Scotland v England...

haggis pakora

yes they did, scotland had heehaw, our central midfield was non existent both offensively and defensively, our defence was shown to be the level it is at (robertson the best of the 4) and our strikeforce was pretty well marked all game

The main difference was that they were clinical - neither Marshall nor Gordon had much to do but when they had a chance, England took it. Defensively they were tighter but midfield was a fairly equally fought battle.

I'm not saying that they didn't play a bit better than we did - obviously the score shows they did, but the whole 'gulf in class' thing is blowing the game out of proportion, they didn't do that much more than we did.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see why, if he can play well at Sheffield and Fletcher/Naismith aren't playing well/Injured I think he or Russell have a good chance of a game. They looked better than Chris Martin.

Judging by the press conf Strachan wasnt taking any compliments on May and Russell.

Being the dick again cos the English Media were there

I'm not saying that they didn't play a bit better than we did - obviously the score shows they did, but the whole 'gulf in class' thing is blowing the game out of proportion, they didn't do that much more than we did.

I think that if tonight had been a competitive game where England needed to win by several more goals we would have done so.

That's definitely not something that I could have said after the Wembley game last year, but tonight Scotland were woeful. Not counting games against the proper minnows it was one of the most comfortable matches for a while.

I think that if tonight had been a competitive game where England needed to win by several more goals we would have done so.

That's definitely not something that I could have said after the Wembley game last year, but tonight Scotland were woeful. Not counting games against the proper minnows it was one of the most comfortable matches for a while.

Likewise I think Scotland would be a great deal better, had it been a competitive game. Tonight was the worse we have played in ages, we looked tired and I think we played it as a friendly and didn't do nearly enough.

England deserved to win but we played into their hands by giving the ball away so often and not pressing the balll maybe that was down to so many players being shattered after the Ireland game but wanting to play tonight. Maybe Strachan should have rested a few more. Yes England had a days extra rest but they hardly got out of second gear against Slovenia on Saturday.

Robertson will improve in the defensive side of his game, anyone slating him needs to get their heads examined. The alternative is Hutton on one flank and Whittaker on the other and i'd rather see neither anywhere near the side. Some folk keep saying that the combination of Hanley and Martin in central defense will get better with more games but i'm not seeing any real improvement so far, they still look ropey. Trouble is that there isn't too many other options.

Tonight isn't anything to get too down over hower. I'd rather have gotten humped tonight than lost 1-0 against ROI on Friday night.

That's literally the only time in recent memory that I've been impressed watching England. Scotland were sloppy but England made that the case, pressed very well and just looked physically superior.

Perhaps the early hostilities and a few of the meaty challenges actually helped England play with a bit of adrenaline assisted tempo, because I can't remember seeing it in years. Scotland still should've performed a lot better though.

The people who've been slagging off Steven Fletcher recently got a proper showing up tonight too. Scotland's threat is their attacking midfield players and Fletcher's ability to bring them in has been so crucial to getting the best of them. Playing a big lump or smashing it over the top of Naismith ruins the entire system.

The last time I could say my team gave 100%, be it club or country, was a long long time ago.

But today, England were well up for the match, arguably more so than Scotland. They passed the ball around superbly, defended well, and regularly exploited Scotland's weaknesses at the back. Rooney had one of his greatest games for England and that third goal was in my opinion the best England goal since Joe Cole's volley against Sweden. The intricate passing involved in the build up play was incredible.

Scotland played better against the Republic of Ireland and won the more important game so the loss today is not really significant. Scotland could have given more though, it has to be said.

Best of luck to Scotland in the qualifiers. :)

That's literally the only time in recent memory that I've been impressed watching England. Scotland were sloppy but England made that the case, pressed very well and just looked physically superior.

Perhaps the early hostilities and a few of the meaty challenges actually helped England play with a bit of adrenaline assisted tempo, because I can't remember seeing it in years. Scotland still should've performed a lot better though.

The people who've been slagging off Steven Fletcher recently got a proper showing up tonight too. Scotland's threat is their attacking midfield players and Fletcher's ability to bring them in has been so crucial to getting the best of them. Playing a big lump or smashing it over the top of Naismith ruins the entire system.

Completely agree regarding Steven Fletcher yet there is some on here who probably still wouldn't start him in our next game.

Fletcher is a class above when it comes to our number 9 options. May looked far more lively than Martin so I suspect he'll be our alternative when Fletcher isn't available.

Russel is direct and pace to burn, his touch is also decent - didn't do himself any harm.

Bannan, D.Fletcher and Morrison also looked better than those they replaced.

We've got a decent squad coming together with cover for most positions outside the defence. Just need to find balance on the right wing - oh, and some goals scored by a striker would be helpful.

Aye Russell should definitely stay involved. His qualities are a bit more similar to those I mentioned Fletcher having. Good movement and decent at bringing others in. I can see why Watford fans are frustrated with Anya if he doesn't have players like that to link up. Great to watch when playing off intelligent players, pretty redundant when trying to make it happen for big agricultural huddies.

Mulgrew's assault on that laddie Oxlade-Chamberlain was that of a cynical c**t and deserved a red for blatant stupidity. Aside from that that lad was fantastic as was Rooney. Robertson was different class and he'll play for one of the top clubs in Europe some day if he keeps this form up

Poor tonight. First half when we had spells of possession we were far too eager to turn back and play safe. Strachan talked about players being brave on the ball on Friday night, but thought it was the opposite tonight. Keeping possession is fine but you have to create at some point.

Hodgson won the tactical battle by a mile tonight. At half time He obviously told his players to press scotland early and we couldn't string any passes together, whereas England were really comfortable in possession. It was crying out for a scotland player to crash into a tackle but we had nothing like that to lift the crowd in the second half, and were effectively bullied.

It was obvious we were struggling yet strachan seemed to be devoid of ideas. Granted they have quality throughout the squad, compared to our sheffield wed, derby, Norwich, Watford players... But these are the same players who matched the world champions a few months ago.

It does seem to be an issue that we have no plan B when teams lift the tempo and pressurise us, tonight and the last half hour in Poland. Hope the rest of the group don't get wise to it.

Robertson and Russell looked good going forward. Stevie May looked magnificent.

Mulgrew's assault on that laddie Oxlade-Chamberlain was that of a cynical c**t and deserved a red for blatant stupidity. Aside from that that lad was fantastic as was Rooney. Robertson was different class and he'll play for one of the top clubs in Europe some day if he keeps this form up

If it wasn't a friendly he'd have been sent off for sure.

He stupidly lost the ball in a daft position, went in a strop and then chased Ox down to assault him.

For me that was as embarrassing as how easily we conceded right after we'd finally scored. That 60 seconds when they upped their game truly showed how confortable they'd been beforehand.

If it wasn't a friendly he'd have been sent off for sure.

He stupidly lost the ball in a daft position, went in a strop and then chased Ox down to assault him.

For me that was as embarrassing as how easily we conceded right after we'd finally scored. That 60 seconds when they upped their game truly showed how confortable they'd been beforehand.

Thick and talentless footballer. Robertson is the polar opposite.

It shows you how far we are behind the rest. They're not even in the same league as Germany and Argentina and yet they can pump us when they feel like it

Thick and talentless footballer. Robertson is the polar opposite.

It shows you how far we are behind the rest. They're not even in the same league as Germany and Argentina and yet they can pump us when they feel like it

Yeah it's terrible supporting Scotland just now. After tonight's result we won't even be in pool 1 for the World Cup Qualifiers, that's how bad things have gotten for us. Being a couple of levels behind two countries with six World Cup's between them is the salt on the wound.

Why not just admit you're fucking chuffed right now?

Archived