Bo'ness United v Arbroath

Jambo'ness

As far as I'm led to believe clubs in the SPFL are subject to a closer scrutiny of their accounts than those in the junior game. If clubs like Bo'ness and other ambitious clubs are prepared to allow the football authorities to audit their accounts similarly then I'm sure they would be a welcome addition.

You mean we would have to be as transparent as Rangers were?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why?

What is the whole story with this?ive got no idea tbh as I drive to games

The supporters club try to run a bus to every away game outwith the local derbies and charge accordingly.

It's expected that some games the bus will run at a loss (the long round trips) and others that will run at a profit (East Fife) and the hope is that the profits will subsidise the longer trips that fewer people will make.

The problem with the last few seasons is that on the occasions where a supporters bus would easily be able to sell out, the club have run at least one bus and totally undercut the supporters club.

Bo'Ness is another game where a decent support will go through (New ground, cup match, not too far to travel) and they've done it again.

This is one argument I just find utterly bemusing and quite petty and something that would only happen with Arbroath supporters.

I’m a member of the TASC, I also have used the buses put on by the club and also have been given lifts to grounds by friends. No matter which one I use or pay for I’m going to give my support to Arbroath.

The TASC buses are fantastic as they offer transport and good banter to grounds that are normally a pain to get too, but I can’t see why the club or any other club should be chastised for putting on buses. The club have put on buses to Ibrox and Parkhead which are grounds that many Lichties who normally don’t attend most away matches would want to go to as they have some ‘star appeal’ and well it’s been a while since we have had an away trip in the later rounds of the Scottish Cup.

Time is sometimes a big decision in how I travel and certainly I’m sure it’s the same for many other people. Sometimes buses leave several hours before games which is great as you can get a drink and some food, but other people will just want to turn up to watch the game and get home due to family, work or other commitments - just like turning up to Gayfield. Some people make a day of it, some just manage the 90 minutes then have to rush off. Supporters asked about a bus being put on, and the club listened. Not something I feel like is worth all the pettiness directed to them, and I’m 99.9% they helped subsidise the last time two buses ran from the club and Tutties.

I’ll continue to use all methods at my disposal to follow the Lichties and I’ll try and support all causes and clubs associated with them too, like many other fans I’m sure. At the end of the day we want as many Lichties down cheering them on at Bo'ness!

Smokies and Wine!

This is one argument I just find utterly bemusing and quite petty and something that would only happen with Arbroath supporters.

I’m a member of the TASC, I also have used the buses put on by the club and also have been given lifts to grounds by friends. No matter which one I use or pay for I’m going to give my support to Arbroath.

The TASC buses are fantastic as they offer transport and good banter to grounds that are normally a pain to get too, but I can’t see why the club or any other club should be chastised for putting on buses. The club have put on buses to Ibrox and Parkhead which are grounds that many Lichties who normally don’t attend most away matches would want to go to as they have some ‘star appeal’ and well it’s been a while since we have had an away trip in the later rounds of the Scottish Cup.

Time is sometimes a big decision in how I travel and certainly I’m sure it’s the same for many other people. Sometimes buses leave several hours before games which is great as you can get a drink and some food, but other people will just want to turn up to watch the game and get home due to family, work or other commitments - just like turning up to Gayfield. Some people make a day of it, some just manage the 90 minutes then have to rush off. Supporters asked about a bus being put on, and the club listened. Not something I feel like is worth all the pettiness directed to them, and I’m 99.9% they helped subsidise the last time two buses ran from the club and Tutties.

I’ll continue to use all methods at my disposal to follow the Lichties and I’ll try and support all causes and clubs associated with them too, like many other fans I’m sure. At the end of the day we want as many Lichties down cheering them on at Bo'ness!

Smokies and Wine!

well said the more the merrier

Well said SBC what do people want them to do?

Just refuse to run a bus? Or hike the prices up?

People will know that TASC is a bus to go on if you want the pub beforehand like a lot of folk will and will know that the club bus is one that will go straight to and from the game.

Well said SBC what do people want them to do?

Just refuse to run a bus? Or hike the prices up?

People will know that TASC is a bus to go on if you want the pub beforehand like a lot of folk will and will know that the club bus is one that will go straight to and from the game.

my point exactly and this is not a dig at TASC I've been on their bus a couple of times and they run a good day out but unfortunately I work most Saturday mornings as do my mates I go to games with and unfortunately they leave far too early for us to make the bus so we have either drive down or in some cases miss the game altogether but I think the club have really only put on a bus for cup games in recent memory so I don't think they are doing TASC any harm but keep up the great work TASC.

Would the club be interested in putting on buses to games further afield, like TASC attempt to do? No.

Are the club interested in taking advantage of a game a lot of fans will be up for and making a few quid off running a bus to it? Yes.

Are the club interested in helping out the fans who attempt to attend every single game they possibly can? No.

Were the club interested in helping fans attend games week in week out over the years we had no supporters club running buses? No.

I could say a lot more, and I'm not having a proper go at the club here, I just think it's interested to note those questions, and the answers to them prior to coming to any sort of opinion on this matter.

Does anyone disagree with the answers I've posted to these questions?

Would the club be interested in putting on buses to games further afield, like TASC attempt to do? No.

Are the club interested in taking advantage of a game a lot of fans will be up for and making a few quid off running a bus to it? Yes.

Are the club interested in helping out the fans who attempt to attend every single game they possibly can? No.

Were the club interested in helping fans attend games week in week out over the years we had no supporters club running buses? No.

