Livi v Sons

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its been a frustrating season for us. We were very effective last year and brought the majority of the side back. We added well, addressing areas of concern at the back, but we're nothing like the same team as we were a year ago.

The big difference is the style of football we're playing. Far more passing. Less harassing opponents. We're looking to sit back, invite opponents onto us and then try to play our way out of trouble. If you're a Hearts with that level of skill then you can play a passing game. If you're Dumbarton? We weren't technical last year but damn we were effective.

Megginson has had a poor season so far. We're short on goals and Mitch was originally a forward. I'd like to see what he can do played as an out and out forward. He looks to cut inside a hell of a lot this season and it's frustrating to see us lose an option out wide. Nish isn't going to get us the goals we need and who knows if Kane will be with us in the new year? I'd give Mitch a shot up front because the only alternatives are Fleming (brilliant work-rate but better outside the box than in it) and Campbell.

Its been a frustrating season for us. We were very effective last year and brought the majority of the side back. We added well, addressing areas of concern at the back, but we're nothing like the same team as we were a year ago.

The big difference is the style of football we're playing. Far more passing. Less harassing opponents. We're looking to sit back, invite opponents onto us and then try to play our way out of trouble. If you're a Hearts with that level of skill then you can play a passing game. If you're Dumbarton? We weren't technical last year but damn we were effective.

Megginson has had a poor season so far. We're short on goals and Mitch was originally a forward. I'd like to see what he can do played as an out and out forward. He looks to cut inside a hell of a lot this season and it's frustrating to see us lose an option out wide. Nish isn't going to get us the goals we need and who knows if Kane will be with us in the new year? I'd give Mitch a shot up front because the only alternatives are Fleming (brilliant work-rate but better outside the box than in it) and Campbell.

I think we have to go back to two up front. We need to get one or two front men in, in January if Kane isn't staying. Personally I'd punt Nish and Campbell at the earliest opportunity, but only if there are replacements available.

Would agree with that, had high hopes for McKenna when I first saw him but he's not progressed at all and can't get past the first man to go on a run and get defences on the back foot.

Talbot is the panto villain just now so why not, but I think Kyles had two og's this season (was almost three) and Talbot just the one..

You have to admit though that Talbot's own goal was pure quality.

The ball was heading out; he was not under pressure and didn't have a Hearts player near him. He puts a strong header towards the goal leaving Jamieson no chance - if it had been at the other end I'd have been well impressed.

If you're going to score an own goal do it with flair I say; don't just let it bounce off your ar5e and into the net.

You have to admit though that Talbot's own goal was pure quality.

The ball was heading out; he was not under pressure and didn't have a Hearts player near him. He puts a strong header towards the goal leaving Jamieson no chance - if it had been at the other end I'd have been well impressed.

If you're going to score an own goal do it with flair I say; don't just let it bounce off your ar5e and into the net.

Can't have been as good as Kyle Millers against Rangers. Bullet header.

post-12461-0-04814400-1396129149.jpg

The worst case of mugging someone for their boots I think I've seen - I know money's tight but trying to pull the boots off Talbot's feet during a game is right out of order. The Dumbarton player should be ashamed of himself....

Joking aside there's been at least three occasions already this season where the lad has had, what I politely term, a rush of blood to the head which could have resulted in a straigt red. Sliding in at high speed with studs up in a real "leg-breaker" but fortunately hasn't made proper contact and has escaped with a yellow or nothing at all.

In the past his tackling was generally tough but reliable; for a couple of years he was the surest person in our defence but its been getting worst. Putting aside the incident at Annan where he assulted our own goalkeeper he's been more and more of a liability. Maybe that's down to fitness, or the responsibility of being team captain for most of the games where Mensing has been absent, but something isn't working properly in there. On his day he used to be one of the best attacking left backs we've had since the McAlistair/Sabatini era; however that day hasn't happened for a while. Age wise he's just 29 which isn't particularly old for a defender.

Unfortunately we don't have a lot of alternatives at the moment.

We've got Rutherford though, who, when I've seen him, wants to go forward and can actually beat a man, unfortunately I think McGlynn has told him to hang back in certain games. McKenna played better at the last home game where he'd been switched to the left but down the right.... frustrating is the word.

What did he do to the goalkeeper? The attempted decapitation of McGinn was an absolute shocker. I, for one, look forward to having someone to shout pelters at.

Ran over and started pushing jamieson whilst he was trying to get up off the ground having failed to stop Annan from scoring. He was team captain that day as well.

