Spanish Conquistadors for Selkirk?

HibeeJibee

First it was the French Connection, with the cohort of young pros routed via Edusport Academy. Is a Spanish-British flavour now set for Yarrow Park?

https://www.facebook.com/selkirkfootballclub?ref=stream

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mallorca-Football-Academy/922740467740203

https://twitter.com/mallorcafa

New partnership between Mallorca Football Academy and Selkirk FC coming soon

Fantastic location ! New partnership with Selkirk FC coming soon !
Mallorca Football Academy training facility in Selva

Now on twitter mallorca football@mallorcafa follow to keep up to date with academy news and details

Great to see a club with vision and ambition trying to raise the profile of Borders football , well done Selkirk !

Yes well done to Selkirk for the forward thinking, may well have a lot of applicants for next year's pre season training!

I heard selkirk never paid their french players or offered them the accommodation that was promised - hence they all left after a bust up at club !

I was at first very positive about selkirks plans but having seen and heard what has happened I think it will all fall through again.

I heard selkirk never paid their french players or offered them the accommodation that was promised - hence they all left after a bust up at club !

I'm sure Selkirk will be able to stick up for themselves but what I heard was almost the exact opposite ;-)

I was at first very positive about selkirks plans but having seen and heard what has happened I think it will all fall through again.

If they are coming via Edusport. They have paid to be part of that organisation's programme. They have accomodation somewhere in Lanarkshire and part of their course is that Edusport will help them find a club. I doubt they would expect payment.

Not sure how edu sport works but if that's the case it's a clever initiative to use.

Using this programme would suggest the money isn't there to pay these guys - which supports previous comment about not paying the young lads from France .

Be interesting to have a selkirk point of view of what's going on ?Again , I have heard, oconnors wages are the only ones they are bothered to pay sharp and the rest are left to chase up for payment .

Just hear say as you say ....

Not sure how edu sport works but if that's the case it's a clever initiative to use.

Using this programme would suggest the money isn't there to pay these guys - which supports previous comment about not paying the young lads from France .

Be interesting to have a selkirk point of view of what's going on ?Again , I have heard, oconnors wages are the only ones they are bothered to pay sharp and the rest are left to chase up for payment .

Personally, I think it's a bit of a con. Kids in France who probably aren't good enough to make it ober there, pay to go on Edusport courses, What they get is training, accomodation and an education element. Edusport then find clubs here to take them on. They haven't placed many yet and have started their own teamin The SoS League to play them in.

I did see a good versionof it down south at Eccleshill, where the agency bought the club and then put players in to supplement local players. Nhaki Wells that was at Bradford and now Huddersfield was there and they've moved another few up the non league ladder as well. They are a great side to watch.

If it helps Selkirk do better then all to the good. They've long been the Aunt Sallys in Scottish non-league football owing to that 20-0 Scottish Cup match, but have done everything possible to encourage fans and talent to them.

If the youngsters come to Selkirk and get something from it, and local kids are encouraged to join Selkirk or other Lowland sides because the "imports" are helping to make the grade look more attractive, everyone wins.

It's just stifling homegrown talent in my opinion.

IMO borders football is on its arse. "Homegrown talent" is fucking sparse at all clubs. Good on Selkirk for trying something different

Heedthebaa makes a broadly fair point in his own inimitable way... Afterall - Selkirk finished bottom half in EOS First Division two seasons ago, and bottom of LL last season with 1 win/2 draws. Borders football has been in a slump for a long time - there was another thread documenting its various ills. Precious few Borders-based players can be found in the SPFL or even Lothians-based LL/Junior clubs, either, nowadays.

Obviously the Selkirk method takes things to extremes... But short of assembling all the Border talent in a single club, many would question whether purely local squads could compete.

You seem to supposedly know a lot of hear say,so are you player or staff at the club.? I heard some of the French lads where arrogant and needed a slap. Seen one in the spartans v selkirk game earlier in season want to walk off the pitch due to being told off by his captain. Well done to Selkirk being forward thinking. If there where good border players available in sure they would be in the blue or red and black of one of the top border clubs.

Garry O'Connor first to get paid?

From all the write up's he has had in the paper's they suggest he is playing for FREE,

Led to believe its his way of regaining fitness.

They no longer train full time as that fell through . So selkirk no longer offer the full time and fitness opportunities they did at start if the season .

Have great respect for selkirks ideas / innovation but feel their application has not been to the same standards .

For the French boy walking off , if he hadn't been paid or offered accommodation like promised (again from what I've heard) would you take shit at work and carry on ?? Not right to walk off but a young lad being screwed in a foreign country - you could see why it would happen .

Personally, I think it's a bit of a con. Kids in France who probably aren't good enough to make it ober there, pay to go on Edusport courses, What they get is training, accomodation and an education element. Edusport then find clubs here to take them on. They haven't placed many yet and have started their own teamin The SoS League to play them in.

I did see a good versionof it down south at Eccleshill, where the agency bought the club and then put players in to supplement local players. Nhaki Wells that was at Bradford and now Huddersfield was there and they've moved another few up the non league ladder as well. They are a great side to watch.

Didn't Morton get their GK, Careaux, from this scheme? So must be some decent talent?

Archived