What's it like to follow a wee team like Cowden?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clearly.

On topic, it's a cracking film.

Glad you enjoyed the film. It captures something of the spirit of following a team from the lower levels of Scottish fitba, though we're now playing against Hearts, Rangers and Hibs. I was at Forfar yesterday - great day out.

Here's another. You might recognise some faces.

Yes, this is another good Ross Cunningham film, this time about the number of managers who started out at Cowdenbeath, In fact, we once had a manager, Scott Duncan, who moved straight from Central Park to Old Trafford. After all, Cowdenbeath FC was founded eight years before Celtic.

Original link isn't working for me. Couldn't find it on the guys YouTube channel either.

Did watch the Brechin City one however and loved it. Would be great to see one on every club on Scotland.

Why Brechin though out of curiosity? :lol:

That little film is nicely done. What was the story with the Ashley guy referred to, presumably the same person the film is dedicated to? The part when his old dad is talking about him is really quite moving.

The old man is the grandfather of Ross Cunningham, who made the film. Ross now does filming for St Johnstone and Fife Flyers, as well as others. Ashley must have died comparatively young, but I don't know the story.

Thanks for posting this wonderful film. It made me so homesick watching it. The memories it rekindled for me were fantastic. The match v Brechin will always hold a special place in my heart. To see myself running around the stock car track like a loon after Toorie's winner and at full time made me laugh. Watching myself celebrate with Jimmy Scade was great to see. I had to watch the match from the track as I was asked to help Jimmy and Willie Nellis to do the 50/50 tickets that day. To hear Toorie talk about his father was great. I loved his father's company.

So what's it like to follow a wee team? It is an experience that fans many bigger clubs will never have. I remember pat dolan sending over a player over to the terracing with a message that the gaffer wanted to talk to us after game in the bar in the stand. We did so. Wouldn't imagine that happens at the bigger clubs. As a wee club supporter we know for the most part we will have lean times but when the good times come along they are by far sweeter. Having watched Cowdenbeath in the 3rd division for most of my life, it is great to see them playing at the level they are now. In time we may end up back where we began the journey when I was a ballboy some 35 years ago but we will go on and remember this great period of the Club's history.

I apologise in advance for the prattling of a drunken man

The old man is the grandfather of Ross Cunningham, who made the film. Ross now does filming for St Johnstone and Fife Flyers, as well as others. Ashley must have died comparatively young, but I don't know the story.

Ross has now given up the Fife Flyers stuff as he is in a full-time role at Saints as Media and Communications Officer. Hugely well deserved after the work he's done with Saints TV.

Ross has now given up the Fife Flyers stuff as he is in a full-time role at Saints as Media and Communications Officer. Hugely well deserved after the work he's done with Saints TV.

Thanks, Radford. Hadn't realised Ross had given up Fife Flyers stuff. He was great at Cowdenbeath - been a Blue Brazil fan all his days. His films are terrific.

Thanks for posting this wonderful film. It made me so homesick watching it. The memories it rekindled for me were fantastic. The match v Brechin will always hold a special place in my heart. To see myself running around the stock car track like a loon after Toorie's winner and at full time made me laugh. Watching myself celebrate with Jimmy Scade was great to see. I had to watch the match from the track as I was asked to help Jimmy and Willie Nellis to do the 50/50 tickets that day. To hear Toorie talk about his father was great. I loved his father's company.

So what's it like to follow a wee team? It is an experience that fans many bigger clubs will never have. I remember pat dolan sending over a player over to the terracing with a message that the gaffer wanted to talk to us after game in the bar in the stand. We did so. Wouldn't imagine that happens at the bigger clubs. As a wee club supporter we know for the most part we will have lean times but when the good times come along they are by far sweeter. Having watched Cowdenbeath in the 3rd division for most of my life, it is great to see them playing at the level they are now. In time we may end up back where we began the journey when I was a ballboy some 35 years ago but we will go on and remember this great period of the Club's history.

I apologise in advance for the prattling of a drunken man

Great post, Cowden0. Pal Dolan, now there's a man. He features quite prominently in the new Black Diamonds book...

Archived