friday against ireland. I don't understand why this was barely mentioned if at all in the media.

If we would have played with the same concentration and energy levels we would have done england. England are completely over rated but if we are going to beat any half decent side we need to be 100% ready.

England had an absolute walk in the park in their usual piss easy group. Who were they playing anyway on friday the isle of man was it?

Look at how we played against the world champions away from home in a european qualifier. Look at how we played against england the last time at wembley when we matched them everywhere not to mention having a packed parkhead behind us this time when we were not even close to the same team.

Our team was mentally and physically shattered for this game. Stop looking deeper

A few myths being identified? Strachan? Possibly. Mulgrew, very probably. The actual quality of the Scotland side? Most definitely.

I still have no idea what the point of that friendly was.

What a preposterous statement

What is the point of football in general? What is the point of tennis? Cabbages?

What is the point in anything

No wonder with such a fuckin stupid comment.

Why would you want to play your biggest rivals in the return friendly tie in glasgow?. Utterly fucking absurd statement to make that didn't even deserve a response

Actually, it's a pretty decent statement to make. When your "biggest rivals" don't really care half as much as you - similar to England's "rivalry" with Germany, who are much more interested in beating Holland - we would probably have had much more use out of playing a side where that sideshow was absent, and one that we could've actually beaten. Sure there was a chance we could've beaten England, but they stepped up and put out a performance that they have in them but rarely show. Put simply, if England play to their potential, they would beat us the vast majority of the time. I have absolutely no problem with meeting them in a competitive match - in fact, I would absolutely welcome it, and travel for it like I did last year for Wembley - but there just wasn't really much point in this friendly other than a payday for the SFA.

Put it this way, say the World Cup Qualifying comes around, and it turns out that if we'd played someone like Greece or Romania (both around England's position in the rankings) and won the game, we would have got into pot 2 and not pot 3, would it still have been the most worthwhile exercise we could have undertaken on a dark Tuesday night? f**k it, playing anyone in the top 200 and winning would have netted us more points than that did. Beat the Faroe Islands 2-0? 144 points. That could make all the difference come a seeding decision.

Still, the point is pretty moot. I imagine the only reason we played England up here was because it was part of the agreement around the first game down South.

Actually, it's a pretty decent statement to make. When your "biggest rivals" don't really care half as much as you - similar to England's "rivalry" with Germany, who are much more interested in beating Holland - we would probably have had much more use out of playing a side where that sideshow was absent, and one that we could've actually beaten. Sure there was a chance we could've beaten England, but they stepped up and put out a performance that they have in them but rarely show. Put simply, if England play to their potential, they would beat us the vast majority of the time. I have absolutely no problem with meeting them in a competitive match - in fact, I would absolutely welcome it, and travel for it like I did last year for Wembley - but there just wasn't really much point in this friendly other than a payday for the SFA.

Put it this way, say the World Cup Qualifying comes around, and it turns out that if we'd played someone like Greece or Romania (both around England's position in the rankings) and won the game, we would have got into pot 2 and not pot 3, would it still have been the most worthwhile exercise we could have undertaken on a dark Tuesday night? f**k it, playing anyone in the top 200 and winning would have netted us more points than that did. Beat the Faroe Islands 2-0? 144 points. That could make all the difference come a seeding decision.

Still, the point is pretty moot. I imagine the only reason we played England up here was because it was part of the agreement around the first game down South.

I fully agree with this statement. Millwall's biggest rival is West Ham - is there any reason for those two to play together right now. What about Celtic and Rangers at any point in the last three seasons?

In international football - there are very very few games that would play like an intra-British clash. Who else in Europe plays a British style of football that playing England helped us prepare for?!

Our next game is against Gibraltar - granted they are poor, but why not play a weak European nation who will defend with 11 behind the ball? Wouldn't that have been more helpful? How about playing a low ranking Eastern European nation away from home, like we'll have to do playing Georgia?

Playing England is counter productive. They are significantly better than us and play utterly different football from the other teams in the group - maybe play them before Ireland, but why on earth after?!

Never mind the colossal zero ranking points we gained from that match... dead helpful for the next qualification draw.

double-impact-jean-claude-van-damme.png

Why did we play England?

A. ££££££££££

50000 odd paying £60 or 15000-25000 paying less no brainer to the SFA unfortunately

Also this whole one way rivalry is absolute nonesense. It is very much each way. If it came to a competative game England v Scotland would sell faster down south than any pairing featuring England v anyone else

Archived