Good old Gordon McQueen

ClydeNewcomer

My guess is these guys wouldn't give a damn if McGeady had chosen Wales.

:huh: Aside from a few Rangers supporting roasters, why wouldn't we? The anger comes from the fact that we are in direct competition with Ireland and that we'd be a far superior side if you took them from their starting 11 and put them into ours. They can cry "bigotry" all they want, like they do with just about everything, but if the tables were turned and we had Coleman and Long playing for us because of a Scottish granny they'd react in the same way.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think you are wrong there.

Look at Ryan Giggs he could have played for England but decided to play for the country of his birth missing out on major championships because he was proud to be Welsh.

No he couldn't.

Finally someone gets it. Giggs is eligible for Wales and Sierra Leone only.

Genuine question. Are the people who hound McGeady the same people who are very much opposed to Morrison or Gilks playing and very much in favour of Steven Fletcher?

...Because those guys have some seriously conflicting views when it comes to nationality...

It all depends on whether you have a Scottish accent, more often than not.

My guess is these guys wouldn't give a damn if McGeady had chosen Wales.

Nonsense! I would still hate the pair of them, it's not who they chose to play for it's because they turned their backs on Scotland. c***s the pair of them.

I'm fairly sure that the Hamilton Manager (Billy Reid?) at the time McCarthy broke in to the first team complained that the SFA coaches didn't even come to watch him play as they preferred to fill their squads with guys who were with the Old Firm. He expressed the fear that Scotland would lose out on a real talent as the Republic of Ireland were showing an interest.

McGeady presumably just had that Celtic/Irish mindset.

If I was a professional footballer, being booed by the opposition would make me want to play better.

I wonder how many English born Scotland players would have chosen Scotland if they had a chance in the England team.

These two players had the opportunity to play for two national teams that are comparable and chose ROI over their country of birth.

I wonder how many English born Scotland players would have chosen Scotland if they had a chance in the England team.

These two players had the opportunity to play for two national teams that are comparable and chose ROI over their country of birt

None. commons played for england at every level except the first team. he only opted for us when he saw the writing on the wall for his england career. the rest of our granny rules are in the championship. f**k knows what shaun maloneys back story is but i doubt hes all that malaysian

A few posts here still have this 'only in Scotland' bullshit mentality, when nothing is further from the truth. The breakup of the USSR and the former Yugoslavia has created exactly the same scenario for many players, and not even in direct competition....Croatia, Turkey, Poland and many others have players in their side who have virtually only ever been in the country to play football. This of course is a direct rival....but its no better or worse than our Anglos, who had a largely peaceful visit to Wembley last year.

None. commons played for england at every level except the first team. he only opted for us when he saw the writing on the wall for his england career. the rest of our granny rules are in the championship. f**k knows what shaun maloneys back story is but i doubt hes all that malaysian

Commons didn't play for England at any level, though you're probably right that he would have.

Steven Fletcher and Callum Paterson were both born in England, but have always been committed to playing for us. Chris Martin's dad is Scottish so there's a reasonable chance he was brought up wanting to play for us.

i read that commons played for england at under 21 and b team level. not on wikipedia tho. could be wrong. either way he plays for us becuase hes not good enough for england same goes with most of our granny rulers. its funny how none of them are ever all that good when they decide to play for us. i wish we'd stop scraping the barrel tbh

Commons didn't play for England at any level, though you're probably right that he would have.

Steven Fletcher and Callum Paterson were both born in England, but have always been committed to playing for us. Chris Martin's dad is Scottish so there's a reasonable chance he was brought up wanting to play for us.

Russel Martin was in the news yesterday saying that was pretty much the case for him.

i read that commons played for england at under 21 and b team level. not on wikipedia tho. could be wrong. either way he plays for us becuase hes not good enough for england same goes with most of our granny rulers. its funny how none of them are ever all that good when they decide to play for us. i wish we'd stop scraping the barrel tbh

James Morrison would be into double figures of England caps by now if he'd opted to play for them.

Sure i read at the time of McCarthys debut that he would've chosen us if we had asked first. Sounds like Levein dropping the ball there.

Don't think there's any way you can blame Levein for that. He was constantly getting McArthur, Caldwell and Maloney to try to twist McCarthy's arm to play for us.

Russel Martin was in the news yesterday saying that was pretty much the case for him.

James Morrison would be into double figures of England caps by now if he'd opted to play for them.

These kinds of comment tend to confuse folks, but you are both spot on. Graham Alexander is another case of a guy who was a "granny ruler" who actually felt Scottish. No reason to doubt McCarthy or McGeady, is there?

Sure i read at the time of McCarthys debut that he would've chosen us if we had asked first. Sounds like Levein dropping the ball there.

If McCarthy had wanted to play for us he could waited a bit longer than when he was 16. He made his decision, fair enough. However it's also fair enough for fans to give him some stick for it, as long as it's kept reasonable.

Archived