Scottish Non-League Programme of the Year awards 2014-15

Burnie_man

I have at least 3 or 4 errors per edition. Just don't have the time to compile it, what with my budding radio career and all :P

Burnie did a great job and while I'll always deliver what my customers ask for first, it's good to get a benchmark to where we are.

It's a cracking wee thing this!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers Burnie.

I think my main gripe last year was the lack of feedback. All I knew was that there 20 - 30 better programmes than Gretna's. I would have liked to have known in what areas that I could do to improve it. If it is in my power to do so.

As Simplistic said us compilers spend hours putting the programme together and generally the only the only feedback we get is someone pointing out all the errors (admittedly too frequent on my part).

It wouldn't take much to produce a spreadsheet with your categories in one column and the scores for each team's programme in the other columns. If I saw that we were low in overall design compared to everyone else, I could steps to improve it. You could update the spreadsheet when the programmes come in and publish it after the closing date for entries.

There was spreadsheet and there's a link to it in the first post of the thread. OK it doesn't give a full breakdown but I was trying to keep it simple as I could as it's a big spreasheet. However, this was the scoring for Gretna;

Design 6 Quality 7 Ads 6 VFM 5 News 3 Stats 6 Reports 6 Features 6 Pics 6 History 1

So I think it's fair to say that a little more historical content, and club news features would help move the programme up the list.

I have at least 3 or 4 errors per edition. Just don't have the time to compile it, what with my budding radio career and all :P

Burnie did a great job and while I'll always deliver what my customers ask for first, it's good to get a benchmark to where we are.

It's a cracking wee thing this!

Cheers Simplistic.

As a background, I have edited or helped edit the Blackburn programme for over 20 years so I fully appreciate what's involved. I have also collected programmes for over 30 years, so again I have a fair idea what - in my opinion only - constitutes a good programme.

As I said, it's a bit of fun. Sure, you could try and get a panel of judges together and get all serious about it, but that's more hassle than it's worth, which is nothing because I dont think there was a prize last season lol! (Although Buckie got to proclaim Best Non League Programme in Scotland on their front cover!)

Hi Cicero, these are the categories I use to try and be consistent across all entries;

Design:

Value for money (10)

Overall design (10)

Quality of print/Colour (10)

Adverts/Space Filling (10)

Content:

Club News (10)

Stats (10)

(tables/results/line-ups/appearances/goalscorers/fixtures)

Match reports (10)

Features/Visitors (10)

Pictures (10)

History (10)

It perhaps isn't a perfect system, but I hope it drives consistency when trying to judge 50+ programmes.

I hope you enter this year, the more the merrier! and at the end of the day, it's a bit of fun.

Is that the same criteria that you use for SPFL clubs or is that different? Wouldn't mind knowing the breakdown of our programme last season. Sorry for invading the Lowland League thread for this guys!

There was spreadsheet and there's a link to it in the first post of the thread. OK it doesn't give a full breakdown but I was trying to keep it simple as I could as it's a big spreasheet. However, this was the scoring for Gretna;

Design 6 Quality 7 Ads 6 VFM 5 News 3 Stats 6 Reports 6 Features 6 Pics 6 History 1

Cheers once again Burnie. This is exactly what I was talking about.

I have only two and a half years experience of putting a programme together so I had no idea what was missing.

I can certainly do something about the news part but as we are only six years old, the history part might be difficult :P.

I appreciate that it is only for fun but I was just wanting to know where to improve so that we can do better.

Is that the same criteria that you use for SPFL clubs or is that different? Wouldn't mind knowing the breakdown of our programme last season. Sorry for invading the Lowland League thread for this guys!

Nope, believe it or not this is much more scientific! Programme Monthly do not use a scoring grid for the league awards, it's almost down to gut instinct of the judge!

Given that the Scottish non league was my idea, and the wide range of programme styles, I decided that some criteria was perhaps wise.

Cheers once again Burnie. This is exactly what I was talking about.

I have only two and a half years experience of putting a programme together so I had no idea what was missing.

I can certainly do something about the news part but as we are only six years old, the history part might be difficult :P.

I appreciate that it is only for fun but I was just wanting to know where to improve so that we can do better.

No probs. As a bit of advice, Gretna has a long history of football, would you not consider articles regarding the previous club(s)? I occasionally feature articles in the Blackburn programme relating to previous Junior sides from the village, and I've seen that in other programmes as well from clubs who are maybe not as old as some. It's always interesting to read.

As for club news, I put in as much as I possibly can, about anything really! I've seen a "diary" feature in some programmes, ie just brief notes on what has happened (if anything) at the club each day since the last programme. Not done it myself but it looks a good idea.

