top 5 metallica albums

Chris McDonald

Black

Puppets

Lightning

Kill

S&M

For me, Justice was a dreadful album despite one or two good songs. It was the production that killed it and made the album pretty much unlistenable. I was a huge Metallica fan in the 90's but can honestly say I don't think I've ever listened to Justice all the way through, although as said some songs are decent and sound good live.

Load and Reload were not bad with some cracking tracks, but I've never been able to get into St Anger or Death Magnetic.

Black

Puppets

Lightning

Kill

S&M

For me, Justice was a dreadful album despite one or two good songs. It was the production that killed it and made the album pretty much unlistenable. I was a huge Metallica fan in the 90's but can honestly say I don't think I've ever listened to Justice all the way through, although as said some songs are decent and sound good live.

Load and Reload were not bad with some cracking tracks, but I've never been able to get into St Anger or Death Magnetic.

If Justice had been produced better it would have been an utter classic, in some respects i've always felt they should re-record it to give it the place it deserves.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

We all deal with loss in our own way and deep down I'm aware that Metallica tragically survived the last millennium but I choose to believe that they all died in a bizarre gardening accident in 1993 and left a legacy of five good albums so we can only wonder what they might have sounded like if they'd lived on

1. Justice For All:  Is It Prog? Is It Thrash? Why can't you hear the bass properly? I don't really care! This was an awesome album

2. Ride the Lightning: It's like Kill em all but with better production

3. Black album: Less musically ambitious than Justice but Kirk Hammet's style really blossomed on this one 

4. Kill Em All: In someways it doesn't date well but the sound of 4 angry teenagers is in some ways timeless. If Justice strayed into prog then this wasn't too far off Punk

5. Master of Puppets: A transitional record that isn't quite as raw as lightning or as clever as Justice. For some people that's the perfect balance to me it seems neither fish nor foul

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

I'm not saying that their first 5 albums aren't their 5 best, but anyone that doesn't think there's great stuff after that is either trying too hard to be edgy, or doesn't deserve to have ears.

Load and Re-Load are two of the best rock albums of their time, and for those who dismiss them because THATSNOTMETALILIKEMETAL, then there's stuff on Hardwired that's WAY better than some tracks on each of the first 5 albums.

Granted it could lose about 3 songs and be better for it, but Hardwired is a BRILLIANT album.

4 minutes ago, Al B said:

I'm not saying that their first 5 albums aren't their 5 best, but anyone that doesn't think there's great stuff after that is either trying too hard to be edgy, or doesn't deserve to have ears.

Load and Re-Load are two of the best rock albums of their time, and for those who dismiss them because THATSNOTMETALILIKEMETAL, then there's stuff on Hardwired that's WAY better than some tracks on each of the first 5 albums.

Granted it could lose about 3 songs and be better for it, but Hardwired is a BRILLIANT album.

Spit out the Bone is up there with some of the best they have ever done imo.

4 hours ago, Al B said:

The problem was Metallica trying to be edgy with load/reload rather than fans saying ' come on to fcuk'... Still better than st anger mind you but hardwired while ok/ish just seemed to be missing something.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 23/03/2023 at 11:02, Lurkst said:

Master of Puppets

Ride The Lightning 

Kill Em All

Garage Days

And Justice For All

Haven't got any of the others.

You should, you're missing out on some amazing music my man.

• 5 months later...