UKIP

Im_Rodger

47 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Somewhat ironically, UKIP's easiest route to post-Brexit relevance is probably through the consequences of a hard, chaotic Brexit. If 'Leave' voters feel as if Brexit is making them worse off or has hit them in the pocket - and that they weren't expecting that to happen to them, you would imagine the Tories and Labour would both stand to lose from such an outcome: the Tories being the governing party at the time of Brexit, and Labour solemnly nodding it through. UKIP and the Liberal Democrats would likely be the primary beneficiaries south of the border; the former amongst working-class 'Leave' voters - we supported Brexit, but not this sort of Brexit, and the latter amongst more metropolitan and middle-class 'Remain' backers. You also have the additional possibility of 'Leave' voters in England and Wales not feeling as if immigration is sufficiently declining: the country becomes poorer > we need immigrants to fill skills shortages > immigrants still getting jobs > pre-Brexit resentment persists > UKIP avoid the blame because they didn't enact Brexit, whereas the Tories did and Labour went along with it > UKIP recover some electoral ground.

Until then, existing primarily as an 'anti-immigration' pressure group - pushing Farage to the forefront and more or less allowing everything else to exist around him, even if Nuttall technically remains as Leader - rather than as an electorally viable political operation is probably the most sensible approach. 

They could also let Cockburn take the lead North of the "border" to appeal to the anti metropolitan elite?(Irony)

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

Somewhat ironically, UKIP's easiest route to post-Brexit relevance is probably through the consequences of a hard, chaotic Brexit. If 'Leave' voters feel as if Brexit is making them worse off or has hit them in the pocket - and that they weren't expecting that to happen to them, you would imagine the Tories and Labour would both stand to lose from such an outcome: the Tories being the governing party at the time of Brexit, and Labour solemnly nodding it through. UKIP and the Liberal Democrats would likely be the primary beneficiaries south of the border; the former amongst working-class 'Leave' voters - we supported Brexit, but not this sort of Brexit, and the latter amongst more metropolitan and middle-class 'Remain' backers. You also have the additional possibility of 'Leave' voters in England and Wales not feeling as if immigration is sufficiently declining: the country becomes poorer > we need immigrants to fill skills shortages > immigrants still getting jobs > pre-Brexit resentment persists > UKIP avoid the blame because they didn't enact Brexit, whereas the Tories did and Labour went along with it > UKIP recover some electoral ground.

Until then, existing primarily as an 'anti-immigration' pressure group - pushing Farage to the forefront and more or less allowing everything else to exist around him, even if Nuttall technically remains as Leader - rather than as an electorally viable political operation is probably the most sensible approach. 

A possibility nagging at me is that if the Big Bad EU and Schrodinger's Immigrant can't be blamed by thick cabbies and van drivers darn sarf over time, or that just saying immigration as if that's an actual policy starts losing its impact, ad indeed among people who should be smart enough to know better, then the next scapegoat is us pesky jocks creating instability. Maybe not as extreme as an english independence party gaining mainstream traction but UKIP reinventing themselves as a jock-bashing party, depending on how Brexit and Scotref 2.0 pan out, as a vote winner is something I could well see happening.

39 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

A possibility nagging at me is that if the Big Bad EU and Schrodinger's Immigrant can't be blamed by thick cabbies and van drivers darn sarf over time, or that just saying immigration as if that's an actual policy starts losing its impact, ad indeed among people who should be smart enough to know better, then the next scapegoat is us pesky jocks creating instability. Maybe not as extreme as an english independence party gaining mainstream traction but UKIP reinventing themselves as a jock-bashing party, depending on how Brexit and Scotref 2.0 pan out, as a vote winner is something I could well see happening.

I definitely wouldn't rule that out. Lord Ashcroft noted that English 'Leave' voters were significantly more likely than English 'Remain' voters to strongly emphasise their distinctly English identity, as opposed to their British one; four-in-five of 'English not British' identifiers voted Leave, and UKIP voters were twice as likely as the average member of the English electorate to identify as such. 

