Good old Gordon McQueen

ClydeNewcomer

Obviously McGeady and McCarthy had the right to play for the Republic of Ireland but other people also have the right not to like it, within reasonable bounds. Booing someone because they chose another team over yours would not be a big deal. It happens with clubs all the time e.g. players who moved away from a club getting booed when they come back with their new team.

I honestly think the elephant in the room here for a lot is that they chose Ireland.

Not many will admit it though.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McCarthy and McGeady took the decision to play for Ireland for the simple reason that in doing so they had a chance of playing in major national team contest finals (European Championships and World Cup).

As piss poor as the Republic of Ireland's league may be, their national association wasn't being run by a Cockwomble and his gang of incompetent shitgibbons more interested in saving Rangers from themselves than paying any attention to the whole game going to wrack and ruin, let alone a national squad with as much spirit as a Temperence pub. Ireland have thrived internationally whilst Scotland has stagnated on past centi-glories from the 70s & 80s.

They did what hundreds of footballers the world over do, took the FIFA golden ticket to play for another national squad other than their country of birth where they'd a chance to make a name for themselves on the international stage in the process. Good luck to them - just not against Scotland!

I don't believe that for a second. I would go one step further and say if scotland where in ireland position of qualifiying they would have still chosen ireland. There is video footage and pics of both these guys running about with ireland tops on as kids. Again I am not saying this is right or wrong but I am saying there is definitely a different mindset with irish connections in scotland than any other nationality on earth

I know people like them and everyone in glasgow does. Stop with your simple thinking and start understanding this is deeper. I guarantee you are not from glasgow, infact I will put my mortgage on it

I don't believe that for a second. I would go one step further and say if scotland where in ireland position of qualifiying they would have still chosen ireland.

I know people like them everyone in glasgow does. Stop with your simple thinking and start understanding this is deeper. I guarantee you are not from glasgow, infact I will put my mortgage on it

You may be right, but the question is, what's the problem with it?

If they feel more Irish than they do Scottish then that's up to them.

Many Glasgow born folk of Indian and Pakistani descent would probably choose to play sport or whatever for their historic homeland.

I don't believe that for a second. I would go one step further and say if scotland where in ireland position of qualifiying they would have still chosen ireland.

I know people like them everyone in glasgow does. Stop with your simple thinking and start understanding this is deeper. I guarantee you are not from glasgow, infact I will put my mortgage on it

I would love to agree/ disagree with you. If only I could understand what your last post meant?

I don't believe that for a second. I would go one step further and say if scotland where in ireland position of qualifiying they would have still chosen ireland. There is video footage and pics of both these guys running about with ireland tops on as kids. Again I am not saying this is right or wrong but I am saying there is definitely a different mindset with irish connections in scotland than any other nationality on earth

I know people like them and everyone in glasgow does. Stop with your simple thinking and start understanding this is deeper. I guarantee you are not from glasgow, infact I will put my mortgage on it

Plenty of "Kaffliks" run around Weegieland with Oirland tops, because if you are Scottish & from a Roman Catholic background you are brought up with this shite that everything to do with Ireland is the dog's bollocks no matter how godawful. It's like some bizarre form of transgenderism, except it's trans-nationalism - "I was born and brought up in Scotland all my life, but I'm really Irish inside". Pretentious scheme goblin bollocks the lot of it.

As I said before, they played for Ireland because Scotland were so completely shit it would have been stupid for two players with international ambitions to refuse the offer out of some misplaced "loyalty" to the land of their birth when that horse had long bolted long before Scifo chose Belgium over Italy because he never fancied being a "super sub".

It's just having played for Glasgow's Pretending To Be Irish More Than Mike Scott club (in McCarthy's case he's a Celtic youth team reject), this somehow "authenticates" his "wish" to be Irish in the eyes of the recreational bigots on both sides. T'was ever thus. Both did it for professional reasons, & in this day & age no one can fault them for that, so that beached whale irrelevence McQueen can take a hike.

You may be right, but the question is, what's the problem with it?

If they feel more Irish than they do Scottish then that's up to them.

Many Glasgow born folk of Indian and Pakistani descent would probably choose to play sport or whatever for their historic homeland.

I would wager that if someone of Indian subcontinent background was given the choice of playing for the Scottish football team or the Indian/Pakistan/Bangladesh one, the former would win, whereas if it was for playing cricket the situation would be reversed. Anyone who thinks sportmen care a fig about what country they play for anymore is deluding themselves - only the one with the best chance of glory. The Corinthian spirit is long dead.

