The Rangers v Alloa Athletic

it's a totally different thing. There's no u21 game on Friday. It's a friendly away next midweek and the players are joining the squad late.

Who says McLeod won't play brilliantly in training and get on the bench for Friday night?

No matter what McLeod does he is not going to play. He played one of his best games in a Rangers jersey yesterday but he still wont get a game. There really is no reason for him not to be released... Will this be added to the SFA bending over backwards to do everything possible to aid Rangers way through the leagues? :rolleyes:

Hearts could always postpone their game if they cant cope without these players.

They are either all released to play for their clubs or none are released.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No matter what McLeod does he is not going to play. He played one of his best games in a Rangers jersey yesterday but he still wont get a game. There really is no reason for him not to be released... Will this be added to the SFA bending over backwards to do everything possible to aid Rangers way through the leagues? :rolleyes:

Hearts could always postpone their game if they cant cope without these players.

They are either all released to play for their clubs or none are released.

McLeod is diff from the hearts players, the under 21's are playing one friendly the following week and meeting up on the frid so they are going to meet up a day late with the squad where as the full team are meeting up early this week and will be together until after the England game the following tues night.

Why can't rangers just get on with it surely they can overcome Alloa at home with just one player missing!

McLeod is diff from the hearts players, the under 21's are playing one friendly the following week and meeting up on the frid so they are going to meet up a day late with the squad where as the full team are meeting up early this week and will be together until after the England game the following tues night.

Why can't rangers just get on with it surely they can overcome Alloa at home with just one player missing!

It's marginally different but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be the same co-operation shown. McLeod isn't going to feature against the Irish, we all know that. He might get a wee run out in the glorified training session against the English next midweek but it won't especially do him any harm to go play with Rangers on the Saturday in the meantime. It's not as if he even has to leave the city to do it. If Rangers are prepared to play him having not had him at training all week then I don't see any great problem with him doing so especially if we've already given Hearts players permission to play for their club on Saturday ahead of an international midweek game.

What chance? He isn't going to be playing and Strachan has said he wants to have a look at him in training and for him to feel part of the squad. Great. Let him go but if Strachan has no intention of playing him why not have him back for an important league game?

Hearts have asked for 2 or 3 of their players to be released from the Under 21s and i am pretty sure they would have more chance of featuring in that game.

McCoist has to do what is best for Rangers Football Club and that is to make sure that he is able to field the strongest team he possibly can and that team would include Lewis McLeod.

I never knew that, the SFA obviously have to be seen to be fair and impartial here.

I'd like to see MacLeod get a game but i can't see Strachan playing him.

I never knew that, the SFA obviously have to be seen to be fair and impartial here.

I'd like to see MacLeod get a game but i can't see Strachan playing him.

no Hearts players are being released from the squad. Two of the 4 are joining up later with the squad. They'll all be going to Switzerland.

A headache Hearts could do without before the Rangers game tbh, especially as at least two of them will start that game.

Different scenario away from home though. I would love a point but ultimately a good effort and not getting pumped would be a decent enough outcome.

Agreed.

Unless of course the great Lewis McLeod is not released from the Scotland squad in which case I would expect us to win by five. <_<

McLeod won't be denied anything here, he will still be with the Scotland squad for the week aside from the Saturday and even then that is just if Scotland don't need him, how quickly some have jumped on McCoists back over this is sadly unsurprising.

Heaven forbid the manager wants to play our young good players.

It's marginally different but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be the same co-operation shown. McLeod isn't going to feature against the Irish, we all know that. He might get a wee run out in the glorified training session against the English next midweek but it won't especially do him any harm to go play with Rangers on the Saturday in the meantime. It's not as if he even has to leave the city to do it. If Rangers are prepared to play him having not had him at training all week then I don't see any great problem with him doing so especially if we've already given Hearts players permission to play for their club on Saturday ahead of an international midweek game.

My own view is twofold:

1. Let the boy have an uninterrupted period with the Scotland squad. He'll enjoy it and will learn from i through working with better coaches.

