Good old Gordon McQueen

ClydeNewcomer

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/scotland/11219624/Gordon-McQueen-hits-out-at-James-McCarthy-and-Aiden-McGeady-over-decision-to-represent-Republic-of-Ireland.html

I know 90% of you won't agree with it and will call him silly and start breaking down the very definition of nationality and what patriotism actually means.

I don't understand why on earth they would chose ireland over scotland and McQueen being the ex scotland star certainly doesn't either.

McQueen being involved in a scotland era were passion was at it's highest. 70 thousand plus scotland fans taking over wembley and the over the top build up to world cup 78 etc. He is baffled

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand why on earth they would chose ireland over scotland

Thing is, it's none of your, my or Gordon McQueen's business.

I suspect if many on here emigrated to, for example, Australia and ended up with an Australian born Grandson who opted to represent Scotland they'd be proud as punch.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/scotland/11219624/Gordon-McQueen-hits-out-at-James-McCarthy-and-Aiden-McGeady-over-decision-to-represent-Republic-of-Ireland.html

I know 90% of you won't agree with it and will call him silly and start breaking down the very definition of nationality and what patriotism actually means.

I don't understand why on earth they would chose ireland over scotland and McQueen being the ex scotland star certainly doesn't either.

McQueen being involved in a scotland era were passion was at it's highest. 70 thousand plus scotland fans taking over wembley and the over the top build up to world cup 78 etc. He is baffled

McCarthy and McGeady took the decision to play for Ireland for the simple reason that in doing so they had a chance of playing in major national team contest finals (European Championships and World Cup).

As piss poor as the Republic of Ireland's league may be, their national association wasn't being run by a Cockwomble and his gang of incompetent shitgibbons more interested in saving Rangers from themselves than paying any attention to the whole game going to wrack and ruin, let alone a national squad with as much spirit as a Temperence pub. Ireland have thrived internationally whilst Scotland has stagnated on past centi-glories from the 70s & 80s.

They did what hundreds of footballers the world over do, took the FIFA golden ticket to play for another national squad other than their country of birth where they'd a chance to make a name for themselves on the international stage in the process. Good luck to them - just not against Scotland!

He's a mumbling degenerate idiot, and probably a heavy drinker, but he's correct here. I hope McGeady and McCarthy are given hell. Players like Morrison and Bardsley are different, as they're never going to be capped for England in a million years and whoever is in charge of Scotland has deemed them good enough, whilst they're also eligible to represent Scotland - no matter how daft the rule is. These 2 on the other hand, have absolutely no interest in playing for their own country and chose Southern Ireland for whatever daft reasons. Most probably sectarian ones.

On a more important note, McQueen's daughter is a bit of a piece. How did a wreck like him produce that?

McQueen's made an utter c**t of himself here. How exactly is it different, for say Morrison, who probably dreamed of playing and scoring for England, to then make the noble and altruistic decision to play for Scotland because he'll supposedly never win a cap....than it is for McGeady and in particular McCarthy, who imo were probably being approached and courted by the FAI as their availability became known as teenagers before even establishing themselves, to make their decision very early in their careers??? Fwiw i believe that McCarthy knows he made a huge mistake, and for this he must be pilloried to the max. McGeady, on the other hand, was clear in his loyalties; to be sure, to be sure, after having his head turned every single day alongside Bonner and having the opportunity to be a martyr for the plastic Paddies, was never committed to anything Scottish whatsoever, in exactly the same way McQueen prattles oan about Rioch and Bob Wilson, though he only seems fussed that this would never have happened in his day.....lest we forget Ray Houghton, given a twenty minute run out at a squad meet under Roxburgh, whilst at Oxford Utd, then tapped on the shooder and told he widnae make it. Very much doubt Roxburgh wasn't far from his mind when he fluked one over Pagliuca in 94. The point is he still went to the gathering becsuse he obviously wanted to play for Scotland.

I suspect if many on here emigrated to, for example, Australia and ended up with an Australian born Grandson who opted to represent Scotland they'd be proud as punch.

We all know for a fact that if these 2 exact people with the same family tree had their gran born in wales they would both be in the scotland squad.

I honestly will not be booing them and couldn't give a toss about them personally either way (certainly don't hate any of them) but not one person here can deny if it was any other country there would be none of this.

With ireland it is a completely different story. They are brought up in a completely different mindset than they would with any other country on earth.

There is an inherit 'over the top irishness' that applies to no other country. It is not a good or bad thing it is just a fact and this is what winds a lot of people up especially when they are clearly scottish enough

So ...

Born in England and feel Scottish = cool

Born in Scotland and feel Irish = traitor

Footballer in being a thicko shocker.

Captain McQueen: “I played alongside the likes of Bob Wilson and Bruce Rioch, who were born in England but they always considered themselves Scottish."

