What's it like to follow a wee team like Cowden?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not really, but we do like to talk about humping our near neighbours senseless on their own 'superior' patch.

From my perspective, Cowdenbeath won the play off game fair and square. Finally after all those years, they got one over their big neighbours. Something that they probably won't repeat in the near future, if it at all ever again.

Yet for some reason, instead of focussing on how Cowdenbeath are doing in the present and looking forwards, a number of your fans seem to disregard the poor results this season by consoling themselves with the fact that they got a rare win over Dunfermline.

Thanks for posting this wonderful film. It made me so homesick watching it. The memories it rekindled for me were fantastic. The match v Brechin will always hold a special place in my heart. To see myself running around the stock car track like a loon after Toorie's winner and at full time made me laugh. Watching myself celebrate with Jimmy Scade was great to see. I had to watch the match from the track as I was asked to help Jimmy and Willie Nellis to do the 50/50 tickets that day. To hear Toorie talk about his father was great. I loved his father's company.

So what's it like to follow a wee team? It is an experience that fans many bigger clubs will never have. I remember pat dolan sending over a player over to the terracing with a message that the gaffer wanted to talk to us after game in the bar in the stand. We did so. Wouldn't imagine that happens at the bigger clubs. As a wee club supporter we know for the most part we will have lean times but when the good times come along they are by far sweeter. Having watched Cowdenbeath in the 3rd division for most of my life, it is great to see them playing at the level they are now. In time we may end up back where we began the journey when I was a ballboy some 35 years ago but we will go on and remember this great period of the Club's history.

I apologise in advance for the prattling of a drunken man

Despite the fact I'm still bitter after that feckin 0-3 game that's a cracking post - good on ya.

From my perspective, Cowdenbeath won the play off game fair and square. Finally after all those years, they got one over their big neighbours. Something that they probably won't repeat in the near future, if it at all ever again.

Yet for some reason, instead of focussing on how Cowdenbeath are doing in the present and looking forwards, a number of your fans seem to disregard the poor results this season by consoling themselves with the fact that they got a rare win over Dunfermline.

no sir, that was not a rare win. We beat you 4-2 the previous season but don't really go on about that.

It was a magnificent win in the most important game between the 2 sides i can remember. Winner takes all and we all know the rest.

I remember something similar years ago with Liverpool, except this time they were facing Havant & Waterlooville. Think they were going on about them beating a side much lower than Liverpool in the previous round to progress, had a very patronising & condescending feel & tone to it though

Totally agree with this. The BBC can't cover games like this without talking about or showing the small dressing rooms or the toilets and making comments about the crowd and how they'll be playing in front of their usual 100 or so fans next week. Brilliant way to make the small clubs feel even smaller.

Isn't Pars fans consoling themselves with the notion that they're the 'big' team in Fife while they languish in the seaside leagues similar?

Isn't Pars fans consoling themselves with the notion that they're the 'big' team in Fife while they languish in the seaside leagues similar?

Haven't really seen many Pars fans bringing that up, so no.

Yet since you have brought it up, i will address it. Dunfermline are and will always be the 'big' team in Fife for the simple reason that we have the most supporters. Does being the biggest mean we're the best though? Not right now, no. However i am sure we will get back their soon. :)

Haven't really seen many Pars fans bringing that up, so no.

Yet since you have brought it up, i will address it. Dunfermline are and will always be the 'big' team in Fife for the simple reason that we have the most supporters. Does being the biggest mean we're the best though? Not right now, no. However i am sure we will get back their soon. :)

This is no place for a sensible reply! Ya townie hoor!

no sir, that was not a rare win. We beat you 4-2 the previous season but don't really go on about that.

It was a magnificent win in the most important game between the 2 sides i can remember. Winner takes all and we all know the rest.

It's probably because I wasn't in the country for the game(or 7 weeks afterwards) but the game didn't register much with me, have a Cowdenbeath supporting mate who tries to wind me up about it now and again and I just don't get it. Some Cowdenbeath fans do seem to have a rather large chip on there shoulder about the Pars, which is odd because I can't remember ever seeing much open hostility from Dunfermline towards Cowdenbeath.

I'd imagine I would've been more annoyed if I'd been there right enough.

Did East Fife not try and claim that "title" as they had the most Twitter followers at one point?

East Fife have the worse strip, stadium, town and team.

Not got allot going for them tbh.

Archived