I could say a lot more, and I'm not having a proper go at the club here, I just think it's interested to note those questions, and the answers to them prior to coming to any sort of opinion on this matter.

Does anyone disagree with the answers I've posted to these questions?

I As I stated I wasn't having a go at TASC I think your right they do put on buses on high demand occasions when really they should be looking to run a bus or two themselves so TASC don't have to and maybe incorporate it into a special season ticket where the supporters who do regularly attend away can have first refusal on a seat etc but another side to the argument I was trying to convey was that TASC are not just offering a bus to the game but a whole day out with a couple of hours pub time include which unfortunately is not feasible for a few people who work on Saturday morning etc.

None which is not right they should be putting on buses for every away game although if they were to do this as someone said in a previous post it would be straight to game just before kick off and straight home after so if they did this could Tasc still run their bus I don't know I'm not privy to the finances involved in running the Tasc supporters bus but I would like to think so because a lot of fans like the whole day experience(wish I could lol).

I totally agree that there is a big difference between a bus that leaves early and gives people a chance to have a few pints/ something to eat pre match and a bus that is arranged solely to get to the game in time and get people home afterwards. Obviously what TASC want to offer supporters and what the club offer supporters when they arrange buses for 'bigger' games are two different things. Some people, like yourself, can't afford to commit the extra few hours due to families/ work etc, and that's totally understandable and one reason why what the club offer with the buses they put on is better for some fans.

The biggest issue here is communication for me. Did anyone at the TASC supporters club have any knowledge the club were planning to run a bus prior to the announcement itself? I doubt they did, although I could be wrong, and If they didn't, why not? The supporters club put in a lot of their own time and effort to try and organise transport for Arbroath fans to support the club. In a situation like this, could someone at the club not pick up the phone to TASC, have a wee chat, and maybe decide on something that works for both parties? Smaller buses, one leaving in time for a few hours in Bo'ness, one leaving in time to get people to the game for kick off. Both buses priced the same, the club and TASC involved in splitting the cost and any profit made and everyones a winner. Obviously I am not involved at the supporters club, so I certainly cant speak on their behalf and say if this would be acceptable to them or not.

Unfortunately, the communication/ relationship between the supporters club and the club itself certainly doesn't appear to be a healthy one, and it is extremely disappointing to me that the club don't appear to be interested in attempting to build bridges with the fans apart from at opportunities where the club could financially benefit. Of course I am not for a second saying that the club shouldn't be looking to bring income in wherever possible, but when it is at the expense of the only supporters club we have, it's a pretty poor show I'd say.

Aye the club are being knobs again....not that they give a f**k.

Tough trip upcoming but 2 important league games to at 1st.

Best place for pre match refreshments in Bo'ness?

Fisons club directly over from the ground in Linlithgow Road is the cheaper option. Those with more to spend and fancying a bite to eat should go to the Richmond Hotel, just down from the BP service station.

On no accounts risk the Newtown Bar.

Fisons club directly over from the ground in Linlithgow Road is the cheaper option. Those with more to spend and fancying a bite to eat should go to the Richmond Hotel, just down from the BP service station.

I thought there was a social club in the ground

NEWTOWN BAR IT IS THEN LOL

Totally agree with you Simon lichtie surely it be in best interest of both the club and TASC to work together after all one would struggle without the other and another why don't they let tasc take over the running of an Official supporters bus subsidised by the club certainly sure as most of the clubs administration is run by so few the fact someone else who more than capable of running this service would be a godsend.

Simon – you make valid points and I agree with some of them. I know there are certain supporters who travel great lengths to support Arbroath and have done for numerous years. Do the club appreciate this? Yes. Do the players appreciate this? Absolutely.

I think though you have to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. How many other football clubs run buses for their supporters? This isn’t an affluent era and apart from the likes of Queen’s Park running buses to their temporary ground or clubs running buses to the big cup ties which always pull the arm chair supporter out to dust off their scarves then is it is sustainable to run a bus every week?

What happens if only 5 or 10 people use it? You can see the effect of even something small as a programme having huge printing costs results in a 4 figure loss per year. What costs would putting on a bus that wasn’t utilised do? It’s not just the bus. I am sure that to run a bus you have to have insurance which is probably more than the bus itself.

I am sure that the club make no financial monies from putting on a bus 2-3 times a year for the glamour ties and for the crunch games, like most other clubs do. Remember we aren’t a huge club, there isn’t an endless amount of cash to spend.

If things can be done to make communications better between club and supporters club then even better. Maybe you should put yourself forward as mediator J

could someone at the club not pick up the phone to TASC, have a wee chat, and maybe decide on something that works for both parties? Smaller buses, one leaving in time for a few hours in Bo'ness, one leaving in time to get people to the game for kick off. Both buses priced the same, the club and TASC involved in splitting the cost and any profit made and everyones a winner.

Agree. This is the only thing they should come in for any criticism for, but if the club subsidises the TASC bus surely it shouldnt be to much of a problem?

Ive never been on a club bus but been on the TASC hundreds of times, if I had the choice id go on TASC bus even if it was dearer for the sole purpose that it gets you there early and allows you a few bevvies.

Dont think anyone should be abusing the club because they are running an alternative option, surely theres some sort of agreement that could be reached easily enough. Anyways lets hope both sell out, ill be going, but driving as I am aff it.

Without taking the p1ss Boness is not a great place for a few drinks.

Fisons is OK and the guys are right avoid the Newtown like the plague.

Better off stopping off in Linlithgow where there are about a dozen decent pubs - avoid the Lithgae Arms - and it is only a 5 minute hop down to the ground by bus, car or taxi..

Archived