General Melchett: Splendid fellows, brave heroes risking life and limb for Blighty!

Captain McQueen: “I hate that: I’ve got no time for these players. You’re born in Glasgow but then you go and play for somebody else? What’s that all about? I’m not having that at all."

General Melchett: Filthy *** weasels, fighting their dirty underhand war.

Possibly but there is a bitterness in this wee overly patriotic country that we can't understand why anyone wouldn't be more proud to be scottish than any other nationality.

We are basically bitter, nationalistic, aggressive, overly patriotic people. It warps our perspective on a lot of things

Captain McQueen: “I played alongside the likes of Bob Wilson and Bruce Rioch, who were born in England but they always considered themselves Scottish."

General Melchett: Splendid fellows, brave heroes risking life and limb for Blighty!

Captain McQueen: “I hate that: I’ve got no time for these players. You’re born in Glasgow but then you go and play for somebody else? What’s that all about? I’m not having that at all."

General Melchett: Filthy *** weasels, fighting their dirty underhand war.

Oh bugger off darling!

I dont see why some fans dont get this. Its not giving them shit because you dont agree with the rule that allowed them to play for Ireland, or that they chose to play for Ireland - its that 2 quality players who would improve our team said they didnt want to play for Scotland.

Hypocritical because we have English born players in our team - maybe. Hardly a shock to see football fans being hypocrites though.

McQueen's made an utter c**t of himself here. How exactly is it different, for say Morrison, who probably dreamed of playing and scoring for England, to then make the noble and altruistic decision to play for Scotland because he'll supposedly never win a cap....than it is for McGeady and in particular McCarthy, who imo were probably being approached and courted by the FAI as their availability became known as teenagers before even establishing themselves, to make their decision very early in their careers??? Fwiw i believe that McCarthy knows he made a huge mistake, and for this he must be pilloried to the max. McGeady, on the other hand, was clear in his loyalties; to be sure, to be sure, after having his head turned every single day alongside Bonner and having the opportunity to be a martyr for the plastic Paddies, was never committed to anything Scottish whatsoever, in exactly the same way McQueen prattles oan about Rioch and Bob Wilson, though he only seems fussed that this would never have happened in his day.....lest we forget Ray Houghton, given a twenty minute run out at a squad meet under Roxburgh, whilst at Oxford Utd, then tapped on the shooder and told he widnae make it. Very much doubt Roxburgh wasn't far from his mind when he fluked one over Pagliuca in 94. The point is he still went to the gathering becsuse he obviously wanted to play for Scotland.

As well as Owen Coyle, Tommy Coyne, Bernie Slaven.

These guys all wanted to play for Scotland but they were - rightly or wrongly - told they weren't good enough.

McCarthy clearly knows he made an arse of it, he was a bawhair from reversing his decision a few years back. I think the fact that he stuck to his original decision is still a source of regret for him. McGeady though, doesn't appear to follow this mindset, which is fair enough.

We all know for a fact that if these 2 exact people with the same family tree had their gran born in wales they would both be in the scotland squad.

I honestly will not be booing them and couldn't give a toss about them personally either way (certainly don't hate any of them) but not one person here can deny if it was any other country there would be none of this.

With ireland it is a completely different story. They are brought up in a completely different mindset than they would with any other country on earth.

There is an inherit 'over the top irishness' that applies to no other country. It is not a good or bad thing it is just a fact and this is what winds a lot of people up especially when they are clearly scottish enough

I think in this case the problem lies with those that are wound up rather than with McGeady and McCarthy.

They are free to represent whichever country they wish (within the rules) for whatever reasons they like.

You mentioned Wales. Dare I suggest that a lot of people who are apparently up in arms about this wouldn't be so if they had chosen to play for them as opposed to Ireland?

I dont see why some fans dont get this. Its not giving them shit because you dont agree with the rule that allowed them to play for Ireland, or that they chose to play for Ireland - its that 2 quality players who would improve our team said they didnt want to play for Scotland.

Hypocritical because we have English born players in our team - maybe. Hardly a shock to see football fans being hypocrites though.

Do you think any of these 2 would get into the Scotland team under Strachan? Honest question.

Obviously McGeady and McCarthy had the right to play for the Republic of Ireland but other people also have the right not to like it, within reasonable bounds. Booing someone because they chose another team over yours would not be a big deal. It happens with clubs all the time e.g. players who moved away from a club getting booed when they come back with their new team.

You mentioned Wales. Dare I suggest that a lot of people who are apparently up in arms about this wouldn't be so if they had chosen to play for them as opposed to Ireland?

There would still be the same feeling towards them if they had chosen Wales, England or Nicaragua, from most fans who dont like them. I imagine that those who follow a team from Govan may not be frothing at the mouth quite as much though.

The main thing is "turning their back" on Scotland, who they actually chose to play for is irrelevant.

Archived