Some 'Remain' voters have been guilty post-referendum of believing that, once the harsh economic and financial consequences of Brexit become a reality, and people understand that it is just not as simple as immigration tumbling down and England being England once more, 'Leave' voters will have a sudden epiphany and realise the magnitude of the mistake that they have made; I wouldn't be so sure, though. It is more likely, in my opinion, that they will blame the European Union (for 'punishing' Britain), the UK Government (for not getting the 'right' Brexit), and anybody opposed to leaving the EU (for not doing their patriotic duty and 'uniting behind the country' - and it could very well become electorally fruitful to bash the pesky Jocks on these grounds, too). If that is the case, UKIP, as long as they get their act together sufficiently and in time, are likely best placed to capitalise down south, pretty much fighting May's Tories for the working-class, blue collar, immigration-sceptic, 'proud to be English' voters. As aforementioned, the Tories and Labour would have to share the blame: the former for enacting it and not getting a good enough deal; the latter for meekly accepting it and being led by an incompetent clownshoe. The Liberal Democrats will benefit from disgruntled 'Remain' voters disillusioned with Labour. Interesting times, but I think some are taking a bit too much premature joy in UKIP's apparent demise, as much as I would like to join in with it. 

Edited by DrewDon

"UKIP reinventing themselves as a jock-bashing party"  Before the 2015 election, their policy was to abolish Holyrood/end the Barnett consequentials ,amongst other jolly japes .Any time Farage/Nutall et alia were on TV they merrily quoted the subsidy junkies line. One of the best was about ending the subsidies pouring north over Hadrians wall; now a mainstream geography view of the Welsh Conservative leader of course. But yes they could develop it even more and get the Daily mail to back them in this Union of equals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been a while but Ukip are back to their sheer barking lunacy though the Scottish Tories have been outdoing them recently.

http://www.clydebankpost.co.uk/news/15230915.Election_candidate_says_women_should_stay_at_home_and_look_after_their_children__not_nurseries/?ref=twtrec

A CANDIDATE for the council elections said the death penalty should be brought back - and floated using the guillotine instead of hanging.

The strange with is, with Labours collapse and some incumbent MPs resigning, UKIP have potential to gain a couple of seats in the North (like Hartlepool) even though nationally their numbers will probably drop significantly.

On 19 April 2017 at 22:12, Crùbag said:

It's been a while but Ukip are back to their sheer barking lunacy though the Scottish Tories have been outdoing them recently.

http://www.clydebankpost.co.uk/news/15230915.Election_candidate_says_women_should_stay_at_home_and_look_after_their_children__not_nurseries/?ref=twtrec

Worked at Glasgow Zoo?

Never quite sure if a lot of Ukip candidates are unstable or reading from some bizarre offensive script.

Got a point with golf courses right enough.

This morning UKIP held a press conference about their 'integration' agenda.  Main points are

- A ban on "face covering" in public places.

- Ban sharia law and disband sharia courts.

- Annual medical checks on girls from "groups of high risk of female genital mutilation".

- CPS to "operate under the presumption of prosecution of any parent whose daughter has undergone FGM"

- I'll quote this one in full "In cases where the victims of grooming gangs are of a different racial or religious group than the offenders the CPS should cite this as an aggravating feature of the offence when prosecuting, opening the way for a longer sentence"

- Moratorium on new Islamic faith schools until "substantial progress has been demonstrated in integrating Muslims into mainstream British society".

- CPS to consider "honour dimension" in any violent crime as an aggravating feature.

Don't really know what's most horrifying there - annual checks on childrens genitals based on their race, the idea that being molested by people of a different race is somehow worse than being nonced up by someone of your own, the massive grabs of executive power.  A few years back I remember quite a few people who classed themselves as libertarian or liberal joining or supporting UKIP, I assume all those people have either done a Carswell or admitted that they don't apply their own liberalism/libertarianism to others as UKIP are essentially now a Front Nationale for Britain.

I like that their reasoning for a 'ban on sharia law' is to protect women's rights, but they seem OK with telling women they can't wear hijabs and that African girls need to have their vaginas inspected annually.

I'm also struggling to see why a white rape gang should be treated differently from a middle eastern one. Are they suggesting rape from a Muslim is just that bit worse for the victim for some unknown reason?

Wait a second here.  Are there folk trying to downplay the importance of FGM on here?  Are there also folk arguing that it's somehow racist to identify an ethnic group where such practices go on?

Show me evidence that Scottish girls are a group vulnerable to this vile practice and I will happily support legislation trying to defend that group.

My all means attack UKIP policies, and by all means highlight the rationale behind their policies,  but cut out the pish espoused in the name of misdirected political correctness.