McCall gone

The next "month or two"..... After the guy worked fucking miracles for years? I can't believe how ungrateful the Motherwell fans are, I thought the same about St Mirren with Lennon. You'll see just how much you'll miss them when you're playing at Cowdenbeath in the league next season.

YAWN

Cos I am sure all Dundee fans would be patient with their Manager under the same circumstances. Get real.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The next "month or two"..... After the guy worked fucking miracles for years? I can't believe how ungrateful the Motherwell fans are, I thought the same about St Mirren with Lennon. You'll see just how much you'll miss them when you're playing at Cowdenbeath in the league next season.

This from the fan of a club that seems to revel in sacking managers when they have the team top or near the top of the league.

Jim Spence touting Gary Locke for the job on Sportsound. Unlucky Motherwell fans!

The Wee Man would be welcomed back at Ibrox with open arms for me. in any capacity other the Manager, whilst McCoist is still in post!

Great player, Great bloke, Gers Legend!!

No need to shout m8.

• 3 months later...

Bump.

I see McCall was being interviewed at the preview of the forthcoming March internationals yesterday. Of course, he got asked about the Rangers job, and did the usual coy 'not on my radar but would be hard to refuse' sort of thing.

However what interested me more is that he said he'd have to quit his Scotland post, "because you couldn't manage Rangers and work part-time with Scotland. That arrangement suited him at Motherwell, but Rangers he proposed are a different proposition". I actually found it quite startling: Motherwell are an established Premiership club which he took to consecutive 2nd place finishes and competed in Europe - Rangers are not even in the top tier at the moment.

Does it say something about the psyche of the Scottish manager that it was OK to juggle both roles at 'Well, but with Rangers it's taken as a gimme that it would be too much work?

It certainly surprised me.

Is he anything more than a mediocre manager?

His league record is good but the players in the Motherwell team that finished 2nd were, unsurprisingly the 2nd best in the league. He didn't have them punching far above their weight. His cup record on the other hand is embarrassing.

He's certainly Rangers minded though. So he's a shoe-in.

mccoist-masonic.jpg

Does it say something about the psyche of the Scottish manager that it was OK to juggle both roles at 'Well, but with Rangers it's taken as a gimme that it would be too much work?

As much as I liked what McCall did for us - he got a semi as soon as Rangers were mentioned and went out of his way not to utter a word of criticism of them at any point - it wouldn't be a great surprise to see him take his dream job more seriously than the 'Well one (and I'm not implying that he didn't take the job with us seriously BTW)

Is he anything more than a mediocre manager?

His league record is good but the players in the Motherwell team that finished 2nd were, unsurprisingly the 2nd best in the league. He didn't have them punching far above their weight. His cup record on the other hand is embarrassing.

I would disagree to an extent - the team that finished 3rd and then 2nd were the best outside of the OF - but the team that finished 2nd last season were not even close to being the 2nd best team - I still don't know how we did it - so it was a serious achievement in my view. His cup record was utter pish though, no doubt and the fact that we won nothing with perhaps the best 'Well team since the early-mid 90's is something that I really regret considering our "peers" did win something during that period - and that will hurt his legacy a lot....

I think it says more about McCall than the psyche of the Scottish manager in general tbh. You certainly shouldn't be surprised. He put out a team that basically rolled over against Sevco when they were in the 3rd division and by all accounts packed Nicky Law's bags for him and encouraged him to head over to Ibrox when he was out of contract.

IIRC the aggregate score of his Motherwell vs Oldco in the league: 17-1 (over 6 games). Grand total of 1 point out of 18.

No mention of that in his open letter to the fans when he left. Yet he talked up beating Celtic a couple of times.

There's no arguing that his league positions with Motherwell were a credit to him but I always felt a lot of that was down to him inheriting a decent team rather than him being a particularly good manager (Randolph, Hammell, Hutchison, Craigan, Lasley, Jennings, Humphrey, Jamie Murphy, Sutton to me that's the core of a decent SPL team). Beyond the league finishes his apparent neglect when it came to the development of youth players, his abysmal cup record and obviously his willingness to roll over to his former club give a fuller picture of his tenure.

McCall took over from a manager who had very poor people skills, looked elsewhere at other clubs and was generally a bit of a p***k. However Jim Gannon did have one redeeming quality - he knew a good player when he saw one and I still maintain he would make an excellent scout. Gannon signed the players and couldn't manage them. Pa Broon steadied the ship better than I though possible but McCall had everything laid on a plate.

McCall did well in the league but some of his ideas where terrible. Defending was even then poor. You want to score against Motherwell all you do is run straight at the centre backs and they step aside or run out of position. McCall did encourage his team forward and the goals came and that's the difference this season; he failed to identify that the forwards needed strengthening after Anier left.

He also had no idea on how to hold onto a half time lead. With a weak defence and out against a team that's been torn a new one McCall decides to sit back for 15 minutes with men behind the ball and far too many points were lost IMO.

As for his comments about doing the Rangers job full time, I am neither surprised nor give a f**k tbh. He won't get a job there as they have severe delusions of grandure despite their problems. I remember some rangers fans wanting Pulis to replace McCoist ffs.

Overall I like him and met him. He seemed like a genuinely nice guy and his tenure at Fir Park should be remembered for his league positions but he was not the brilliant manager other people make out.

WV33-Rangers-Legends.jpg

Juggling a full-time and part-time job should be no problem for Stuart. He seems to be doing a rare job of juggling those moobs and his beer belly...

McCall took over from a manager who had very poor people skills, looked elsewhere at other clubs and was generally a bit of a p***k. However Jim Gannon did have one redeeming quality - he knew a good player when he saw one and I still maintain he would make an excellent scout. Gannon signed the players and couldn't manage them. Pa Broon steadied the ship better than I though possible but McCall had everything laid on a plate.

Mccall took over from broon, not gannon

:)

On reflection I didn't write that very well, but my point is that it was Gannon made a team that Broon and McCall had the benefits of.

Ever since he left Fir Park, he has slid seemlessly back into the role of "ex Old-Firm pundit c**t" that many others also hold. I can't stand listening to him jibber on about Rangers "getting back to where they belong".

It seems to me like his three years at Motherwell were him playing a part, not the real him.

I'm sure in five years time, if you ask a non-Motherwell fan about Stuart McCall's time at Fir Park, they will be more likely to mention getting gubbed by Albion Rovers and a 3rd division Rangers, than finished in the runners-up spot two years in a row.

It seems to me like his three years at Motherwell were him playing a part, not the real him.

If you look back at his comments prior to the League Cup embarrassment I don't think he even played a part.

"It's probably an even game and a hard one to call if I'm honest"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19719079

Not only were Sevco in the 3rd division but they were comfortably beaten 3-0 in the cups by teams in the same league (ICT & United) as Motherwell that season, a season in which we finished 2nd. They were also beaten in their own league by Stirling Albion, Annan & Peterhead with draws against Peterhead, Berwick, Annan, Elgin, Montrose (x2), Stirling Albion (x2) and our manager is talking us down against a 3rd division team saying "It's probably an even game."... utter embarrassment of a man.

Archived