Hardly leadership or motivational qualities.

Referee ran over to break it up and could easily have booked both players.

Wasn't beating his brains out or anything like that but a professional footballer of 29 should know better. Basically he needs stern management but I'm not sure McGlynn has that quality.

Ran over and started pushing jamieson whilst he was trying to get up off the ground having failed to stop Annan from scoring. He was team captain that day as well.

Hardly leadership or motivational qualities.

Referee ran over to break it up and could easily have booked both players.

Wasn't beating his brains out or anything like that but a professional footballer of 29 should know better. Basically he needs stern management but I'm not sure McGlynn has that quality.

Wow. I knew he was a bit mental but I thought it would only have been towards opposition players and the officials. He should've been fined after that, dread to think what he must be like in training.

Wow. I knew he was a bit mental but I thought it would only have been towards opposition players and the officials. He should've been fined after that, dread to think what he must be like in training.

I hope he was fined but suspect not.

He's actually a nice guy in a social environment; usually has plenty of time for the fans etc. - its just in a competitive scene...

post-12461-0-04814400-1396129149.jpg

That pic looks damning but if you take it back a couple of seconds you'll see Talbot going with a high kick and the Dumbarton player a few yards away as the sequence of events began. Looked to me at the time that.he had his boot up clearing the ball as the Dumbarton player ran in towards him, yes it was dangerous play and if he saw the Dumbarton player coming he deserved all the stick he got for it but I don't think he did.

He's done plenty other rush of blood to the head challenges though and went in two footed studs up a few times.

The Jamieson incident got blown out of proportion because a number of our fans hate Talbot and jumped on it immdediately as a chance to get him out the team. I read ridiculous claims that he assaulted him and even head butted DJ. It was a wee push on his shoulder and DJ jumped up and pushed him back a lot harder, handbags, TBH DJ deserved a rollicking for fluffing it into his own net but as the Captain Talbot shouldn't have laid his hand on him.

Fans are funny though, they certainly don't lead by example towards our own players. They hurl abuse at players and get all offended when they get some back, don't know what happened at Alloa after the whistle but their No3 gave our fans a GIRUY gesture and they were going mental wanting him to come over for a fight. Fans eh. LOL.

My main gripe with Talbot is his deliveries, they're shockingly bad, gets up the wing fine, looks great till he puts in a cross. His defending is bad too, got taken out with a turn a few times against Alloa and left for dead as their player hit the byeline of ran into the box. That and his rush of blood moments, though I didn't think he'd been as bad this season.

Certainty he'll go in two footed to a Dumbarton player now. :ph34r:

Come one mate, Talbot knew exactly what he was doing with that tackle. He cleared the ball and followed through with the full intention of doing McGinn, no doubt about it. The ball was just above waist height and he's connected with McGinns face.

No defending the red card but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt over intentionally trying to take McGinns head off. No doubt I'd have been going mental had that happened to one of our players so don't blame your fans for giving him pelters.

The Jamieson incident got blown out of proportion because a number of our fans hate Talbot and jumped on it immdediately as a chance to get him out the team. I read ridiculous claims that he assaulted him and even head butted DJ. It was a wee push on his shoulder and DJ jumped up and pushed him back a lot harder, handbags, TBH DJ deserved a rollicking for fluffing it into his own net but as the Captain Talbot shouldn't have laid his hand on him.

For the record I don't hate Talbot; he stuck with us through the 3rd and 2nd divisions whilst others such as Hamill thought they were too good to play at that level. I have to say however that repeatedly I think he's got his act together and stopped the silliness and he'll be fine for a few games and then it all fires up again. He had a bad start to last season with getting sent off against Berwick (for spitting at one of their players in front of the linesman I think) and another occasion; then it seemed to settle down only to fire up again later in the season. He frustrates the h@ll out of me because its so unnecssary; if he thought about it surely he wouldn't do any of that stuff. The high kick incident against the Dumbarton player was a case in point; as I recall the ball was actually in their half of the field - there was no need for such a action and indeed would have been easier heading or chesting the ball?

"Handbags" or not he did assault Jamieson; from a legal point he laid hands on the boy in an agressive manner and could have been charged on that basis - try doing that to a police man in the centre then defend yourself by saying it was "handbags" and see what you get? Notice he didn't try it with Mensing when he failed to pick up the Annan forward leading to their third goal - I'm pretty sure I know how it would have ended if he had.

Archived