2. Asking for special measures for a 20 yo sends out the wrong message to him and to the rest of the squad. With respect to Macleod it puts pressure on him due to having to cope with both Rangers and Scotland duties and to the rest of the team it says that losing one player is crucial when we have, probably, the 2nd largest squad in Scotland.

I'd say shut the f**k Ally.

My own view is twofold:

1. Let the boy have an uninterrupted period with the Scotland squad. He'll enjoy it and will learn from i through working with better coaches.

2. Asking for special measures for a 20 yo sends out the wrong message to him and to the rest of the squad. With respect to Macleod it puts pressure on him due to having to cope with both Rangers and Scotland duties and to the rest of the team it says that losing one player is crucial when we have, probably, the 2nd largest squad in Scotland.

Both entirely reasonable and fair points. I wasn't suggesting that Rangers should request him back incidentally. My post was in response to the suggestion that it shouldn't be allowed if they did. I don't see the harm in allowing it if the player and his manager want it, and especially if Hearts players are already being allowed to join up late with the 21's squad.

Both entirely reasonable and fair points. I wasn't suggesting that Rangers should request him back incidentally. My post was in response to the suggestion that it shouldn't be allowed if they did. I don't see the harm in allowing it if the player and his manager want it, and especially if Hearts players are already being allowed to join up late with the 21's squad.

I agree with your post. Our statement to the Scottish footballing public should be:

"After much consideration Skyline Drifter and The Kincardine would ask the SFA to grant a request to Rangers if they asked for Lewis Macleod to be released for club duties against Alloa. However, we would regard such a request from the management of Rangers as being not in the best interests of the player and that the club should have adequate resources to deal with next week's tie. All the best to Scotland on Friday. Make us proud"

Shall we call a press conference?

Park in any side street around the stadium. If i was a travelling supporter i would park at Asda. You may get a parking ticket but as most people know they are simply not worth the paper they are written.

Google Tinto Park..the home of benburb Juniors and park anywhere around there. It is behind Govan Asda.

I simply fail to understand why any Rangers supporter would want their club to go into a game with a weakened team but be perfectly happy for their main opposition for promotion to look to gain an advantage by asking for their players to be released.

Hasn't starchan pretty much confirmed that MacLeod won't be featuring in either game and he's just there for the experience of being in the squad?

Personally I'd say that even in a freindly, having a debut against England is a risk for any young scotland player.

It could have a massive psychological impact but any negative impact is likely tio last far far longer than any positive one.

I agree with your post. Our statement to the Scottish footballing public should be:

"After much consideration Skyline Drifter and The Kincardine would ask the SFA to grant a request to Rangers if they asked for Lewis Macleod to be released for club duties against Alloa. However, we would regard such a request from the management of Rangers as being not in the best interests of the player and that the club should have adequate resources to deal with next week's tie. All the best to Scotland on Friday. Make us proud"

Shall we call a press conference?

You can if you wish although I wouldn't flatter myself to know whether such a move would be in the best interests of the player or not. I don't really have a view on it. I just don't think it's unreasonable for Scotland to release him for a few hours if they are asked. Interesting to see now that Callum Patterson has been called up if any similar request is made for him.

My own view is twofold:

What special measures are being asked? Be very clear here..

On one thread you called me up for calling a celtc fan a 'tink' (presumably) and here you're telling a Rangers legend to "shut the f**k up" for some greenies.

Who needs enemies eh?!

I simply fail to understand why any Rangers supporter would want their club to go into a game with a weakened team but be perfectly happy for their main opposition for promotion to look to gain an advantage by asking for their players to be released.

Quislings

You can if you wish although I wouldn't flatter myself to know whether such a move would be in the best interests of the player or not. I don't really have a view on it. I just don't think it's unreasonable for Scotland to release him for a few hours if they are asked. Interesting to see now that Callum Patterson has been called up if any similar request is made for him.

I'd doubt that, he's suspended for the weekend anyway

After a great 4-0 win vs Ayr yesterday and taking a point off of rangers earlier in the season I am slightly more confident than I was at the start of the season. Will be happy with a decent performance here and appoint would be great. 1-0 Rangers is my prediction though.

Archived