Your Teams Best Player So Far

Stolen from the Premiership forum

Who's been your teams best player so far this season?

For us it's between Andy Graham and Danny Rogers. Rogers has finally given us a 'keeper that all Sons fans can agree is rightly our number 1. Thus ending an unbearable 'debate' that's been going on for the past couple of seasons. Whilst Andy has been a true captain, leader and model of consistency. I dread to think how horrific our goal difference would be without both of them :unsure:

Some teams will have considerably more candidates than others I'd imagine.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

•Liam Buchanan- the guy has really impressed since joining us in the summer and with 5 goals in 6 games he has really stepped up and delivered the goods with Spence out injured.

•Ben Gordon- Captain marvel himself, the guy is a real class act and could easily do a job for any other team in the league.

Fucking hell, I don't know where to begin. I don't think we've had an outright consistent performer so far.

Conroy has scored a good number of goals, with some cracking free kicks to boot, but hasn't stood out from the rest. Jimmy Scott started very slowly but has come good over the last few weeks (albeit we're losing games and he's out of position). Nade has had some games where he's been outstanding and created real problems, but on other days he's looked a bit greedy and we seem to try to build around him through long balls, which is a disservice to him.

In a way, I'd say (for me anyway), I've enjoyed watching Mark Stewart. He's shown some decent finishing at times, causes problems with his pace and gives it his all. If he can hit a bit of consistency, then I reckon he'd be a reasonable replacement for Baird. The problem is, we're trying to shoehorn through the involvement of Nade, we've got Elliot on the fringes, and are currently playing Jimmy Scott as an attacking midfielder.

I'm a fan of Conroy for us, it's finally great to see a player with excellent delivery for us. His free kicks and corners tend to be decent, all we need is someone to get on the end of them. That 40 yard free kick against Cowdenbeath. Wow. Only, he would try something like that and it would end up coming off for him, right in the top corner.

Kevin Moon and Paul Watson, I expected to be our 2 best players by a considerable margin this season, but both have been massive let-downs. With Watson, I'd bring it down to the fact that, he's had to play alongside Mckeown and either Perry or Ellis all season, when hill finally becomes 100% fit though, and replaces Perry, I'd imagine we'd see a massive improve from him. Regarding Moon, I'm left wondering if he's playing with an injury, as we already know that murray does tend to play players that are carrying injuries.

Mark Stewart's probably up there as well alongside Conroy although Stewart looks to me to a be a decent game-changer as a sub to bring on about the 60th minute, as he proved in the QotS game at Starks last month.

Nade seems to have already built up some sort of cult hero status, despite him only being decent in 3 games out of the 10 he's played so far. Hibs, QotS, and Dumbarton.

In Andy Dowie and Chris Higgins we have two more than capable defenders at this level, but without Mark Durnan alongside them they appear considerably more shaky. So I would put him forward in the "you don't know how important he is until he's missing category".

Gavin Reilly is having his best season for us though and probably ticks most boxes for being chosen. His finishing has been much more clinical, and he has added aerial ability and strong hold-up play to his existing attributes.

Honourable mention to Dan Carmichael who is probably enjoying his most consistent form for us despite virtually being frozen out last season by Jim McIntyre.

Jimmy Scott started very slowly but has come good over the last few weeks

The last few weeks? His 2 worst games for us IMO were Linlithgow away in the scottish cup and Hearts away on Saturday, he was absolutely brutal both games, and how he got the 90 minutes on Saturday is beyond me. But you do have a point, it could come down to him being played out of position. Elliot was being made to look absolutely useless on Saturday as Scott wasn't really supporting him at all which he should have been doing. When Stewart came on, and Scott moved out wide for Stewart to sit up front with Elliot, we started to see the Elliot that we last saw roughly a year ago now, so hopefully that shows murray that the 4-5-1 isn't working and we need to head back to 4-4-2 to get the most out of our strikeforce.

A worst player thread would be much easier to comment on!

Having only been a home games (Livi) I'd have to say I'm been impressed with Fordyce at Centre Back, not when he's shifted to the right though. Both the Jacobs have been good to watch and although he's off the boil just now, White has good pace, great feet and a real calmness in the box.

He's had grief for not winning enough hoofballs but when you've a big CB coming through the back of you it's a thankless task he's being asked to do. When he does win them, there's no one running off him to actually get on the end of them. Now Liviforever has removed the goal tally I'm expecting a hat trick from him!

How's Callum Booth getting on? I genuinely thought he would have been a stand-out for you lot this season..

Booth has done well when he has been given the chance, but has only featured when Stevenson was suspended for a couple games and then filled in at centre half against Livi when Forster and Fontaine were injured.

Probably Lewis Macleod or Darren McGregor.

Macleod is always a thorn in the side of the opposition. He has pace, technical ability, and he's scored something like 8 goals as well.

McGregor has far exceeded expectations so far and since he was moved to his preferred position at centre back he's been even better.

Gallagher when he's actually playing, he's been out that much and just got suspended in his first game back from injury but we're so crap he'd only have to play in quarter of our games this season and he'd still win PoTY.

Keaghan Jacobs is the only other player with noticeable quality in our team.

Archived