The Premiership's Most Overrated/Underrated Players

PauloPerth, on 17 Nov 2014 - 17:53, said:

Ah yes one of those inbred teuchters from East Kilbride.

Agree with the opening post about bannigan, always looks a quality midfielder the few times I've seen him.

Just flat out inbred then?

Agree about that. Never seen him have a bad game.

He had plenty of nightmares for Dundee. He was only young back then, but he had plenty of bombscare moments in him.

Fraser Wright is just an inbred teuchter (His face confirms this) who has Hollywood movie style inbred teuchter strength but instead of going on a murderous rampage, he applies it to the football field. He's woeful and I'd be very disappointed and underwhelmed if we'd signed him even when we were in the Championship, which I suppose does make him underrated quite a bit, so you have a point.

GGH is extremely underrated by pretty much everyone in the league except us and Partick fans. James McPake is underrated. Regarded as a bombscare by many, he's been outstanding for us.

Gave away one, should've been two, penalties against us. Must've been the amazing movement from Frazer Wright and Brian Graham that caused two such lapses.

Frazer Wright is a far better player than James McPake, even now when he's about 73 years old.

Kyle, on 18 Nov 2014 - 09:11, said:

Gave away one, should've been two, penalties against us. Must've been the amazing movement from Frazer Wright and Brian Graham that caused two such lapses.

Frazer Wright is a far better player than James McPake, even now when he's about 73 years old.

Frazer Wright - 10 appearances this season, St Johnstone have kept 1 clean sheet.

James McPake - 14 appearances this season, during that time we've kept 6 clean sheets.

Not conclusive proof of anything, but much better than saying 'Aw yeah cause McPake gave away a pen Frazer must be better!' Wright is nothing more than a haddy. I'd hate to have him in our defence. McPake is far superior, it's not even up for discussion tbh.

For ICT -

Underrated - David Raven. A solid right back who can defend well and gets forward on the overlap and can deliver, which no-one seems to notice.

Overrated - Billy McKay. Misses a lot of chances.

The rest -

Underrated - Dave Mackay. Always does well against us but doesn't seem to get the praise of MOM's he deserves.

Overrated - Scott Brown. Seems to do ok for Scotland, for Celtic, he just kicks folk and get praise as it stops the game and momentum the other team may have.

Frazer Wright - 10 appearances this season, St Johnstone have kept 1 clean sheet.

James McPake - 14 appearances this season, during that time we've kept 6 clean sheets.

Not conclusive proof of anything, but much better than saying 'Aw yeah cause McPake gave away a pen Frazer must be better!' Wright is nothing more than a haddy. I'd hate to have him in our defence. McPake is far superior, it's not even up for discussion tbh.

So you're basing McPake being better than Wright just on the respective records of their team's defences from this season? Wright has been a part of our defence for 4 seasons now and each year our defence has been the platform for the relative success that we've achieved. McPake couldn't get into a Hibs defence that was leaking goals just last year.

I'd much rather have Frazer Wright, who's only just started playing again recently following a career threatening injury at the start of the season btw, than James McPake.

So you're basing McPake being better than Wright just on the respective records of their team's defences from this season? Wright has been a part of our defence for 4 seasons now and each year our defence has been the platform for the relative success that we've achieved. McPake couldn't get into a Hibs defence that was leaking goals just last year.

I'd much rather have Frazer Wright, who's only just started playing again recently following a career threatening injury at the start of the season btw, than James McPake.

Don't know why I'm engaging after the disastrous Dundee v St Johnstone thread but here we go - McPake never got a game in a poor Hibs side last year but then again that was the decision of Terry Butcher for the most part and look how well his decisions paid off?

McPake has rewarded Hartleys faith by playing extremely well in 99% of the games I have seen him in. He wins everything in the air and is an excellent leader and communicator. He is part of a brand new defence in which 0 of the back 4 have played together before (and latterly has a very poor right back playing at left back and a brand new goalie thrown in) and I think the clean sheets stat above is indicitave of his influence. Contrast that with Wright who is playing in an established and solid (cup winning) back line and it just makes that stat all the more impressive.

