Albion Rovers vs Arbroath

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When your team are playing against John Gemmell the last thing your fans should do is rip into him: he feeds off it!

While others sing John's praises unconditionally I'm often critical, but I can only redouble that praise today- to use a cliché, he always turns up for the big games. The Gemmell/Nicoll battle was fascinating entertainment all afternoon and the louder those Smokies insulted him, the more Beast-sided that battle became.

His colleagues deserve maximum credit also: the back four grafted right until the end to keep Arbroath's potent attack at bay- Ross D would be my choice for man of the match. To cap off the heroic defensive performance, Neil Parry made the save of the season high to his left at a crucial point in the game.

The protectors, Phillips and Davidson, were both very efficient, and going forward in midfield Chaplain and McKenzie were on excellent form - another top goal from Marc - and Mark McGuigan gave the Lichties a lot of trouble. I think they'll be happy to take the back seat, though- today's on-the-pitch hero was The Beast.

The win feels all the better because it was against worthy and proven opposition. Moore and Lumsden have a strong eleven- which could have been ten if the ref wasn't admirably lenient (I point my finger at Adam Hunter and his customary multiple bookable offences.) Linn and McManus are still among the best in the league, McCallum looks the part in goal and the goal scorer, McBride, had a very good game.

So I say well done, Mr. Young, on passing your first big test at Albion Rovers with flying colours- I think that was the best game I've seen at Cliftonhill since Paul Martin years and, while I'm attempting not to be fickle and to keep my feet on the ground, I think today the Rovers showed the spirit, work rate and potential to be considered championship material.

When your team are playing against John Gemmell the last thing your fans should do is rip into him: he feeds off it!

While others sing John's praises unconditionally I'm often critical, but I can only redouble that praise today- to use a cliché, he always turns up for the big games. The Gemmell/Nicoll battle was fascinating entertainment all afternoon and the louder those Smokies insulted him, the more Beast-sided that battle became.

His colleagues deserve maximum credit also: the back four grafted right until the end to keep Arbroath's potent attack at bay- Ross D would be my choice for man of the match. To cap off the heroic defensive performance, Neil Parry made the save of the season high to his left at a crucial point in the game.

The protectors, Phillips and Davidson, were both very efficient, and going forward in midfield Chaplain and McKenzie were on excellent form - another top goal from Marc - and Mark McGuigan gave the Lichties a lot of trouble. I think they'll be happy to take the back seat, though- today's on-the-pitch hero was The Beast.

The win feels all the better because it was against worthy and proven opposition. Moore and Lumsden have a strong eleven- which could have been ten if the ref wasn't admirably lenient (I point my finger at Adam Hunter and his customary multiple bookable offences.) Linn and McManus are still among the best in the league, McCallum looks the part in goal and the goal scorer, McBride, had a very good game.

So I say well done, Mr. Young, on passing your first big test at Albion Rovers with flying colours- I think that was the best game I've seen at Cliftonhill since Paul Martin years and, while I'm attempting not to be fickle and to keep my feet on the ground, I think today the Rovers showed the spirit, work rate and potential to be considered championship material.

Great post Albino, agree with it all!

Thought the atmosphere at the game today was superb! Well done to the travelling support, brilliant the whole game!

Think we've been awful today compared to the previous games. Poor. Deservedly beat. Cliftonhill is a shitter for us.

Again we pumped high balls far too much which were mopped up by the Rovers defence with ease. When playing Buchan we need wide players to put in crosses from the bye line not lumped from 20- 3 yards out. Surely Bobby Linn would find more room to use his pace out wide either right or left. He continually ran into traffic today and on the 1 occasion he did burst free on the left he was dragged back. On another day we might have got a draw but no complaints from me. We didn't deserve to win.

Cracking game with two good teams going for it. Great away support and the League 2 banter returned to its acerbic best. Our fat b*****d. And big John's matured into a great entertainer - loved his good-natured interactions with the Arbroath fans.

Another good game of football when I watch Rovers. I really like the 4-2-3-1 formation and they play the ball well with combinations of short passes and long balls on the flanks which works really well for them. Would be great to see more folk get into the box as soon as the ball is played wide though for a first time cross but then again it's working fine for them so far this season!

Arbroath looked a good side and they brought a good travelling support and that was the best atmosphere at home I have seen yet.

