montrose v clyde

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very pleasing result and performance, aided by such a quick goal - wasn't expecting such a quick reaction!

With McManus & Daly out injured - I genuinely thought it would be Watt and a n other up front, but I was more than pleased with the contributions of the front two. Murray is awkward, raw but shows a lot more intelligence up front than Watt does.

2nd goal was a peach, Smith missed an absolute howler which should have killed the game, but McIlduff painted a much fairer picture on the scoreline and a good reward for his ambition to go forward and along with Murray's tenacity in the box.

Fergies best game of season, although he was lucky to escape a caution for a kick out at Masson(more on him later) and worryingly went off with a knock again.

Odd back to his best today with a fully committed performance, and was very harshly booked for having the ball kicked against him by Masson(more on him later)

No failures, but pleased to see McGhee come on and link up well with the ever consistant Durie playing at right mid after Fergie went off.

Montrose puzzle me. Johnston, Mcintosh & Deasley are decent players especially at this level, but they were toothless, even though Halkett was imperious against them both.

Terry Masson. Where to start. I think he's a cracking player - would love to see him at Broadwood - but is he a dirty cheating Barsteward against other opposing teams? He left his leg in on countless occasions, and for lack of more descriptive words kicked both Ferguson and Smith with no penalty. He then blasted the ball against O'Donnell with a free kick, with the sole purpose of getting him booked, and finally, when play was stopped for a head knock he indicated he was going to give the ball back to Clyde but then proceeded to burst forward. I wouldn't have as much a problem, as Montrose had possession when play was stopped - but he clearly motioned to Gray he was going to return it. Wee tool!

Great reaction, performance

Firstly Montrose; they were absolutely pathetic. The two left-sided players in particular offered nothing and the number 11 barely tracked back with Durie. Wood at centre half is a stupid idea but they seem to persist with it; he looked fed-up all game to be honest.

We played well; were sharper all over the pitch and carried a good threat in wide areas, with both full backs contributing strongly to the performance. The free kick for the opening goal was as soft as you'll ever see but from that point onwards the points were tied up. The second goal was a great move and then flicked backheel by Murray. Struggling to remember any threat at all from the home team in the first half.

Second half we missed an early chance to make the game safe when Smith put a shot over the bar from practically on the goal line. They came into it a bit as we tired a touch but Martin and the centre halves were excellent throughout and kept the clean sheet. McIllduff's goal, a reward for his attacking endeavor, tied up the points and visibly drained Montrose of what little fight they were showing.

With the possible exception of McManus, I reckon that was our strongest team today; Ferguson wide right, Gibson protecting the ever improving McIllduff, Smith getting up in support of the striker. O'Donnell, a passenger in recent games, was outstanding in the centre of midfield. Hopefully we'll stick with that centre half pairing and allow them to develop. The turnaround in Durie since the first couple of months of the season is ridiculous. If we keep that side on the pitch and retain the intensity we had from kickoff, then we'll have a right good chance of being in the top 4. A win next week probably removes any notion of us being anywhere near relegation and allows us to push forward.

Wasn't there today but I have to give Durie his dues, I was a big critic after his first few games but since Turriff he's been really good. Hope he keeps it up.

Excellent result today and I suppose we played Montrose at the best possible time given their pishness of late. Hopefully as David says we will keep a consistent team and let them get on with it.

It's still a question that needs to be asked, even more so after seeing that there's literally no point in Montrose existing. The Angus superclub is surely only a few seasons away.

See, cant help themselves, but Clyde are the only fans I have really heard going on about this

Thankfully Montrose won't be clogging it out at the bottom of League Two for much longer, they'll make way for an ambitious, forward thinking Lowland League club this year. About time too.

nae luck there mate, it will be Brora coming into the league and if you lot think Angus is "up north" just wait til you have to go there :P

We were utterly abysmal yesterday. That's possibly the worst home performance since the days of Davie Robertson's cloggers shipping 5 goals at home to what was a very average Dumbarton side.

I know the Clyde fans are trolling, but it is kind of hard to see the point of the club at present. The board have done a very good job paying back debt but that process is coming to an end and we need a plan beyond merely existing.

