Smartwatches

Has anyone got one? Used one? Thinking about getting one?

I can see the value in having one to check notifications without having to pull your phone out your pocket and for telling the time, and they're not that expensive (£100 - £200) in the grand scheme of things, so I'm giving consideration to the Pebble Steel or the Moto 360.

Of course Apple have also got the 'Watch' on the way, but I wouldn't be interested in that.

Ive got an original Galaxy Gear. Before that I had the Sony one.

The Sony one was rubbish, the Gear a lot better.

I have a Note 3, so being able to check notifications on the watch is much easier than getting the phone out my pocket.

The Moto 360 does look fantastic, much more like a proper watch than most of the others. The Pebble is a bit different though. It uses a liquid ink type screen, like the Kindle, so the display isnt as good as the others. However, there are other benefits, like much longer battery life

Has anyone got one? Used one? Thinking about getting one?

I can see the value in having one to check notifications without having to pull your phone out your pocket and for telling the time, and they're not that expensive (£100 - £200) in the grand scheme of things, so I'm giving consideration to the Pebble Steel or the Moto 360.

Of course Apple have also got the 'Watch' on the way, but I wouldn't be interested in that.

How lazy are you?

All that effort of putting your hand into your pocket to look at your phone.

Can these new fangle devices do more that your current phone? Doubt it. It's just the big players telling you what you need, but really don't as your phone already does it, but it's sooo far away in your pocket.

I can't believe you're too lazy to reach into your pocket.

How lazy are you?

All that effort of putting your hand into your pocket to look at your phone.

Can these new fangle devices do more that your current phone? Doubt it. It's just the big players telling you what you need, but really don't as your phone already does it, but it's sooo far away in your pocket.

I can't believe you're too lazy to reach into your pocket.

Yes, lazy. He's being lazy

The big players like, crowd funded, Pebble, you mean?

• 3 weeks later...

I would be careful in dismissing a technology. I could see little point in tablets when the iPad came out - why would you need one if you have a reasonable laptop? That lasted until my wife bought me one and now it's attached at the hip. Tablets and PCs do different jobs and maybe smart phones will do something I am not seeing at present.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a galaxy gear, wore it a few times and it had a novelty factor to it.The biggest problem was that it was rubbish at telling the time! If you didn't flick your wrist round at a certain speed the clock face wouldn't appear. I reverted back to a good old analogue watch and relying on my actual phone for notifications.

I have a galaxy gear, wore it a few times and it had a novelty factor to it.The biggest problem was that it was rubbish at telling the time! If you didn't flick your wrist round at a certain speed the clock face wouldn't appear. I reverted back to a good old analogue watch and relying on my actual phone for notifications.

Most of the newer ones have an always on clock face, like the LG R

Unfortunately, I can't see them coming down in price much in the sales, given its a new flagship product

I have the Sony Smartwatch 2, and for me personally it seems like the most pointless thing ever. Tried a couple of times but it's just not something i'll ever use.

If anyone is looking for one, let me know as I'd quite happily sell it.

I have the Sony Smartwatch 2, and for me personally it seems like the most pointless thing ever. Tried a couple of times but it's just not something i'll ever use.

If anyone is looking for one, let me know as I'd quite happily sell it.

To be honest, though, thats a pretty poor watch. I had the first one which wasnt great either. Theres a big difference between those and even the Samsung one I have - I use it way more than I used the Sony.

The newer gen ones, like the LG R are a step up again

It's not so much the quality of the thing, just purely the idea is something that's pretty pointless for anything I would use.

The point I was making though was that it isnt as good a smart phone because it does less - and what it does do it does less well - than other models. Its not as easy to set up or as intuitive to use either.

Its a bit like saying you wouldnt use an iphone 6 because you had a nokia 6610 and it didnt do anything you would use

Well it's not really anything like what I was saying at all in fairness. The point I was making was that even if my phone had come with the best smartwatch on the market, it would still be sitting in a drawer as they are fairly pointless for the way I use my phone, that's all.

There's no difference between the iphone 6 of toasters and the Nokia 6610 of toasters, to someone who doesn't like toast.