Scotland v England...

haggis pakora

This fixture can probably be played at cappielow or something next time because the no way folk are going to pay 50 or 60 to watch a team who clearly don't actually care much for it. You'd have expected us to be more up for it than the opposition but that just wasnt the case.

We'd have been better with yon lad from Coldplay up front first half.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robertson was in no way responsible for the 3rd goal ffs

Maybe not directly but if you watch it back, he's watching the ball when the ball is played out wide, wasn't tight enough and allowed the ball to go past him. I'm in no way criticising the young lad, I thought he was pretty good and attacked well, but could have done better in that instance. Experience will come though.

From that we've established that Martin probably won't be selected any time soon, much like Rhodes.

Stevie May is probably 3rd choice striker now.

Johnny Russell is going to be involved more, much like May, since he's a good replacement for Anya in terms of pace and movement.

Oh yeah and Bannan shouldn't be playing unless he can get game time under his belt, same goes for Fletcher too.

Was surprised to see Strachan make so few changes to Friday's side, especially as that was such a draining match. Thought Scotland's energy levels were quite low - but chasing the ball so much doesn't help that.

England were just too good - simple as that. Faster, stronger, better. Wilshere and Rooney were superb. Best England have played in some time, and that was a second string side in a number of areas.

Thought Robertson was Scotland's best player. He's still inexperienced, but going forward he was excellent.

Enjoyable game to watch - Scotland's goal and England's 3rd in particular were brilliant.

It's difficult to be too down after the result on Friday. England looked superior to us in just about every area. I'd agree with H_B on Rooney and Wilshire, both looked a class above everyone else on the pitch.

Robertson played well for us, and it's hard to pin blame on him for the 2nd goal. The ball get's fired at him and it could have gone anywhere.

Charlie Mulgrew again continues to get away with it. Sometimes I think I'm the only person in the world that sees him as an absolute clogger that has no place in the international team. I thought Whittaker was very poor as well. Brown was missed hugely when he was replaced at H/T and Fletcher with all the best will in the world looks like a shadow of his former self.

I was down behind the goal that Robertson scored into and the build up play was a joy to watch. A really great goal and I'm chuffed that he's got that to remember from the game.

I think it's quite harsh suggesting throwing Martin aside after 4 caps, most of which have been as a sub. Yes he was shite last night but I think we should give him some time to get used to international football before discarding him. We're not exactly blessed with strikers that score 20 plus goals a season at a decent level.

Charlie Mulgrew again continues to get away with it. Sometimes I think I'm the only person in the world that sees him as an absolute clogger that has no place in the international team.

Nope. I'm with you there. He's horrible.

Did someone tell Raheem Sterling that it was a testimonial?

His defending for the Scotland goal was comical, then he did the same "after you Claude" move about 5 minutes later that nearly cost them again.

Regarding Charlie Mulgrew - he isn't horrible and is a more than suitable back up in the DM role and a very useful player to have in the squad given he can also play left back and centre back if needed to. Would he be in my first eleven? No, but almost certainly in the squad every time.

Against Ireland he had an average first half (number of stray passes), he had a very good second half and an excellent last 10-15 mins especially when it came to ball retention at crucial time of the game. Lets not get carried away here, Mulgrew isn't one of the first names on the team sheet and neither is he a clogger. He is well worth a place in the squad and shown he is capable of filling in when required. That is EXACTLY what you want from a good squad player.

I meant to say, it was hilarious walking along the Trongate as about 40 - 50 England fans came out from the Merchant City on their way to the game having a bit of a sing song (only heard the Anti IRA stuff inside the stadium) with a group of photographers and cameramen falling over one another trying to catch them misbehaving.

I think it's quite harsh suggesting throwing Martin aside after 4 caps, most of which have been as a sub. Yes he was shite last night but I think we should give him some time to get used to international football before discarding him. We're not exactly blessed with strikers that score 20 plus goals a season at a decent level.

Rhodes and McCormack have been binned by Strachan having been given just a few run outs under his tenure. It's patently obvious that Martin's style of play will never offer much to our system.