On a side note, I went to Owens Bar for the first time and the food was superb. All in all a good day at the fitba for me and the three Addlets! :thumsup2

Albion deserved to win today, but what a strike from McBride. Lost another early goal and again the diamond formation held us back IMO. Buchan was really poor, and Murray came on too late. The long ball is rubbish, and it just doesn't work. Don't know whether they were being told to persist with the long balls, but it was easy to see rovers would easily deal with high balls. Gemmell is a typical case of love to have him on your team, hate to play against him. Great travelling support very vocal, the new songs have freshened it up a bit.

Division 2 Player of the Year ?

Not for me, Grant. He actually didn't have a great game today, conceding possession a few times, wrong choices a few others. But he's a royal pain in the arse for defenders and got on the end of a tasty cross for the winner. His goal and post match celebrations were priceless. Rovers' POTY contenders at this point are all of the back four - all superb today too.

Great post Albino, agree with it all!

Wow! Never thought I'd see you post that, Paul ;)

Fascinating game that today and reminiscent of last night's titanic tussle at Parkhead. Big Gemmell was the Panto Villian as usual, and you would think away fans would realise that singling him out is a pretty daft idea. However, I'd actually have had Marc McKenzie as Man of the Match; what a positive wee player he is and as strong as an ox.

Three very good teams inhabit the top of this League and there's not much between us that I can see. All three can play a bit too, which is even better.

Wow! Never thought I'd see you post that, Paul ;)

Fascinating game that today and reminiscent of last night's titanic tussle at Parkhead. Big Gemmell was the Panto Villian as usual, and you would think away fans would realise that singling him out is a pretty daft idea. However, I'd actually have had Marc McKenzie as Man of the Match; what a positive wee player he is and as strong as an ox.

Three very good teams inhabit the top of this League and there's not much between us that I can see. All three can play a bit too, which is even better.

Haha didn't ever see it happening either but it's a cracking post...credit where it's due!

I think MOTM award was a close on, I liked our no4. Was always making himself available for a pass and put a few good tackles in. I thought bobby linn for them looked dangerous whenever he got the ball and if they were going to win today it would have came through him...luckily for us they didn't do enough to get him on the ball more or support him when he had it. Big Kevin Nicholl had a good game aswell, he was absolutely sh*te when he was with us but looks a decent player with them.

Haha didn't ever see it happening either but it's a cracking post...credit where it's due!

I think MOTM award was a close on, I liked our no4. Was always making himself available for a pass and put a few good tackles in. I thought bobby linn for them looked dangerous whenever he got the ball and if they were going to win today it would have came through him...luckily for us they didn't do enough to get him on the ball more or support him when he had it. Big Kevin Nicholl had a good game aswell, he was absolutely sh*te when he was with us but looks a decent player with them.

Our defensive players - all - we're alert to the danger that Linn poses. Alan Reid played his yellow card stopping him and shortly after, Linn was subbed. Agree that Nicoll looks better in their back four but there were one or two glimpses of the Kevin we know.

Our defensive players - all - we're alert to the danger that Linn poses. Alan Reid played his yellow card stopping him and shortly after, Linn was subbed. Agree that Nicoll looks better in their back four but there were one or two glimpses of the Kevin we know.

I think Nicholl will always be a bombscare but he looked far more comfortable with them than he ever did with us.

Did anyone else from our support think we missed Darren Young in the middle of the park today or was it just me who thought that?

Good game that. Better team won, though the winner came just at the point when they seemed to have lost momentum and Arbroath were threatening to take a bit more control. Gemmell and McKenzie are both players I've liked over the past few years - together they'll be a handful for anyone at this level.

Haven't seen Queen's Park this season but it's looking like being an interesting fight for the league.

Did anyone else from our support think we missed Darren Young in the middle of the park today or was it just me who thought that?

Just you, I think, Paul! I thought the lad Davidson looked so much more mobile and his passing was good too. Gary Phillips improved as the game went on - his fitness shining through, I believe. I'd rather see Jamie Pollock than the manager in our midfield.

Just you, I think, Paul! I thought the lad Davidson looked so much more mobile and his passing was good too. Gary Phillips improved as the game went on - his fitness shining through, I believe. I'd rather see Jamie Pollock than the manager in our midfield.

Haha, I thought so! I think Phillips is like a rabbit in the headlights every week! When he dived in for that sliding tackle in the box near the end at 2-1 I almost had a heart attack. I think Davidson and D.Young could be an interesting partnership in the middle of the park.

Archived