Scotland v England...

haggis pakora

I was there tonight for my for ever international. I enjoyed the overall occasion, but obviously not the result. I'm more of a club team supporter, so it felt a bit strange tonight. Atmosphere was great though.

What I will say though, is that after seeing Whittaker in real life, he's worse than I have seen on television. Also I'm not quite sure what to make of grant Hanley. He's a powerful lad but seems far too raw. He's still pretty young mind you. Andrew Roberston will be a great left back, however all two of the three England goals came down his side unfortunately. He was the wrong side of the Ox for the opener, and didn't track back hard enough of the third goal. Don't get me wrong, he was great going forward and his goal was brilliantly taken but defensively not at his best. Which is what all of our players had to be if we were to get a result.

England were better across the pitch, and have something they will admit to not having for years, pace in abundance. Sterling, oxlade and Welbeck were really fast. Clyne looked pretty decent as well.

As for Scotland, I felt May and Russell did more in about 15 minutes than what Martin did in 45. Maloney looked dead on his feet too. Russell should have been on at the same time as May in my opinion.

Needed to beat Ireland, which we achieved but sadly fell short tonight against a decent, if not spectacular England side.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats my first Scotland game in a whilst and will be my last. Took ma boy with mr and for some reason half the Jock Stein stand decided to stand for first 20 minutes. Why I dont know and thos can easily be avoided. My next rant is the Taartan Army who insist in wearing Glengarrys with hige feathers that hit u in the puss every time they lean back. I Get the feeling that they think they are the be all and end all of the Scotland support and the rest can go take a feck.. .Ma laddie enjoyed the atmosphere but at £60 for us boyh I wont rush back.

I was in the Jock Stein and basically stood for the whole game. Folk in front of me were standing so I pretty much had no choice. I was about 4 rows from the back right in the corner.

Had a good drink and a sing with our English brothers today, proper enjoyed it apart from the result! :(

Would be great to get this game on again as a regular fixture!

Dunno. I agree with those that say the fixture has lost bits relevance. A once every 4 years home-away double header would be okay, but no more than that.

Losing to England is not at all unexpected, but to lose the way we lost is disappointing. You have to ask major questions of the defence for the goals we lost. Still, better they were cut open and left looking stupid tonight in a meaningless game than on Friday.

Maybe you can put it down to the players being deflated and chucking it a bit due to England going 2-0 up right at the start of the half, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the midfield completely lost its shape and England took control of the game in the second half. Take Brown out of our midfield and that's what'll happen.

Losing to England is not at all unexpected, but to lose the way we lost is disappointing. You have to ask major questions of the defence for the goals we lost. Still, better they were cut open and left looking stupid tonight in a meaningless game than on Friday.

Maybe you can put it down to the players being deflated and chucking it a bit due to England going 2-0 up right at the start of the half, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the midfield completely lost its shape and England took control of the game in the second half. Take Brown out of our midfield and that's what'll happen.

True, tho brown did make a fair few screw ups in the 1st half.

He also nearly killed Rooney, which was pleasantly expedient.

There was an overall flatness to this game from the Scotland players that showed they really weren't that up for this. Misplaced passes in the midfield, dithering in possession, not tracking runners and the general fitness levels just weren't there.

In hindsight Russell and/or May should have started to give us a bit more energy up front early on. Martin was a carthorse and really doesn't suit our system. Suppose its better to find that out in a meaningless friendly though. Won the one that mattered, onwards and upwards.

Lets not play them again for a wee while eh! Unfortunately the peddled myth about the Premier League being 'the best league in the world' may have been lapped up by some of our players.

Players like Smalling, Cahill, and Downing are murder but because the first two play for big clubs then we seem intimidated.

Thought we'd have done what we did in Dortmund and attacked gung ho in second half but losing the lucky 2nd goal knackered us.

Only a friendly so not exactly seething but still hurts :(

Time to get rid of a bit of deadwood too imo, Martin and Whittaker will do for starters.

Watched the game on TV and was expecting Scotland to be stronger and more aggressive than England, in a way to counter balance their superior skill and ability, but in the first 70 minutes at least England were by far more aggressive, hungrier for the ball, more willing to do the dirty stuff that Scotland usually do in games against superior opposition.

The amount of times you seen the likes of Welbeck and Rooney fly into tackles showed that it was an obvious game plan to try and ruffle scotland. Thought Scotland lacked a bit of fight tonight, which might be understandable considering it was a friendly and they had just came off a tough game on Friday.

I was there tonight for my for ever international. I enjoyed the overall occasion, but obviously not the result. I'm more of a club team supporter, so it felt a bit strange tonight. Atmosphere was great though.

What I will say though, is that after seeing Whittaker in real life, he's worse than I have seen on television. Also I'm not quite sure what to make of grant Hanley. He's a powerful lad but seems far too raw. He's still pretty young mind you. Andrew Roberston will be a great left back, however all two of the three England goals came down his side unfortunately. He was the wrong side of the Ox for the opener, and didn't track back hard enough of the third goal. Don't get me wrong, he was great going forward and his goal was brilliantly taken but defensively not at his best. Which is what all of our players had to be if we were to get a result.

England were better across the pitch, and have something they will admit to not having for years, pace in abundance. Sterling, oxlade and Welbeck were really fast. Clyne looked pretty decent as well.

As for Scotland, I felt May and Russell did more in about 15 minutes than what Martin did in 45. Maloney looked dead on his feet too. Russell should have been on at the same time as May in my opinion.

Needed to beat Ireland, which we achieved but sadly fell short tonight against a decent, if not spectacular England side.

Robertson was in no way responsible for the 3rd goal ffs

Positive - scored a great goal.

Negative - it was assisted and scored by ex DABs :(

England's first and third were quality though and they're evidently the better squad of players. No real hard feelings here other than losing a derby.

Archived