No probs. As a bit of advice, Gretna has a long history of football, would you not consider articles regarding the previous club(s)? I occasionally feature articles in the Blackburn programme relating to previous Junior sides from the village, and I've seen that in other programmes as well from clubs who are maybe not as old as some. It's always interesting to read.

As for club news, I put in as much as I possibly can, about anything really! I've seen a "diary" feature in some programmes, ie just brief notes on what has happened (if anything) at the club each day since the last programme. Not done it myself but it looks a good idea.

There's the problem right there. Gretna 2008 has history from 2008 onwards, the old Gretna has nothing to do with the current so i'm almost certain we'd provide no history/articles from the previous club's history.

As someone that contributes to our programme ive thought about maybe contributing more in the way of blogs possible views on general footballing topics just to bring something different but its something that i'll look at in the coming months

I've got a solution for the 2 copies you send in for the comp, just put on one of the pages Gretna 08 archives. Then in block capital letters say "Come. Back In 30 Years" I'm sure the award giver aka Burnie will see the funny side & award you too marks for (my) originality. Oh & don't forget the broon bookmark. Sorted.

Grimbo

There's the problem right there. Gretna 2008 has history from 2008 onwards, the old Gretna has nothing to do with the current so i'm almost certain we'd provide no history/articles from the previous club's history.As someone that contributes to our programme ive thought about maybe contributing more in the way of blogs possible views on general footballing topics just to bring something different but its something that i'll look at in the coming months

Yer documentary on Sunday night seems to go into the old Gretna according to Cicero ?

If its good enough for a documentatary it surely good enough for yer prog.

ww added an interesting a to z on the players this season I found amusing.

A couple wee snippets from the players.

Have ye considered something like that.

There's the problem right there. Gretna 2008 has history from 2008 onwards, the old Gretna has nothing to do with the current so i'm almost certain we'd provide no history/articles from the previous club's history.

Why is covering the history of other clubs to have come from Gretna such a no-no? I'm sure your fans from Gretna would like to read about that. Football wasn't invented in Gretna in 2008, and neither were your fans.

Yer documentary on Sunday night seems to go into the old Gretna according to Cicero ? If its good enough for a documentatary it surely good enough for yer prog.

That's my point. However at the end of the day it's just some helpful pointers (from my point of view) to help improve the programme, as I was asked to provide.

Why is covering the history of other clubs to have come from Gretna such a no-no? I'm sure your fans from Gretna would like to read about that. Football wasn't invented in Gretna in 2008, and neither were your fans.

As ive pointed out, The old Gretna FC has nothing to do with Gretna 2008, why we should be looking to put articles about the old club in our programme? Getting Gretna 2008's programme higher up rankings by putting content from a defunct club makes no sense to me imo

Obviously I wasn't privy to the negotiations back in 08 or possibly 07 or whenever that fateful day was when you turned into G08 but did you not consider calling yourselves Gretna Green FC & making your kit Green, or was that to costly an option?

Grimbo

As ive pointed out, The old Gretna FC has nothing to do with Gretna 2008, why we should be looking to put articles about the old club in our programme? Getting Gretna 2008's programme higher up rankings by putting content from a defunct club makes no sense to me imo

OK, just trying to help.

Thanks for your help Burnie and I appreciate it. I have taken your suggestion on board and did a little research. I have came across numerous references about football in Gretna pre 1946 and even a match played in 1905, before the village of Gretna existed!!!

It will be very interesting to look into it when I get some more time on my hands. At the moment I need about 30 hours in the day just to get everything done that I need to do.

Links between the 1946 club and the 2008 one are still a very sensitive issue. Most of us were fans of the old club but there are others who only started to support the club when the 2008 version came into existence. I can see both sides of the argument about having articles about the 1946 club in the programme.

The current club have got to where they are by their own efforts without relying on the reputation of the old one. For the benefit of Newky, we just did a bit of recycling and picking up some second hand goods.

Thanks for your help Burnie and I appreciate it. I have taken your suggestion on board and did a little research. I have came across numerous references about football in Gretna pre 1946 and even a match played in 1905, before the village of Gretna existed!!!

It will be very interesting to look into it when I get some more time on my hands. At the moment I need about 30 hours in the day just to get everything done that I need to do.

Links between the 1946 club and the 2008 one are still a very sensitive issue. Most of us were fans of the old club but there are others who only started to support the club when the 2008 version came into existence. I can see both sides of the argument about having articles about the 1946 club in the programme.

The current club have got to where they are by their own efforts without relying on the reputation of the old one. For the benefit of Newky, we just did a bit of recycling and picking up some second hand goods.

Good to hear Cicero. My opinion is that history cannot be undone, and it therefore should be told where appropriate, good or bad.

However at the end of the day the decision is solely with you guys. Good luck, look forward to seeing your entry.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived