Sunday Amateurs - Referees

Here.We.Go

Are there any referees taking Sunday Amateur games who aren't old... or past their best?

Was watching a game at the gyle yesterday and the referees don't help themselves. Everytime a player tried to speak to him, he was told to 'shut up' literally.

Surely there are referees coming up through the ranks doing amateur games no? What's the situation here? Do amateur teams feel the pinch when it comes to the standard of referees?

It's down to individual referees at amateur level to decide what league's they officiate in, they apply to the league and the league's give them games. As a ref myself I kno this. I don't do amateur games as I am still playing and wouldn't. want to be accused of a conflict of interest. With all due respect refs will choose a Saturday before a Sunday due to the standard of football and level of abuse (less on a staurday) they get. That is not me saying all Saturday teams are better than Sunday ones or that Sunday teams are full of maniacs before anyone jumps on the bandwagon.

You also have to factor in the behaviour of the teams an sidelnes in Sunday amateur games. Younger refs who are devloping will be told to stay well away from Sunday amateur as the standard and conduct of the teams will not help them in their referee development.

Unfortunately sunay amateur teams bring this on themselves and the "older" refs (who may not be involved at any other level) are the only ones who would consider getting involved on a regular basis.

This is not a criticism as there is a level of football for everyone, Just as sunday amateur level is a drop below saturday amateur then the referee capability will also be a drop below.

Think it's a bit harsh naming referees personally, I'm sure the guy in question doesn't deliberately give decisions against certain teams and players, however if that is the feeling then it's the teams that need to have a look at themselves and stop taking every decision out on the ref, refs do a thankless task and get very little respect, they give up their own time to allow others to play football. I find it extremely hard to accept that a ref has it in for certain teams, most refs will try make their own lives as easy as possible by limiting the amount of controversial decisions however when teams are shouting and swearing in their face every week what do you expect? 1 bad experience with a ref doesn't mean he has it in for you. Obviously it's never the teams fault they got beat or lost the league..........

Well I can't comment on a referee I have never encountered. I agree there is some refs that irritate us with decisions on a Saturday/Sunday but I always make a point of shaking his hand at the end no matter how bad I think he has done. I find the fact I play football helps me as a ref unfortunately this is not a luxury some refs have. I would say that 99.9% of refs are good honest guys who do the job for the love of the game and to put something back into it. It annoys me and dissapoints me when ppl come on and slate referees when the hassle comes from the players/teams/supporters generally, all refs make mistakes now and again and some people need to accept it without making the ref the scapegoat for their shortcomings.

The guy defo deliberately give decisions against players/teams / he's notorious for it and he's also twice in games chopped off goals I have scored after players have complained about bad fouls in the build up to give the free kick 30 yards back / one instance plYer got carried off and missed 3/4 weeks - he also send me off as I was geting subbed one game because it was thought it better into off after I got fouled in the box and defender got up and said "it was outside the box ref" he then proceeds to give a foul against me / I walked off and never said anything and he came over red carded me and put On his report A swore at him calling him a cheating b*****d / which I swear on my kids life never happened / I was chairman off wasafa league and resigned due to them keeping him on after that.

2 games our Sunday team Bothan had him last season and we received a total off 13 red cards / rest off season we had one player sent off.

Guys notorious for it and every season he gets worse as he's allowed away with it and thinks he's a law onto himself / personally I will now sit out games he refs and a few other players I know are the same

Sounds exactly like Colin / having known the guy for nigh on 10 years ave found that recently last 2/3 years he's became more bold in deliberately ruining games as he's been basically allowed to do as he pleases / ksc played coyolton last season and with KSC have if a large contingent off Bothan players playing / it ended up coyolton players laughing at some off the decisions he was giving in there favour / in the wasafa Sunday league I know off 5 teams who have out complaints in about him yet they seem reluctant to get rid / guy Is a liar and a cheat simple as

This is the same ref that accused a Drongan player of assault last season,when he showed him a red card the player pushed the refs hand away & called him a dafty, the same ref who sent the Drongan player manager off at kg5 a few seasons ago when the player manager was having a bad game & went 2 sub him self when the ref sent him off coz he kicked a water bottle on the way off & said f##kin sh#te & never let the sub come on saying that the sub never got made which he was on the field & got told to go back off & wait & sub another player. Think the player that was coming on was a one player 10 if im not mistaken, he also this season at Drongan threatened to stop the game & call the polis coz the Drungin fans were shouting at the ref coz he was making his usual dodgy decisions, he has it in for our team 2.

If u lay hands on someone whether it's pushing a hand away or punching them it's still classed as assault, that's another example of players being petulant towards the ref regardless of who it is, if that's the way he gets treated then no wonder. Sorry but that type of behaviour is out of order in anyone's book! If the fans are shouting at the ref then it's the home teams responsibility to deal with those fans, if the ref feels threatened then he's quite within his right to call the police if the home team are failing to act. The ref may in your opinion be crap but your post does nothing to help the team you are saying he has got it in for, surprised if that's the way they and their fans act that they get any refs to ref their games

All player, teams & fans ask for is consistency, thats what gets people shouting, bad tackles going unpunished for one team then the other team gets a equally bad tackle & u find a free kick yellow card or red but seconds ago u see a keg breaker & he waves play on, thats what angers people, thats why the fans shout all thats ashes for is 50/50 the same for both teams.

Pleslie99 ave also seen said ref push a KSC player with both hands tell him get out his face even tho he was just waiting to take a free kick and then book said player / he's abandoned at least 3 games ave been involved in over years and many more because his attitude he likes making it about him / you have to see him to believe him / guys probably the biggest scumbag ave ever encountered in amatuer football he likes ruining people's weekends

I'm not defending said ref but refs in general as it's all too easy to jump on the bandwagon and give them a hard time for the teams and players shortcomings! The guy saying about the ref having it in for drongen or whatever well there is another thread on here regarding their conduct in a match so maybe the team should have a long hard look at themselves before blaming the ref. And I'm not absolving the said ref of any blame but that's for the authorities to deal with. When I ref I am as honest as I can be and call the game as I see it, no doubt it upsets 50% of the players but that's part and parcel. I believe me and 99% of refs are as consistent as they can be

• 2 weeks later...

The guy defo deliberately give decisions against players/teams / he's notorious for it and he's also twice in games chopped off goals I have scored after players have complained about bad fouls in the build up to give the free kick 30 yards back / one instance plYer got carried off and missed 3/4 weeks - he also send me off as I was geting subbed one game because it was thought it better into off after I got fouled in the box and defender got up and said "it was outside the box ref" he then proceeds to give a foul against me / I walked off and never said anything and he came over red carded me and put On his report A swore at him calling him a cheating b*****d / which I swear on my kids life never happened / I was chairman off wasafa league and resigned due to them keeping him on after that.

2 games our Sunday team Bothan had him last season and we received a total off 13 red cards / rest off season we had one player sent off.

Guys notorious for it and every season he gets worse as he's allowed away with it and thinks he's a law onto himself / personally I will now sit out games he refs and a few other players I know are the same

dry your eyes

• 2 months later...

Archived