Support for 2nd independence referendum

Colkitto

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The support for a second referendum and a YES victory is like a big boulder rolling down a hill, gaining momentum as it goes.

The Nawbags can either jump out of the way or get crushed. I hope they go for the latter.

The support for a second referendum and a YES victory is like a big boulder rolling down a hill, gaining momentum as it goes.

The Nawbags can either jump out of the way or get crushed. I hope they go for the latter.

Now yer talking! :thumsup2

Will you be living the Brit expat dream in Slovenija by then?

I'd prefer Switzerland to be honest... if I was moving away.

But I love living in Britain. It's a great country, so I'm in no rush to leave.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a well written article and a decent point the Smith Commission is another step to an unknown destination. However the notion that federalism would kill Nationalism stone dead is as ill conceived as those who said the Scottish parliament would do the same.

The more powers given to Scotland, the more people grow confident of running our own affairs.

What would kill nationalism is better integration between Scotland and England. Massive infrastructure projects linking up Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Newcastle. Upgrading the A1 to a motorway all the way to Newcastle. A motorway across the north of England. Improved train routes etc. Binding big cities together would cool nationalism the same way that Welsh nationalism doesn't have a real movement because Cardiff is heavily linked with Bristol and Swansea to Liverpool.

What would kill nationalism is better integration between Scotland and England. Massive infrastructure projects linking up Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Newcastle. Upgrading the A1 to a motorway all the way to Newcastle. A motorway across the north of England. Improved train routes etc. Binding big cities together would cool nationalism the same way that Welsh nationalism doesn't have a real movement because Cardiff is heavily linked with Bristol and Swansea to Liverpool.

I'm not being funny here or anything but I think the Scottish Government/UK Government should be getting in touch with Elon Musk and offering favourable conditions for Hyperloop development here.

HS2 is shite, pricey and not actually that fast in relation to some of the projects we see in Asian countries. I'd honestly be looking at experimental projects to link up Edinburgh, Glasgow and Newcastle and create a 'tri-city' area.

It's a radical idea but I'd rather see us show a little bit of ambition towards something that's innovative and fail with lessons rather than do the same projects over and over again without learning.

It is a well written article and a decent point the Smith Commission is another step to an unknown destination. However the notion that federalism would kill Nationalism stone dead is as ill conceived as those who said the Scottish parliament would do the same.

The more powers given to Scotland, the more people grow confident of running our own affairs.

I agree. The more integrated the more doubts there are about going it alone. However, I think The Welsh economy being a lot poorer also has a large effect

I certainly don't agree with everything in the article, but it's a well written,insightful piece.

And of course Federalism wouldn't kill Nationalism stone dead, but it would delay the process that's for sure.

National identity is quite different in Wales and Scotland. According to census figures, only 8% of folk living in Scotland identify as British only, the figure is double that in Wales. 57% identify as Welsh only, compared to 62% Scottish only.

Granted the integration thing may factor into that, with plenty of English living in Wales, but I still think Scotland has much more of a national identity.

I like the cut of your jib.

I'd prefer Switzerland to be honest... if I was moving away.

But I love living in Britain. It's a great country, so I'm in no rush to leave.

You, not so much.

• 4 weeks later...

National identity is quite different in Wales and Scotland. According to census figures, only 8% of folk living in Scotland identify as British only, the figure is double that in Wales. 57% identify as Welsh only, compared to 62% Scottish only.

Granted the integration thing may factor into that, with plenty of English living in Wales, but I still think Scotland has much more of a national identity.

Funny that given how strong the Welsh language is and our own Scottish cringe. Maybe keeping some important instituions in the Act of Union helped?

Archived