We didn't disgrace ourselves against Rangers tonight. Can we beat Hibs on Saturday? How should we line up against Hibs?

I'll be signing copies of the new edition of Black Diamonds and the Blue Brazil before the game (1.45-2.45pm) and at half time. Proceeds to the club. Solve a few Christmas present problems and help the club at the same time.

post-882-0-06386000-1415140549_thumb.jpg

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished your book last night. Hugely recommend it to any football fan/local dweller. The last few pages especially were outstanding - had my mind taking me back to the exact moments of all the things that happened in recent years. The parts about Big Bob were touching too - I remember his speech in the Junction Bar after the abondoned Stirling Albion game upon all the Spartans rumours. What guy!

We didn't disgrace ourselves against Rangers tonight. Can we beat Hibs on Saturday? How should we line up against Hibs?

I'll be signing copies of the new edition of Black Diamonds and the Blue Brazil before the game (1.45-2.45pm) and at half time. Proceeds to the club. Solve a few Christmas present problems and help the club at the same time.

I hope the cowden have as good a game as they had tonight and get the win.

Hope the book gets well documented and it sells well. ;)

Just finished your book last night. Hugely recommend it to any football fan/local dweller. The last few pages especially were outstanding - had my mind taking me back to the exact moments of all the things that happened in recent years. The parts about Big Bob were touching too - I remember his speech in the Junction Bar after the abondoned Stirling Albion game upon all the Spartans rumours. What guy!

Thanks, CowdenLoyal, glad you enjoyed the book. It was good to immortalise Stuart Juner, great guy. I also wanted to celebrate all lower league fans who follow their team in good times and bad. Most football books glorify the big clubs and the high-profile stars (whose "memoirs" are usually ghost-written by journalists). I've been following Cowden since I was a boy, and I've met some great people. I wanted to give them their place.

Sir Alex Ferguson phoned me to say how much he had enjoyed the new edition. He described the Blue Brazil as " a great wee club" and suggested all managers should start their careers at clubs like Cowden.

Thanks, CowdenLoyal, glad you enjoyed the book. It was good to immortalise Stuart Juner, great guy. I also wanted to celebrate all lower league fans who follow their team in good times and bad. Most football books glorify the big clubs and the high-profile stars (whose "memoirs" are usually ghost-written by journalists). I've been following Cowden since I was a boy, and I've met some great people. I wanted to give them their place.

Sir Alex Ferguson phoned me to say how much he had enjoyed the new edition. He described the Blue Brazil as " a great wee club" and suggested all managers should start their careers at clubs like Cowden.

Just reminded me that I still have Fergies autobiography lying in a drawer and waiting to be read. I will of course be reading the new edition of Black Diamonds first ;)

Have only read the last chapter of the updated edition so far (couldn't resist reading about that day). Have there been significant changes to the rest?

How did Ferguson end up reading your book out of interest?

Good question, Mr Romanov. Alex Ferguson was a fan of the original edition of Black Diamonds and the Blue Brazil right from the start. I had got to know him (he's no relation) when I was researching the life story of George MacLeod, founder of the Iona Community. MacLeod had been minister of Govan Old Parish church in the 1930s. He used to preach at street corners in Govan. One of the many he influenced was Alexander Ferguson, father of Alex. Alex told me all about it. Fergie also helped a young lad in my parish when I was minister of St Magnus Cathedral in Orkney. The boy was going through a hard time, and Fergie sent him a letter and a Man U strip with Ryan Giggs's name o the back (the lad's fav player). What I love about Sir Alex is that, despite all his deserved success, he has never forgotten his roots. When I asked him to write a foreword for the new edition of the book, he immediately agreed. It's a very funny foreword! - including some great stories about playing at Central Park.

Have only read the last chapter of the updated edition so far (couldn't resist reading about that day). Have t(ere been significant changes to the rest?.Yes, CC. A lot of changes. We have prefaces from Sir Alex Ferguson, Craig Bown, Jim Leishman and Rev Kathy Galloway (a poet and theologian who doesn't like fitba). They are all very good. The text has been completely revised and updated, and there's a whole new section at the end, bring the story bang up to date. I discuss Donald Findlay, Cowden in the Scottish Championship, and Cowden's momentous victory over our old enemy, The Pars, on the final day of the season. The end of the season could hardly have been scripted better. :thumsup2

Hopefully we keep Miller away from free kicks on Saturday. Any free kick in the opposition half and he's shooting, regardless of the distance or the angle.

Lewis has got a strike in him, as does Robbo. Time to step aside, Kyle.

Have to agree with you here. Kudus took one last night as well. I think it broke a window in Burntisland.

Sorry to intrude on your thread guys - was just stalking the Championship forum generally as there seems to be some interesting games on this weekend.

I saw your book taking pride of place in the sports section of Falkirk's Waterstones a couple of months ago Kierkegaard and from the few pages I managed to get a squint at, it seemed like it'd be something I'd enjoy. My uncle (he and my dad were brought up in Hill of Beath) has the original but I've never gotten round to getting a loan of it. He said it was an excellent read so I'll need to get it at some point. Hope the updated version is a success and raises a few quid for the club.

Where will you be signing the books on Saturday Ron? Might not make it for 2:45pm. Will pay you a visit at half time if I don't.

Looking forward to my first visit to Central Park. Old school terraces and even the forecast seems decent for Saturday.

I'd expect a tight game, Cowdenbeath looked useful in the second against Hibs in the last game.

That game kick-started our season. Aside from the away game at Falkirk we've played some good stuff since then. We couldn't break down a solid Rangers defence on Tuesday but with Gallacher back we'll have a bit more up front as well.

Going to go for Cowdenbeath 0 - 2 Hibs, Malonga & Allan (Scott) on the scoresheet.

Hopefully we can continue the form we showed against United (obviously without conceding). The extended break will have hopefully helped us be extra prepared.

Archived