If they want to play for Ireland that is entirely up to them. It's not up to me, Gordon McQueen or anyone else to criticise them for it.

Plenty others have done it down the years, so it's no big deal.

Feel free to boo and hiss at the entire Irish team and give them dogs abuse for ninety minutes. Make it a cauldron of seethe and make them scared, but to single out two guys for personal decisions made years ago through family loyalty or career development or he just likes green more than blue is a wee bit pathetic in my opinion.

Absolute shite from Gordon McQueen. In this day, lots of people feel like they are dual nationalities. Unless he has developed the ability to read minds, he should pipe down.

Funny how he never mentioned that his English born daughter Hayley often says although she supports Scotland, she doesn't consider herself Scottish. Might have a word with his own daughter first.

I know plenty of people who feel a strong connection to another nation even though they are 4th generation Scots, even people with no interest in football. I can only imagine that feeling must be even stronger the more recent their family's immigration

This predisposition is not unique to Scots-Irish. The scale of St. Patrick's Day celebrations outside Ireland, particulary in the US, attest to that. But it's not just Ireland, I know folk who are of Italian descent and are of a similar mindset despite both parents being born and raised in Scotland. It happens.

I'll still boo them both, though.

Genuine question. Are the people who hound McGeady the same people who are very much opposed to Morrison or Gilks playing and very much in favour of Steven Fletcher?

...Because those guys have some seriously conflicting views when it comes to nationality...

It all depends on whether you have a Scottish accent, more often than not.

My guess is these guys wouldn't give a damn if McGeady had chosen Wales.

I know plenty of people who feel a strong connection to another nation even though they are 4th generation Scots, even people with no interest in football. I can only imagine that feeling must be even stronger the more recent their family's immigration

When does it stop tho, i spoke to a mate once who favoured ieland over scotland despite having never been to ireland and not one living relative of his wa actualy born in ireland. youd be hard pushed in scotland to find that many people who are 100% decendant from highland clans. my ancesters came from all over the place but i have only ever lived here, feeling affection for somewhere ive never been is strange to me , in fact its fcuking cringy

Plenty of "Kaffliks" run around Weegieland with Oirland tops, because if you are Scottish & from a Roman Catholic background you are brought up with this shite that everything to do with Ireland is the dog's bollocks no matter how godawful. It's like some bizarre form of transgenderism, except it's trans-nationalism - "I was born and brought up in Scotland all my life, but I'm really Irish inside". Pretentious scheme goblin bollocks the lot of it.

As I said before, they played for Ireland because Scotland were so completely shit it would have been stupid for two players with international ambitions to refuse the offer out of some misplaced "loyalty" to the land of their birth when that horse had long bolted long before Scifo chose Belgium over Italy because he never fancied being a "super sub".

It's just having played for Glasgow's Pretending To Be Irish More Than Mike Scott club (in McCarthy's case he's a Celtic youth team reject), this somehow "authenticates" his "wish" to be Irish in the eyes of the recreational bigots on both sides. T'was ever thus. Both did it for professional reasons, & in this day & age no one can fault them for that, so that beached whale irrelevence McQueen can take a hike.

I would wager that if someone of Indian subcontinent background was given the choice of playing for the Scottish football team or the Indian/Pakistan/Bangladesh one, the former would win, whereas if it was for playing cricket the situation would be reversed. Anyone who thinks sportmen care a fig about what country they play for anymore is deluding themselves - only the one with the best chance of glory. The Corinthian spirit is long dead.

Think you are wrong there.

Look at Ryan Giggs he could have played for England but decided to play for the country of his birth missing out on major championships because he was proud to be Welsh.

Genuine question. Are the people who hound McGeady the same people who are very much opposed to Morrison or Gilks playing and very much in favour of Steven Fletcher?

...Because those guys have some seriously conflicting views when it comes to nationality...

It all depends on whether you have a Scottish accent, more often than not.

My guess is these guys wouldn't give a damn if McGeady had chosen Wales.

Probably the main difference is that the English guys who play for Scotland aren't good enough to get in the England team so the choice was made for them, McGeady and McCarthy would have got into the Scotland side and it was a straight choice for them, and they decided to reject Scotland. That would be the logic anyway.

Archived