UKIP

Im_Rodger

Finns party got 20% in the Finnish election, which translated as 40 seats in their assembly. A bit more democratic than the SNP's 4.7% getting them 55 plus Mhairi Black at Westminster. SNP, happy to exploit and ride on undemocratic practices when it suits them.

Every party is bound by the same system. The SNP hardly got special treatment.

I noted a eurosceptic party in Finland (Finns Party) has just become the second party of Finland. Finland, quite a similar country to Scotland, or what Nippy and co want Scotland to be: an irrelevant backwater of the eu flooded by needy migrants. If Finland is not happy with this arrangement why would Scotland? The Fins are famous for being fiercely proud of their identity and independence, obviously a bit more right of centre than your typical SNP cultural Marxist, but a very similar nation in population and GDP - not happy with eu though.

A closer examination shows that Finland had a genuinely multi party system and that despite finishing second they actually only got 17.7% of the vote. A bit less than UKIP in England but a bit more than the Tories in Scotland.

and less than the 19.1% they got in 2011 (when they were the 3rd biggest party)

So they're still not very popular and they're actually moving backwards as opposed to forward.

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

UKIP announce their new shadow cabinet

Shadow Chancellor: Douglas Carswell

Shadow Home Secretary: Douglas Carswell

Shadow Foreign Secretary: Douglas Carswell

Shadow Justice Secretary: Douglas Carswell

Shadow Education Secretary: Douglas Carswell

Shadow Health Secretary: Douglas Carswell

Shadow Transport Secretary: Douglas Carswell

Shadow Scotland Secretary: Douglas Carswell

Shadow Energy Secretary: Douglas Carswell

Said it earlier, I can see a lot of UKIP voters, Councillors etc... defect to the Tories.

Do people really expect them to wait another 5 years to see if Nigel can finally win a seat?

Finns party got 20% in the Finnish election, which translated as 40 seats in their assembly. A bit more democratic than the SNP's 4.7% getting them 55 plus Mhairi Black at Westminster. SNP, happy to exploit and ride on undemocratic practices when it suits them.

You've got more than 600 posts here. I wonder how many of them complained about FPTP before Friday past?

For the record, I agree that the political system of the UK is fckd. That's why I want help build a better one in Scotland.

I've heard chasing too much smack can result in memory loss, maybe give your veins a rest.

I'd just lost count mate

And I'm getting totally mixed up re UKIP, sure they were supposed to be a main party but dunno if they even won a seat?

Dunno, you maybe need to put that needle down bro, concerned. Your case officer maybe needs a call.

A joint in Amsterdam is as far as my drug taking has gone Pete, don't you worry your pea brain about me mate.

How many seats did UKIP win?

£20,500 in lost deposits and only 2% of the vote to show for it.

That's actually not too bad for a party outside of the "big three". It's also a far cry from their 1997 performance of standing in 193 seats and losing every deposit (£96 000) or their 2010 performance of losing 459 deposits (£229 500). To lose less than 10% of the losses from last time around is actually something to be pretty pleased about.

This time around the biggest losers were the Greens - losing 444 deposits (£220 000) - and next the Liberal Democrats with 340 deposits trousered by the treasury (£170 000). However, the Lib Dems are reliant on a 10% tithe of MP or MEP's wages to fund their activities: losing 10 European seats in 2014 and 48 Westminster seats on Thursday on top of all their lost deposits and printing bills yet to be paid could prove to be, if not fatal, certainly enough to cripple the party's ability to win members & fight elections considerably, especially at a time when the Greens & UKIP have far more active members (as opposed to "paper" members).

Sir Jammy Fishpaste's Referendum Party of 1997 still holds the record for failure in a general election. In 1997 they stood in 547 constituencies, losing 505 deposits at a cost of £252,500, or £423,489 in today's money - those saved were probably as a result of the seven million video cassettes they posted to households across the country at hideous expense before the election was formally declared so they could not be counted as election expenses.

The previously most expensive was the Natural Law Party at 310 seats at £500 a pop in the 1992 general election (£155 000) and 87 seats in the old style European Parliamentary constituencies at £1000 a pop (£87 000 down the pan). But as they were simply abusing electoral law for advertising purposes, it was still far more profitable to use this for the free leaflet drop from the Post Office & free party political broadcasts they were entitled to across all networks.

The flip side of the NLP coin is 1979 when the National Front stood in 303 seats and lost every deposit, at a cost then of £150 a time (£45450 - or £233,352 in today's money), a mile ahead of the Greens and Lib Dems current losses by comparison & enough to effectively bankrupt them overnight.

By the way, the SNP saved every single deposit for the first time in their history fighting all the Scottish seats up for grabs.