Charges for carrier bags

Just nipped into the Spar there and even the checkout girl felt awkward asking, 'Do you want a bag?' then proceeding to get a red face as she said, 'It'll be 5p, is that alright?'.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This contradicts your planet stance if you just want to get it up bag Nazis.

I believe that if policy decisions were made solely to get on the tits of right-wing mutants then the world would be a better place and the correct decisions would always be made. A saved planet would be just one of the fortunate by-products caused by creating this right-wing seethe.

I believe that if policy decisions were made solely to get on the tits of right-wing mutants then the world would be a better place and the correct decisions would always be made. A saved planet would be just one of the fortunate by-products caused by creating this right-wing seethe.

As I said, thicker bags etc.

As I said, thicker bags etc.

This argument that you're trying to create of an increase in thicker bags being worse than the massive decrease in thin bags simple doesn't exist.

Are you a right-wing whopper because you are certainly beginning to sound like one.

"Thicker bags: political correctness gone mad"

I seriously doubt it's going to be a massive help to the environment.

I suppose there's a case to be made that every little helps, but the more probable story here is that we have a poll-chasing government that has very little in the way of actual policies, and just leaps on every single half-arsed idea that polls well so that they can appear in the papers and say they're actually doing something, or anything.

It was the same with the minimum drink price and the hiding the fags behind screens thing - no real policy ideas (except for one very big one), so let's just do whatever old shit goes down well with focus groups.

If e.g. mandatory clown outfits polled 57% in favour, I expect the Scottish Government would institute that as well. Their justifications for doing so would be equally weak - we're trying to create a better Scotland to raise the clowns that Scotland needs to make a better Scotland for Scots, and so on and on and arse arse arse.

I assume you were equally critical of the introduction of carrier bag charges & cigarette screens in Wales by their Labour administration and the introduction of cigarette screens in England by the Con/Lib Dem coalition?

It would be pretty two-faced otherwise...

This argument that you're trying to create of an increase in thicker bags being worse than the massive decrease in thin bags simple doesn't exist.

Are you a right-wing whopper because you are certainly beginning to sound like one.

"Thicker bags: political correctness gone mad"

I own shares in a thicker bag company.

Mon the shoppers.

Mystifies me how folk can go in a shop, spend £30 on their shopping and then bitch over paying an extra 15/20p for bags which you can reuse if you're not a brain-dead moron.

I think that's probably the point. You can spend a hundred quid in a shop and then have to pay 50p to actually get it out the door. I don't think it's the money, more the ridiculousness of the situation.

I just find it a pain in the arse more than anything else. Having to chase the people with bags and practically beg for a couple. And things that were a nice round £4 are now £4.05 meaning more change in my pocket, etc. Booooo.

Can we all agree that it's only no-voting parasitical vermin who oppose the "bag tax". Just the worse kind of people.

I've heard lots of "typical Scottish government" comments from folk.

There you have it, the SNP could literally give you a choice of trying to protect trees or helping charities and people will still be miserable c***s about it.

Mystifies me how folk can go in a shop, spend £30 on their shopping and then bitch over paying an extra 15/20p for bags which you can reuse if you're not a brain-dead moron.

Best bit is when folk spend £200 on a laptop and then go nuggets over a 5p bag.

Miserable nawbag twats.

I'm amazed when someone spends £1500 on a Sonos music system and goes mental over paying pennies for a poly bag to carry it in. Stupid cnuts!

Am I doing it right?

Can we all agree that it's only no-voting parasitical vermin who oppose the "bag tax". Just the worse kind of people.

Agreed.

I used to work in B&Q and I absolutely loved it when people got angry for having to pay for bags.

"I've spent (insert amount) in your store today and you are still going to charge me for a bag??" Aye. :lol:

They either accepted defeat or refused, the latter resulting in them struggling to leave the store clutching their shopping. Fucking idiots man. I'm all for the bag charge, there is absolutely no reason why we can't re use bags or use "bags for life" instead of wasting resources and producing needless waste. This charge will certainly change things for the better.

Work on checkouts at Asda, quickly become part of my repertoire to ask the shopper if they want a carrier bag or bag for life after greeting them. People seem happy to pay 6p for a bag for life even though you're lucky if they last a week.

Unsurprisingly people get nit-picky when told the small clear bags are also 5p if used for anything other than raw meat and loose produce. I do remember seeing a woman completely go off at the person two checkouts behind me when she found out flower bags are also 5p

Overall people seem genuinely okay with it, definitely a noticed increase of people using their own re-usable bags

Archived