Falkirk v Heart of Midlothian, 15/11/2014

It also meant a lot of good, loyal people lost their jobs and we were very close to going bust.

It's not a walk in the park like some would have you think.

Not saying it was. It's admirable the way Hearts fans have rallied round the club and are still sticking by them in the Championship.

Doesn't detract from the fact your basket case management spent money the club didn't have to buy success. It's the same as bankers pocketing huge bonuses during the good times but not being accountable when the whole thing unravels.

It will happen again at other clubs though so isn't really a punishment.

Football is in a unique position. If any other business is going to the wall no-one really cares. When it's a football club that's been around as long as Hearts a lot of people care and usually will save it. The obvious exception recently being Gretna. Livi may not be far away because ultimately they are a new club with no deep seated fan base. Ann Budge was probably a Hearts supporter before Livi or Gretna were in the league.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hearts owed the vast majority of our debt to banks.

Fucking banks. You know, those bastions of truth, honesty and fairness.

F**k them. 8)

So you haven't paid your debts. Your business model is to screw over anyone you don't have to pay. In what way are Hearts different from bankers?

So you haven't paid your debts. Your business model is to screw over anyone you don't have to pay. In what way are Hearts different from bankers?

Not much, their survival is on the backs of Lithuanian pensioners, some of the poorest in Europe have been made a bit poorer so Hearts can lord it for a bit in the Championship until they run out of steam, probably on Saturday.

Not much, their survival is on the backs of Lithuanian pensioners, some of the poorest in Europe have been made a bit poorer so Hearts can lord it for a bit in the Championship until they run out of steam, probably on Saturday.

Think you'll find it was Bosnian pensioners.

It's all "football debt", Hearts are a football club.

I'll get the hilarious "You're seething" patter, and I realise it's old ground, but does it not feel uncomfortable knowing how much Hearts just wrote off? I understand you kept your club etc but I'd feel uneasy at the way it's happened. The painting of Hearts now as the model to follow when facing financial problems is laughable.

I'll get the hilarious "You're seething" patter, and I realise it's old ground, but does it not feel uncomfortable knowing how much Hearts just wrote off? I understand you kept your club etc but I'd feel uneasy at the way it's happened. The painting of Hearts now as the model to follow when facing financial problems is laughable.

Of course we'd rather not have went down the route we did, but we nearly died. It's not like we just went, 'we're not paying that, we'll just scrap it and take a points hit'. Also, our parent company went bust with debts into the hundreds of millions. Our debt was mostly owed to them and a drop in the ocean compared to what was really lost, it's not like Hearts debt single handedly has ruined the Lithuanian economy.

We have been extremely fortunate in the fact we still have a club and hopefully now we're in a position that we'll never have to face the prospect of going bust again.

I, like 98% of football fans, couldn't give the shiniest of fucks. There are of course 1% who will genuinely feel uncomfortable with it, and 1% p***ks who lie and say they would to gain some sort of kiddy on moral superiority on the internet.

Archived