True he was culpable for the pen against you boys and you could have had another but that aside and 1 daft tackle vs Kilmarnock on the opening day I've really not got a bad word to say against him. He has a reputation of being shite on here and I'll take that onboard but from what Dundee fans have seen compared to what we were told he is the very definition of under-rated.

As for Frazer Wright I have never noticed him in a game which is probably a good thing from a defenders perspective so I'm not really in a position to compare - hardly a shocker you think your player is better than ours though. All I would say is that I watched a St. Johnstone game on Sportscene not so long ago (no idea who against) and I remarked upon the amount of pulling, pushing, shirt grabbing and climbing your defenders were doing at set pieces - everyone does it, McPake was just a bit more obvious than usual that week. I also beleive that had Sportscene got decent footage of the penalty awarded at Dens the other incident may not have made the highlights package - it was almost justification for the later decision to me. To any fan only seeing sportscene that never looked a penalty and we can all agree it was a stonewaller. (except particularly deluded Dees :P)

The only context I can give you is that Harkins gets pelters from virtually every non Dee (and some Dees) on here for being garbage. How garbage did you think he was in the games we have played against you this year? I'm fairly certain Hamilton, Motherwell and Killie fans would all say he was garbage as well - I wonder what they thought of his performances against them? The party line seems to be "aye he's shite but he always ups his game against us" - maybe - or he just plays well most weeks with the occasional stinker thrown in - the cost & risk of genius as far as most Dee's are concerned.

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

Just to add to the thread in general and in an effort to show I'm not blind to the qualities of the Perth Saints players I'd rate Mackay and Easton as underrated - although there are signs big Daves star could be on the descent. Although it caused controversy Eastons clearance when he fell was a great bit of defending and very brave. Still spewing, Boyle should have done btter!

I was also mighty impressed by O'Halloran at Dens and although he was up against McGinn who was inspired that day he posed a constant threat and option on his side - not a player I would have worried about prior to the game but someone I would be concerned about n future so certainly underrated by me. That was a great batle which I recko McGinn came out on top of on the day.

Frazer Wright is a pretty limited footballer (as a lot of centre backs are) but has eked out a decade in the top flight and the majority of that in the top six (six out of nine seasons, and one of those where his team were in the bottom six, he only played 11 games because of injury) so he must be doing something right as I don't think either Kilmarnock or St Johnstone have been in a position to carry players, especially not at centre back.

When he joined us, we went 1,000 minutes away from home without conceding a goal with him in the side, I'm not sure that would be possible to do unless the centre backs were decent players.

Like Dave Mackay, his legs are understandably starting to go so personally wouldn't be singling out either for too much praise in terms of the league as a whole but to I think his career over the past decade suggests he is a decent defender.

The only context I can give you is that Harkins gets pelters from virtually every non Dee (and some Dees) on here for being garbage. How garbage did you think he was in the games we have played against you this year? I'm fairly certain Hamilton, Motherwell and Killie fans would all say he was garbage as well - I wonder what they thought of his performances against them? The party line seems to be "aye he's shite but he always ups his game against us" - maybe - or he just plays well most weeks with the occasional stinker thrown in - the cost & risk of genius as far as most Dee's are concerned.

If only he'd had 18 months at Killie for us to evaluate his performances and ability.

Over rated at Saints - Kenny McLean. I hate to say this but he is a very inconsistent player. On his day I wouldn't swap him for any other midfielder in this division but we don't see it often enough. Sometimes its not down to him, he is wasted playing in deep which he has been doing a lot this season. He is far more effective in the final third.

Under rated - Jason Naismith. Not having as good a season as last but he can get up and down the pitch all day long. Even pops up with the odd goal now and then. Physically he is a machine, I'd like to see him used as a centre half, I think he would be solid in there but then we would lose his attacking threat from the right back area. I think he has the potential to go on to much bigger things.

Archived