Smartwatches

Well it's not really anything like what I was saying at all in fairness. The point I was making was that even if my phone had come with the best smartwatch on the market, it would still be sitting in a drawer as they are fairly pointless for the way I use my phone, that's all.

There's no difference between the iphone 6 of toasters and the Nokia 6610 of toasters, to someone who doesn't like toast.

That did sound like what you were saying. My point was, how can you judge whether or not you would use a smartwatch if the one you had wasnt very good?

Someone who has only ever had burnt, dry toast cant really tell whether or not they like toast ;)

Ok ok, I didn't wanna say it, but you've pressed me into a corner.

If I was in a pub or wherever, and someone was checking phone alerts of any kind on their watch, i'd think "that's up there with the gimpiest things i've ever seen".

I know i'd never use a smartwatch for the same reason I know i'll never use a selfie-stick. It looks gimpy as f**k.

If it allowed you to leave your phone at home or whatever then fair enough, but buying something to check a notification that has come through on something that's a foot away from the thing you've bought to check it on??

In fact, even if it did allow you to leave your phone at home, that's almost more stupid...like inventing feet covers to put on your feet when you go out that mean you don't have to wear shoes, and calling them..."shoes that aren't quite as good as actual shoes"

Edited by Al B

If I was in a pub or wherever, and someone was checking phone alerts of any kind on their watch, i'd think "that's up there with the gimpiest things i've ever seen".

I know i'd never use a smartwatch for the same reason I know i'll never use a selfie-stick. It looks gimpy as f**k.

If it allowed you to leave your phone at home or whatever then fair enough, but buying something to check a notification that has come through on something that's a foot away from the thing you've bought to check it on??

In fact, even if it did allow you to leave your phone at home, that's almost more stupid...like inventing feet covers to put on your feet when you go out that mean you don't have to wear shoes, and calling them..."shoes that aren't quite as good as actual shoes"

Its a lot easier to just glance at a watch than it is to get your phone and check a notification - mine is usually in my coat pocket. Looks far less "gimpy" than having your phone sat on the table in the pub :P

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I found an actual, real life, practical use for my Gear last week - stop laughing at the back, I did.

Downloaded an app/clock that links with google maps navigation. We were in London for the week and rather than having to wander round with my phone in my hand, the turn by turn directions updated on my watch as we were walking around.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the band, notifications are brilliant, using Cortana via the watch is handy - shame most responses are displayed on phone. But it really does shine as. A health and fitness device. Replaced my fitbit and am very impressed

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I sold mine on ebay 2 weeks ago for $120. It's now in the much more useful form of cold, hard cash.

I've actually switched to iphone so couldn't use it anyway, but it's put me off getting an apple watch too.

Would a fitbit fall in to this category? Thinking about getting one but not sure if it is any good (it sounds like it would be decent). Anyone got one?

Not really, its just a fitness tracker, as far as I know

Ive asked for an LG Urbane for Christmas as theyre under £200 now. Some of the newer watches coming out look really smart. It wont be long until you can hardly tell the difference between smart and regular watches

• 4 weeks later...

Not really, its just a fitness tracker, as far as I know

Ive asked for an LG Urbane for Christmas as theyre under £200 now. Some of the newer watches coming out look really smart. It wont be long until you can hardly tell the difference between smart and regular watches

Asked for and got :)

The Urbane is night and day compared to my old Samsung Gear, really looks like a normal watch. Im really liking Android wear too, seems a bit slicker than Tizen

I know this is reigniting an old argument but I've never seen this thread until now. They're great for things like jogging aswell, I can see how quick I run a mile, change the song, see how far I've ran etc straight from my watch. Also, yesterday I was walking into alloa and it was raining, I had my earphones in and didn't want to take my phone out in the rain to change the song so I did it on my watch.

• 3 weeks later...

I went on a weight loss regime last year and got the original Microsoft Band primarily as a fitness tracker but it does all the usual stuff like show (partially) emails, text messages, etc, etc. It was a bit clunky and unattractive and so when the Band 2 came out, I took advantage of Microsoft's trade in offer and upgraded to that. Its altogether more attractive and a better fit on the wrist.

I see it primarily as an aid to my weight loss campaign and it has something like 11 fitness sensors and GPS. It works best with a Windows phone but is perfectly good also with Android or IOS. The main difference is that you can use voice commands to Cortana on a windows phone with is not available on other platforms.

I am happy enough with it but not something I could justify without my personal fitness tracking requirement (3 and a half stones gone so far with another 1 or 2 still targeted)

• 4 weeks later...

I've got the garmin vivoactive, which is their jack of all trades fitness tracker and smart watch. Unlike most smart watches, it actually has a GPS chip built in, so you don't have to carry your phone when on a run. Would definitely recommend it.

Edited by die hard doonhamer

• 2 months later...

Anyone seen/got this?

http://www.three.co.uk/iamplus

Is pricey at £22/month for 24 months but I could cancel Spotify and save a tenner of that. Comes with 32gb memory, free music streaming and as far as I can see means you could make calls, texts & e-mails without having to take phone.

ETA does all the fitness tracking as well obvs.

Edited by Broomhill Ultra

Anyone seen/got this?

http://www.three.co.uk/iamplus

Is pricey at £22/month for 24 months but I could cancel Spotify and save a tenner of that. Comes with 32gb memory, free music streaming and as far as I can see means you could make calls, texts & e-mails without having to take phone.

ETA does all the fitness tracking as well obvs.

William? Im out

• 6 months later...

Fitbit buying over Pebble https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/30/fitbit-pebble/ may well turn out to be decent. Still using my original Pebble, don't really like the look of big coloured screens, and it functions extremely well in conjunction with my android phone. Plenty of 3rd party apps available to synch with those on the phone and I have access to strava and endomondo for sports tracking, music player for skipping, pausing tracks, and the basic functions of call, text, email and whatsapp notifications.

Seems that Pebble, despite yet another successful kickstarter funding, were struggling financially so this may keep their technology going even if the branding disappears. So long as Fitbit don't f**k it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Samsung Gear 3 looks like a general use smart watch that is getting there in terms of being genuinely useful both as a watch and as usable tech on your wrist.  I dare say the Apple Watch is good also but you need an iPhone to get the best from it and I just will not consider Apple prices.

As for my Microsoft Band 2, it remains supremely useful as a fitness tracker but not much else.  I am also on my second as on the first the strap which contains the battery split - a known fault - and was replaced under warranty.  I see also there will be no Band 3 as Microsoft are pulling out of that market.