Build Me A New PC (#34788)

Swarley

Continuing the series, your mission is to build me a new PC.

You have to use the Build a custom PC option on this website. I've bought stuff from them before and they are good.

Price should be about $500

PC will mainly be used for web surfing, email, MS Office, general stuff. It won't be used for gaming.

You don't need to worry about HDD, optical drive or video card as I can harvest them from my old PC. Also don't worry about the Essential Accessories and Warranty sections, not needed.

So I'm mainly interested in people's selection of case, power supply, CPU and motherboard.

Many thanks.

Might be better just getting a cheapo laptop if you're not doing anything heavy duty.

TBH I am thinking along those lines.I have a laptop and I'm thinking of buying one of those docking stations (something like this).

I don't think I really need a PC but I suppose I'm old school and just like having one around. Bit like the wife really.....

Well, you really want the i5 at least and I'd get 8Gb of memory, although you could probably get away with 4. That with a reasonable case comes to $570 and thats without an operating system

Thanks, that's very useful. and more helpful than your first post :P;)

I have a copy of Windows 7 that I can use with any new system. What about the motherboard? I've googled a few of the models and they all look much the same. Is it really worth shelling out for a more expensive one? If all you get is an extra usb port or such like then I'll go for a cheap(er) one.

Thanks, that's very useful. and more helpful than your first post :P;)

I have a copy of Windows 7 that I can use with any new system. What about the motherboard? I've googled a few of the models and they all look much the same. Is it really worth shelling out for a more expensive one? If all you get is an extra usb port or such like then I'll go for a cheap(er) one.

The $570 build was with the cheapest motherboard. All I added was the coolermaster case, 8Gb of RAM and the cheapest i5

Message me and i will build you a good un for that price. especially if your happy to run Linux. Some first class distros out there which are perfect for you

What are your shipping charges to Australia?

Might be better just getting a cheapo laptop if you're not doing anything heavy duty.

That would be his best and cheapest option on his budget.

Continuing the series, your mission is to build me a new PC.

You have to use the Build a custom PC option on this website. I've bought stuff from them before and they are good.

Price should be about $500

PC will mainly be used for web surfing, email, MS Office, general stuff. It won't be used for gaming.

You don't need to worry about HDD, optical drive or video card as I can harvest them from my old PC. Also don't worry about the Essential Accessories and Warranty sections, not needed.

So I'm mainly interested in people's selection of case, power supply, CPU and motherboard.

Many thanks.

You'd be better off going onto Ebay and searching for a Mobo bundle with memory & CPU already put in the Mobo. If you aren't gaming a 350watt PSU is more than ample and good power saving and efficiency models are too pricey.

Have a look at this Mobo bundle with CPU & memory at £187, it is more than you'll ever need IMO.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-6300-FX-4-1Ghz-8GB-DDR3-1600mhz-Corsair-Gigabyte-78LMT-Motherboard-Bundle-/140991418766?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item20d3be518e

Here is a corsair 430watt PSU that is bronze certified 80plus efficiency meaning it doesn't use too much power and costs less than £43

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corsair-Builder-Series-CX430-80-Bronze-430W-Power-Supply-PSU-CP-9020046-UK-/131323759358?pt=UK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item1e93818afe

So for £330 you get more than you need and don't tell the missus you have £170 left over. :rolleyes::lol:

That would be his best and cheapest option on his budget.

You'd be better off going onto Ebay and searching for a Mobo bundle with memory & CPU already put in the Mobo. If you aren't gaming a 350watt PSU is more than ample and good power saving and efficiency models are too pricey.

Have a look at this Mobo bundle with CPU & memory at £187, it is more than you'll ever need IMO.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-6300-FX-4-1Ghz-8GB-DDR3-1600mhz-Corsair-Gigabyte-78LMT-Motherboard-Bundle-/140991418766?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item20d3be518e

Here is a corsair 430watt PSU that is bronze certified 80plus efficiency meaning it doesn't use too much power and costs less than £43

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corsair-Builder-Series-CX430-80-Bronze-430W-Power-Supply-PSU-CP-9020046-UK-/131323759358?pt=UK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item1e93818afe

So for £330 you get more than you need and don't tell the missus you have £170 left over. :rolleyes::lol:

£330 > 500 AUD ;)

• 4 weeks later...

£330 > 500 AUD ;)

I had assumed he made an error between the dollar and pound sign when posting. :P But checking the OP's initial link in his post I did in fact get the monetary currency mixed up. :(

Australian dollars ? :lol:

Archived