Jim Murphy

ForzaDundee

Comparing going to a football game and getting a train is ridiculous, chalk and cheese

But for a laugh I'll entertain it.

I use the train a lot traveling to England, I'm allowed a beer on these trains as they sell them, in a controlled environment. I won't be allowed to pitch up on my seat with a crate of beer and proceed to get pished though.

If you're going to compare football, at least try and make it a like for like comparison.

That's why I used another gathering of people for social purposes.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick question, Spartans are held up as an example as a fantastic community club.

Are you allowed a beer while watching them play?

No. They're a senior side. The ban extends to all senior leagues.

You can take a carryout to the juniors no bother though.

He maybe told his mum on the phone if he did or didn't

He undoubtedly saw the guy waiting to hijack him and suddenly was in a conversation with his mum. Won't be able to use that one again.

Mind you maybe he really had called her to tell her that the home helps hours had been reduced.

What happened here then? At work and can't hear the audio..

The guy that chased Iain Gray into the Subway and also hijacked a Labour branch meeting Jola was at, pounced on Murphy at Hampden this morning, asking why he voted for welfare cap and austerity. Murphy then pretended he was on the phone to his mum.

He undoubtedly saw the guy waiting to hijack him and suddenly was in a conversation with his mum. Won't be able to use that one again.

Mind you maybe he really had called her to tell her that the home helps hours had been reduced.

Either that or her pension is being reduced with a labour government. Can envisage a #onthephonetomurphysmum (or similar) being started on twitter as we speak.

Comparing going to a football game and getting a train is ridiculous, chalk and cheese

But for a laugh I'll entertain it.

I use the train a lot traveling to England, I'm allowed a beer on these trains as they sell them, in a controlled environment. I won't be allowed to pitch up on my seat with a crate of beer and proceed to get pished though.

If you're going to compare football, at least try and make it a like for like comparison.

That's why I used another gathering of people for social purposes.

You are aware that alcohol is banned from trains in Scotland after 9pm? Also from football trains, if i'm not mistaken. Why? And, is this right or wrong?

And, how about a 'gathering of people for social purposes' in various town centres? Should these bans be lifted too?

Finally - is a lifting of the alcohol ban gonna lead to better or worse behaviour? Will it enhance the experience of all who attend matches? I doubt it. There's already games that I have no intention of attending - Hearts v the OF for example. I know that the behaviour of some in the Hearts support would be worse if they had some/ more drink in them. I don't wish to entertain that or expose my kids to it.

Finally - is a lifting of the alcohol ban gonna lead to better or worse behaviour?

The fact it hasn't occurred to you it might make no difference to behaviour to the vast majority of the roughly 1500 games played a year that have no incident, says it all really

Again, using the train comparison is ridiculous, not to mention straw clutching.

And, how about a 'gathering of people for social purposes' in various town centres? Should these bans be lifted too?

Lol wut.

I don't wish to entertain that or expose my kids to it.

And finally we get down to the core of it: you're a suburban bore who would very much rather that the masses spent their weekends inside finishing their balsa model ships while listening to Radio 4, lest their uncouth ways lead to someone's dog barking three streets away.

Lastly, given that most folk seem to agree that Scotland does have a problem with alcohol as a society and that regular warnings appear in our media about the effects of too much alcohol then what kind of message would it be to open up a new arena?

Yeah same could be said for obesity, but you happy to serve pies, other pastries, fizzy drinks and chocolate....

Yeah same could be said for obesity, but you happy to serve pies, other pastries, fizzy drinks and chocolate....

Really shit argument TBH.

I am pretty sure that nobody is getting obese on their saturday afternoon diet exclusively.

If he was suggesting that people would becoming alcoholics due to drinking at the football then your comment might just have fallen onto the right side of relevant.

Archived