Shire v Berwick Rangers, Saturday 8/11/14

If I'd started this one off a couple of weeks ago, "You can't polish a turd" would have done the job for the pre-match intro, but, buoyed by a much-improved performance against the East Fife rage brigade, hope springs eternal once again and I fancy our chances on Saturday.

Going back to 4-4-2 at Bayview worked out pretty well. We looked a lot more dangerous up top, and Dargo was outstanding. Notman and Drummond at full back gave us extra attacking options, and Lee Currie finally looked as if he was starting to emerge from his extended hibernation with a more influential performance.

On the downside, Tulloch and Young were bullied by Kevin Smith in Saturday's cup tie, which could have cost us more dearly than it did. Time for Johnny Fairbairn to return to central defence.The other dilemma is who partners Lee Currie in central midfield. We need to see more from Paul Currie if he's going to nail down a place. Ben Miller or the manager are the other options. And out wide on the left, Paul Willis was better than he was at Coatbridge but a fit Scott Maxwell would give us more balance and bite.

Our 5-0 win over Shire earlier in the season disguised their late collapse after Bolo was sent off, and at 1-0 they were all over us like a cheap suit, so it ain't going to be a cakewalk.

2-1 to the Gers.

How come Carse is back? I'd hope it was to do with him being a potential wide option, but he was playing up top by the looks of it at the Rose & seemed to struggle to get regular game time.

A rare occasion where I fancy us enough to back us today, although Andy Russell's miss last time will forever haunt me.

In a bizarre postscript to last weeks battle of Methil, Bonnyrigg took Jamie Beaton (the deserved red carder) on loan and sent Carse back to us.

Suggests Rose, Carse or both weren't desperately impressed.

We were dreadful and Berwick weren't much better. Our midfield today was missing, no attacking threat and a keeper who kept the score down. Referee wasn't great today, in fact he was hopeless, some very odd decisions. Agree with TSVOR the only time we looked like we might possibly score a goal was when we went down to 10.

Fair score today was ...... 0-2.

Shire worked hard and it was always a case of who would grab the 2nd ball when someone made a mistake. Not pretty but Berwick did it better.

Particular mention for Andy Russell today. Subs are meant to change things and he did. Best sub performance I've seen for years for Berwick.

Was quite impressed with our performance today. Quite a few good performances and we kept plugging away when things weren't falling for us. Dargo stood out for me, along with Russell when he came on. It was a great run and cross to set up Lavery at the end.

Pleasing performance and could have been more. Good to see Lavery on the score sheet twice, hopefully this sparks a good run of scoring form which we saw last season. Good impact from Russell coming on at the end for Dargo who I thought had a great game today too. Defence was rarely troubled and Bald had a couple of good saves. Tried to play football as best as we could given the not so warm and dry weather.

Happy days we're gonna win the league

I thought it was a decent team performance and young and Hoskins in the centre of defence were solid against a weak shire attack.

Bald had very little to do. Think the difference in playing lavery through the middle was evident in the two goals. Russell also made a difference when he came on with a great run for laverys second.

Lee currie I felt also seemed slot improved from what I've seen recently.

Feel sorry for Shire fans watching that every week. Long punt, hope to get a lucky break on the second ball. Thought Greenhill tried to play football and worked hard. At least we tried to get the ball down and pass; mostly. Great work rate from all closing down too; dressing room in a better place? Need a run now.

Good to see the goals in the GoPro YellowFeet. Ashame about the sub for the first! Haha.

It's good to see younger fans dragging the club into the 21st century. :)

Couldn't decide whether to laugh or cry!

Happy it works ok though, will be better when i work out how to get higher quality.

Archived