The manager after a good start has sadly proven to be totally out of his depth at senior level. The squad look demotivated and not fit enough. It also takes some doing to make a squad of 20+ part timers look threadbare and short on quality. Shields has managed that however.

All Clyde had to be yesterday was well organised and up for it, and I doubt they will claim an easier three points in the next five seasons. The goal we conceded were absolutely criminal. Our poor new keeper had no chance with any of the goals and must wonder what he has let himself in for.

There are strong calls already for Shields and Wilkie to go. But that's really only a small part of the problem. In the longer term the club needs to work out what it is for and how it will at least try and do more than just subsist for season after miserable season. If it chooses to avoid these pressing issues for much longer then even the few remaining diehards who are currently turning up out of force of habit more than anything, will end up biding in the legion more often than they turn out for the games.

This can't go on. Change on all fronts is needed urgently, otherwise this club will simply disappear in the next couple of seasons due to a combination of apathy, atrophy and lack of cash.

Now is the time for the club to re engage with the town and to give them a reason to care about the senior team that bears its name. If we can't do that as a club and work out how to progress beyond this level, then our demise is a question of when rather than if.

The club is at a dangerously low ebb and the window of opportunity to change things is narrowing. Since the draw at Berwick the clubs performances on the park have been a sorry sight, and it is hard to see how that will change under the current clueless coaching team.

I still think we will stay up this season, as much thanks to the shortcomings of others rather than our own merits.

Wasn't there today but I have to give Durie his dues, I was a big critic after his first few games but since Turriff he's been really good. Hope he keeps it up.

Excellent result today and I suppose we played Montrose at the best possible time given their pishness of late. Hopefully as David says we will keep a consistent team and let them get on with it.

Ever since Durie stuck the world class Galactico McColm in his back pocket at Broadwood, he hasn't looked back. These encounters make or break you as a player.

We were utterly abysmal yesterday. That's possibly the worst home performance since the days of Davie Robertson's cloggers shipping 5 goals at home to what was a very average Dumbarton side.

I know the Clyde fans are trolling, but it is kind of hard to see the point of the club at present. The board have done a very good job paying back debt but that process is coming to an end and we need a plan beyond merely existing.

The manager after a good start has sadly proven to be totally out of his depth at senior level. The squad look demotivated and not fit enough. It also takes some doing to make a squad of 20+ part timers look threadbare and short on quality. Shields has managed that however.

All Clyde had to be yesterday was well organised and up for it, and I doubt they will claim an easier three points in the next five seasons. The goal we conceded were absolutely criminal. Our poor new keeper had no chance with any of the goals and must wonder what he has let himself in for.

There are strong calls already for Shields and Wilkie to go. But that's really only a small part of the problem. In the longer term the club needs to work out what it is for and how it will at least try and do more than just subsist for season after miserable season. If it chooses to avoid these pressing issues for much longer then even the few remaining diehards who are currently turning up out of force of habit more than anything, will end up biding in the legion more often than they turn out for the games.

This can't go on. Change on all fronts is needed urgently, otherwise this club will simply disappear in the next couple of seasons due to a combination of apathy, atrophy and lack of cash.

Now is the time for the club to re engage with the town and to give them a reason to care about the senior team that bears its name. If we can't do that as a club and work out how to progress beyond this level, then our demise is a question of when rather than if.

The club is at a dangerously low ebb and the window of opportunity to change things is narrowing. Since the draw at Berwick the clubs performances on the park have been a sorry sight, and it is hard to see how that will change under the current clueless coaching team.

I still think we will stay up this season, as much thanks to the shortcomings of others rather than our own merits.

Well said Ivo - my complete sentiments exactly.

It's still a question that needs to be asked, even more so after seeing that there's literally no point in Montrose existing. The Angus superclub is surely only a few seasons away.

Why stop there,what about Clydonion Rovers 3 clubs within spitting distance of each other and a tiny support,well apart from Rovers the biggest of the 3 clubs with there own ground as well,makes sense :)

Archived