Spanish Conquistadors for Selkirk?

HibeeJibee

Garry O'Connor first to get paid?

From all the write up's he has had in the paper's they suggest he is playing for FREE,

Led to believe its his way of regaining fitness.

Well he certainly looks to have lost a bit of weight and his confidence must be high due to the number of goals he is banging in, albeit at a lower level than he's used to playing.

Personally, I think it's a bit of a con. Kids in France who probably aren't good enough to make it ober there, pay to go on Edusport courses, What they get is training, accomodation and an education element.

I think that this is about right, although I would question whether it was a con. If everyone knows the script up front, that's fine. These kids are paying to come over here, as opposed to getting paid for being here. Although no one from Selkirk is commenting, so we don't know exactly what the situation is, does anyone think that they have cash to pay foreign kids to play for them? No chance.

Anyway, if the kids and Selkirk get something out of the arrangement, that's great.

PS - anyone walking off the park in the huff isn't cut out for fitba' and needs to think about what he wants to do instead.

This is a brand new academy they have set up in Mallorca where players from the UK pay to go across and train etc. Be interesting to see if anything comes of it from Selkirk's point of view.

From what I've heard, most of the French boys are gone now. Some of them had been staying in the club rooms the night before games too which seems a bit farcical to me (and probably illegal). A few seem to still be on the books though and the rest of the squad seems to come from Edinburgh bar one, maybe two from down this way.

For their sake, they'll be desperate to hold onto O'Connor in January. Rumours of him leaving down here but you'd like to think he'd show some loyalty seen as Selkirk have taken a chance on him. Even just for the remainder of the season.

Archived