Sammy Reid BRFC Legend RIP

From the BRFC page:

News came through this evening of the sudden death of former club legend Sammy Reid at his Wishaw, Lanarkshire home.

Sammy will live in Berwick history of course as the man who netted the only goal in the 1-0 Cup win over Rangers at Shielfield on 28th January 1967.

Reid, a former Liverpool and Motherwell player, netted the only goal with a sweetly struck left foot shot in 32 minutes. The club extends sincere condolences to all Sammy’s family and friends.

Sammy, along with Russell Craig was guest of the club at a recent home game and was still looking very fit.

More news and details of the funeral will be released in due course.

Of the 12 players on duty that day against Rangers, Reid, Player Manager Jock Wallace, Jim Kilgannon, Ken Dowds and George Christie have all sadly passed away.

Sad news, for many the club's greatest legend.

At my old school there was a big trophy cabinet in the main hall... In the 2 sides of it there were the usual array of sporting, debating and inter-house cups and shields. But in the middle there was a signed Berwick Rangers ball - and then in the compartment beneath, a copy of the BRFC centenary history, left open at the photograph of the most famous goal in our club's history. I don't suppose even 1 in 100 people took any notice of it by my day - and he wasn't even from the school or the town - but it spoke of how much it meant to the whole of the Borders and Northumberland at the time and in the years after.

He only played 1 season at the club, scoring 11 goals in 25 appearances, but 1 of those goals in 1 of those appearances will live in fame forever.

Very sad, and many tributes will undoubtedly follow.

Sad news, for many the club's greatest legend.

At my old school there was a big trophy cabinet in the main hall... In the 2 sides of it there were the usual array of sporting, debating and inter-house cups and shields. But in the middle there was a signed Berwick Rangers ball - and then in the compartment beneath, a copy of the BRFC centenary history, left open at the photograph of the most famous goal in our club's history. I don't suppose even 1 in 100 people took any notice of it by my day - and he wasn't even from the school or the town - but it spoke of how much it meant to the whole of the Borders and Northumberland at the time and in the years after.

He only played 1 season at the club, scoring 11 goals in 25 appearances, but 1 of those goals in 1 of those appearances will live in fame forever.

Very sad, and many tributes will undoubtedly follow.

I remember that result vividly.

Don't want to drag this off topic, but Derek "cup tie" McKay would have a similar place in Aberdeen's history, and I'm sure fans of other clubs could tell similar stories. Perhaps for another thread.

Archived