Bob geldof

cracowjambo

Any musical movement attracts its share of bandwagon jumpers - the amount of hair metal bands who grew facial hair, got tattoos and "went grunge" in '91/'92 was ridiculous for example.

The Stranglers had described themselves as 'soft rock' prior to the punk explosion.

XTC (pretty much my favourite band) were a power pop outfit who deliberately and shamelessly jumped on the punk bandwagon - it was the only way to get signed. They were mostly working class lads from a manky scheme, though, and had loved The Stooges and The New York Dolls.

It always seemed more obvious to me that The Clash's image was carefully manufactured.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not specifically for those reasons, no. ;)

I usually enjoy watching these charity events until they add the serious parts in to it and the atmosphere turns ugly. i have 2 main problems with it though. The first is having multi millionaires asking me (skint and living off a student loan) for money. Not long ago we had Jamie Oliver and Taylor Swift doing some ridiculously cringeworthy parody for money. Not long before i saw this i found out Jamie Oliver was worth 250 million pounds, which was absolutely staggering considering he is a chef, Taylor Swift is probably worth about the same and you had them doing a charity gig trying to get money out of us!!

My second problem is its always B rate celebrities like John Bishop who do other bits and pieces and are doing it to enhance their personal careers and event though they are doing good work i can't help but see through it all, and its probably on account of me being a dickhead. Geldoff doesnt particularly bother me but I'm sure he's made his millions out of all the carry on as well

It does get tiresome when anyone who has the audacity to be wealthy and involved with charity and/or politics gets the same accusations of hypocrisy, self promotion etc.

For some reason people can't get enough of really rich people barely hiding the fact that they're in positions of influence to f**k the poor as much as possible and selfishly help their rich pals.

But when anyone suggests the opposite, everyone loses their mind about it. It's a strange, very British attitude. We don't mind people being our superiors, as long as they demand this is the case.

This. See the Russell Brand thread.

It isn't just Britain though - it's the norm here in the US. Despise anyone who has less than you, idolize anyone who has more than you. How they came to be in that position is irrelevant. However, if someone wealthy dares to buck the trend and express concern for those further down the food chain, they're condemned for their "hypocrisy". It's only acceptable to care about the poor if you yourself are poor.

Edited to add: In case there's any doubt - despite what I just said, I do think Geldof's a canute.

There was a girl in our class who was the spit of Dave from Showaddywaddy so has pubescent schoolboys are want, we christened her Showaddywaddy, cos either Dave wouldn't have been funny or we didn't know at the time that was his name, thing is I can't remember the lasses real name now. It definitely wasn't Dave.

Was it Rodney?

The scraggy b*stard will likely not miss an opporchancity to join all the other "look at me" troglodytes & grab a spot on that other incidious Children in Need "cherrity" outing on Friday. Knobheaderry at its worst.

Like most of the "sulebrutty" world, cherrity causes are the oxygen needed to revive their sinking careers.

He has shafted oor Midge since 1984, the cretin.

Archived