Congratulations! You are pregnant! (Sir!)

It's the Daily Heil so it's shite. However, drugs tests at work are a disgrace. You have to work 30-60 hours a week. What you do in the meantime should be entirely your own business.

They drug test everywhere in the States, even for minimum wage jobs like fast food and grocery stores. A positive test is considered a breach of morals; nothing to do with whether or not it affects your ability to do the job. See ya; don't let the door hit you on the arse on your way out.

Not a user myself, but it's a disgraceful abuse of power. Although, when it becomes more common here, it'll be entertaining to read the moaning from P&B posters who don't see the point of unions :rolleyes:

They drug test everywhere in the States, even for minimum wage jobs like fast food and grocery stores. A positive test is considered a breach of morals; nothing to do with whether or not it affects your ability to do the job. See ya; don't let the door hit you on the arse on your way out.

Not a user myself, but it's a disgraceful abuse of power. Although, when it becomes more common here, it'll be entertaining to read the moaning from P&B posters who don't see the point of unions :rolleyes:

I'm not a user and think drug tests are brilliant. I don't want to work with someone who stoned and may cause a accident because of it. Unions are still a waste of money. If they really did give a shit about workers rights over making money they would charge a flat rate for everyone.

They drug test everywhere in the States, even for minimum wage jobs like fast food and grocery stores.

Noticed this in a few places when in the states let year. They have a sign up saying "drug free employer" or words to that effect.

It would probably be a good idea to drug test anyone reading the daily mail.

I'm not a user and think drug tests are brilliant. I don't want to work with someone who stoned and may cause a accident because of it. Unions are still a waste of money. If they really did give a shit about workers rights over making money they would charge a flat rate for everyone.

My point was that they drug test when safety isn't a concern, only morality. Also, they're often not bothered by the effects of legal drugs.

If you want to take on corporate infrastructure and government on your own, that's your concern. There's a thread about unions knocking around somewhere; sorry I brought it up, it was just an observation, and a fair one IMO.

Going back about 10 years or so, maybe a little longer, I was going for a temporary job over the summer at IBM in Greenock, on the production line. Part of the interview was a drugs test, so everyone who turned up was given a wee plastic cup to pee in. Quite funny at this point watching half of those there looking at it and deciding to just forget the rest of the interview.

Going back about 10 years or so, maybe a little longer, I was going for a temporary job over the summer at IBM in Greenock, on the production line. Part of the interview was a drugs test, so everyone who turned up was given a wee plastic cup to pee in. Quite funny at this point watching half of those there looking at it and deciding to just forget the rest of the interview.

Had a (very) temporary stint there in the 90's. Toilets with syringes and tinfoil sitting on them. Salubrious.

Had a (very) temporary stint there in the 90's. Toilets with syringes and tinfoil sitting on them. Salubrious.

Is this just IBM, or Greenock in general?

I worked a summer job in a pretty big parcel delivery depot in my first year of Uni. On the first day, the manager told everyone there would be a drugs / alcohol test at some point in the first week.

Obviously, being a student at the time, I was a bit concerned about the alcohol test (drugs are bad, don't take), but I didn't drink just in case it would show up in a test the next day.

About two weeks later without a test, I asked a supervisor and he said the manager just told new-starts that to 'get rid of the scary ones' and that testing people would cost too much.

I hated that job with a passion.

Random drug test here in Thailand, by the local government. They just turn up unannounced with a police officer & check everyone there that day. Also do this at the schools testing children as young as 5.

My point was that they drug test when safety isn't a concern, only morality. Also, they're often not bothered by the effects of legal drugs.

If you want to take on corporate infrastructure and government on your own, that's your concern. There's a thread about unions knocking around somewhere; sorry I brought it up, it was just an observation, and a fair one IMO.

Ok but what job is it safe to do while under the influence of drugs?

Ok but what job is it safe to do while under the influence of drugs?

It's not testing for being under the influence of drugs that's the problem; that would be as acceptable as turning up drunk for work, although there are plenty of prescription and legal recreational drugs that are considered acceptable, despite similar side effects. The problem is that the tests show historical drug use (for up to six weeks prior, IIRC), and employers don't differentiate. Hence, it's a moral judgement; they don't want employees who use recreational drugs in their personal life.

Pretty certain that, if they could, some employers would bring in tests to weed out workers who enjoy casual sex. Apart from their secretaries ^_^

you read the Daily Mail? Congratulations! Some men in white coats will be along to see you in a minute...

attachicon.gifwhite coats.jpg

Don't recall EVER having purchased the Scottish Daily Mail - Can honestly say I have no intention of EVER doing so! (Been given it on flights from Heathrow though)

Doesn't alter the fact that it is an interesting story!

Archived