Clyde V East Stirlingshire

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took Jim Duffy almost 3 seasons to get us to fourth

In his second season his first full season we ended up second bottom , but we were asked to give him the time ferguson has the same player budget which was regularly held up as an excuse for our poor league finishes under Jim Duffy

I have no problem with fans if they want to get rid of the manager still think it's a bit early but only an opinion

I want to give him time and hope he succedd's but some of his decisions confuse me,Releasing fast wingers and midfielders with others who have no pace or legs & releasing a striker on the eve of a game when we have no fit recognised strikers

If the lad wanted to leave surely on our terms ???!!

Great post from The_BullyWee!!! We continue to compare the current manager with the previous manager but for me that isn't fair. As has already been mentioned when Jim Duffy took over it was a team that required major change, when the current manager took over he inherited a team that finished 4th in the league, played good football and had some real stand out players. He then proceeds to take the team apart by releasing players and also ostracising key players from the team last year. For me this is nothing else but the current managers ego and undoubted lack of intelligence. I look at players like McQueen who now looks a total shadow of the player from last season when people were raving about Brian and also saying he was too good for us in the 3rd division. Other players like Marsh and Daily have hardly kicked a ball. It is a total farce in my opinion and an ego trip for Mr Ferguson. The players should be the most important people but I have no doubt the most important person at the club just now is Mr Ferguson, and that's probably just in his head.

ferguson has the same player budget which was regularly held up as an excuse for our poor league finishes under Jim Duffy

Which means

1 - He doesnt have less money to work with

2 - Aside from losing McCluskey and McDonald he inherited a squad who had qualified for the playoffs

3 - He decides that many of that squad aren't good enough to achieve what he wants, so gets rid of them and presumably feels what he's brought in are better. A judgement of a player is usually based on ability and attitude. So if its the players that are letting him down, that's either a misjudgement of ability, or attitude, or both

I don't doubt for a second he's trying his best and believes in the way he's going about things. That doesn't mean he's right, most managers would say that. He is inexperienced though, and with that comes risk. The two teams at the top have experienced managers. This is the first season where the pyramid kicks in. The reason for taking that risk in the hopes you get lucky is the question to be answered

By all means give him til Xmas, but if they're in real danger at the wrong end of the table it's a no brainer.

Why are people only willing to give him until Christmas!? We're joint 4th and are 6 points clear of bottom spot in a very tight league. He's going to need more time than that to adapt whether you like it or not. In an ideal world, we should see how this season pans out. I'd wager we're not going to finish bottom, in fact I'm fairly confident we'll be there or thereabouts for a play-off spot come May. If so, the season can't really be deemed as a failure. He's been under immense pressure since taking the job on to deliver, he's going to make mistakes and the very least we can do is give him the time he needs to realise them and learn from them. His passion and determination is clear, it might get him into bother at times but the guy is giving it everything for Clyde just now, he's treating it like a full time job and wants to be successful. Give him a chance.

Many games u saw this season S96. This isnt a dig just curious incase u werent there yday as one for example...

I really want him to succedd like rest o us but hes making it hard for himself...

Hope he does make a success of the job

Can fully understand the arguments put up against him might be with high profile managers and the hype we expect more I certainly think he can be a real asset with the profile and connections in the game

If it had been say a more run of the mill appointment would we still be as critical ?

on the reverse would I be as patient if it was the likes of Jim D probably not

Yours in fickleness

I want to give him time and hope he succedd's but some of his decisions confuse me,Releasing fast wingers and midfielders with others who have no pace or legs & releasing a striker on the eve of a game when we have no fit recognised strikers

If the lad wanted to leave surely on our terms ???!!

Agree did seem strange releasing Graham when we had no recognised centre forward fit but did hear about it from guy at broomhill early in week

Not an excuse

Why are people only willing to give him until Christmas!? We're joint 4th and are 6 points clear of bottom spot in a very tight league. He's going to need more time than that to adapt whether you like it or not. In an ideal world, we should see how this season pans out. I'd wager we're not going to finish bottom, in fact I'm fairly confident we'll be there or thereabouts for a play-off spot come May. If so, the season can't really be deemed as a failure. He's been under immense pressure since taking the job on to deliver, he's going to make mistakes and the very least we can do is give him the time he needs to realise them and learn from them. His passion and determination is clear, it might get him into bother at times but the guy is giving it everything for Clyde just now, he's treating it like a full time job and wants to be successful. Give him a chance.

Great post

If it had been say a more run of the mill appointment would we still be as critical ?

Yes, it's irrelevant who he is. One win at home by mid November is a reasonable cause for concern when he'd inherited a squad who reached the playoffs. He's changed that squad with what he'd deem better players. So compare like for like, where they are now compared to this time last year in terms of points. Presumably they should have more, not less

the_bully_wee makes the point. Duffy was experienced, Ferguson isnt. The question being, why take that risk in the first season the pyramid system comes in? All of us want whoever the manager is to succeed, and all of us hope theyre challenging for a playoff and not fighting off relegation

You can only judge by the current indicators which dont look great. If theyre in a very poor position by Xmas,do you take the risk of "let's see how it turns out" with that trapdoor opening? Is not reaching the playoffs but not ending up bottom either to be regarded as a success come May?

Many games u saw this season S96. This isnt a dig just curious incase u werent there yday as one for example...

I really want him to succedd like rest o us but hes making it hard for himself...

I've managed 8 this season (not as many as I'd like but sometimes Uni and work gets in the way) - that's including the tanking at Ibrox and Spartans, so I can see for myself that things aren't great just now. People are quick to draw comparisons between Duffy and Ferguson, but conveniently forgetting the former's first two seasons in charge which were absolutely diabolical. However we did see that over the course of a few seasons, he managed to build a squad around the same core players which gave us a bit of squad consistency for the first time in years and arguably, it was the key to last season's success. There is absolutely no reason why Ferguson shouldn't be given the same opportunity, especially seeing as our league position is nowhere near as bad as people are making it out to be. Say what you like about our Board, but they demonstrated some tremendous patience with Duffy and it paid off - I think they'll do the same with Ferguson. Unfortunately, it'll be the people who are calling for his head from the stand, taking very little into account when doing so that will have the final say I imagine.

Yes, it's irrelevant who he is. One win at home by mid November is a reasonable cause for concern when he'd inherited a squad who reached the playoffs. He's changed that squad with what he'd deem better players. So compare like for like, where they are now compared to this time last year in terms of points. Presumably they should have more, not less

the_bully_wee makes the point. Duffy was experienced, Ferguson isnt. The question being, why take that risk in the first season the pyramid system comes in? All of us want whoever the manager is to succeed, and all of us hope theyre challenging for a playoff and not fighting off relegation

You can only judge by the current indicators which dont look great. If theyre in a very poor position by Xmas,do you take the risk of "let's see how it turns out" with that trapdoor opening? Is not reaching the playoffs but not ending up bottom either to be regarded as a success come May?

So we assess it at Xmas so from now on we give any new manager 18 games

Wasn't there yesterday so can't comment on the game. What was alarming was just how weak the bench looked. There was cover for defence but beside that it was the under 20s. Where have watt, McManus, Daly, Sinclair all disappeared to? Are they all injured? Does Ferguson intend to play again? I know he picked up an injury which required surgery but there has been no update since .

McManus & Daly are injured, Kevin Watt got married over the weekend and think Sinclair could be bombed out due to his first half showing at Spartans! If the manager is fit or able to play for say an hour then he should maybe think about it.

Yesterday was very poor and the 5 minute 'highlights' on the official site only highlight this. Arbroath are on a poor run just now, Clyde doing better away from home so here's hoping.

Archived