I am starting to wonder if it is our system that is fundamentally flawed in the forward area rather than just about every striker available to us (some of them who really are doing enough to get a shout at international football) being the flaw.

It wasn't the best performance from Scotland but then again three points from the Ireland game was always the most important thing that we could have taken away from the international break. Anything last night would have been a bonus.

Sublime goal by Robertson. I genuinely thought we were going to snatch a draw before conceding a third.

Was also great to see Craig Gordon back in a Scotland jersey. Not that long ago it seemed as if we had seen the last of him playing for Scotland.

It wasn't the best performance from Scotland but then again three points from the Ireland game was always the most important thing that we could have taken away from the international break. Anything last night would have been a bonus.

Sublime goal by Robertson. I genuinely thought we were going to snatch a draw before conceding a third.

Was also great to see Craig Gordon back in a Scotland jersey. Not that long ago it seemed as if we had seen the last of him playing for Scotland.

Agree with a lot of this. Friday was what mattered and while last night was a bit of a letdown it was only a friendly. Harsh reality is that England have far better quality than us and we need things to align perfectly to get a result. Last night they never looked like doing so. The ending reminded me of what Rangers did to us at Ibrox earlier this season. We scored to get it back to 2-1 but barely had time to celebrate it before they got a third and it was game over.

Good to see that the hooligan Armageddon didn't come to pass. No surprise there.

Rhodes and McCormack have been binned by Strachan having been given just a few run outs under his tenure. It's patently obvious that Martin's style of play will never offer much to our system.

I am starting to wonder if it is our system that is fundamentally flawed in the forward area rather than just about every striker available to us (some of them who really are doing enough to get a shout at international football) being the flaw.

Rhodes and McCormack have been equally harshly treated IMO. McCormack could work really well in our current system. With Martin, I think in time he could be a useful player to have. A different option from the bench if we need to be a bit more direct. I wouldn't start him ahead of some of the others, I just think it's far too soon in his international career to say he's not good enough.

From an English perspective, it's a case of 'can we play you every week'.

This isn't really a good England side, though it's heading in the right direction. It is full of pace and enthusiasm and you can tell there is competition for places in midfield/wide forward now, for the first time in a long time.

However, Scotland were very accommodating. Unlike all those nasty 'foreign' teams who don't play the game the 'English way' - keeping the ball, passing neatly, finishing well - Scotland kindly played the 'English way', but a little bit worse, which flattered England.

(Basically, what I'm trying to say is, Scotland looked like England do, when England play any of the genuinely top teams.)

Oh, and Wilshere is a pure knobend but he's fucking brilliant to watch. I love his scampering, fighty style, and when he takes a couple of touches and bursts into space, it's magic. Shame he's made of cobwebs and kittens. He reminds me of the kid at school who would start fights then cry to the teacher when he gets hit.

I think it's a shame for Scotland that the year's fixtures didn't end on Friday. It was clearly the much, much bigger game and would have left everyone feeling reasonably happy through the winter. If anything, I hope it teaches Scotland a lesson for when Germany rock up. As the away team, the Germans will have far more in their counter-attacking locker than England could muster in a million years.

This isn't really a good England side, though it's heading in the right direction. It is full of pace and enthusiasm and you can tell there is competition for places in midfield/wide forward now, for the first time in a long time.

Pretty good summary.

I think for the first time in years (and it's not perfect, there's still an element with the forwards of changing things to accomodate everyone) England look more like a club team than a group of guys pitching up and making up an 11 with the best players.

Clyne should now be England's No. 1 choice right back. Left back, I dunno. I might go for Shaw over Baines to be honest.

Centre half is still a problem. Smalling still managed to look like an absolute bombscare any time the ball came near him.

Think England will get shown up again at the next international tournament. Just like they always are really.

The intervening 2 years of positivies and enhanced hope make the crushing exit all the more enjoyable.

Their first choice is Jagielka, Cahill and Hart :lol:

Pace might get you somewhere against a small nation like Scotland, but teams like Italy and Germany will sweep past England like they always have.

Archived