Celtic Nations Cup planned for Championship clubs?

Would rather see challenge cup being expanded inviting 18 highland 14 lowland clubs and invite champions of EOS and SOS leagues then you have a 64 team cup.

Alternatively have regional cups with teams from league 1 & 2, Highland/Lowland, EOS, SOS & Juniors

Maybe also something involving juniors but split it into maybe highland, tayside & Grampian, Lothian & Borders, central, Greater Glasgow, Ayrshire & Dumfries. Have matchups we cannot normally see in competitive matches like Carnoustie v Montrose, Spartans v linlithgow, Ayr v Auchinleck . So you could have say 6 regional cups and the winners go into the challenge cup and join the 10 championship clubs.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe have the cup played during the Summer and have all Scottish League teams in, alongside teams from sunny places like Malta, Rhodes and the Maldives? Might attract more fans than Prestatyn away.

1 - The summer is when the players have their holidays.

2 - Some teams will be lucky if they even have 11 players registered during the summer months.

This is a bonkers idea that would cost both clubs and fans a lot, but I like it. What a change it would make from the usual norm of drawing Albion Rovers or Morton in the Challenge Cup every year. I welcome bonkers ideas. I'm in.

1 - The summer is when the players have their holidays.

2 - Some teams will be lucky if they even have 11 players registered during the summer months.

I wasn't being entirely serious. I reckon the Maldives might be a bit too warm for Scots in June anyway!

Someone like HibeeJibee will probably have the cuttings from the newspaper but wasn't there talk of the Scandinavian Royal League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_League) being expanded to include "Celtic" nations?

With this in mind I demand the Faroese and Icelandic leagues are involved in this proposed tournament. Midweek trips to Torshaven appeal far more than ones to Methil or Bangor

If there's no English clubs in the tournament there's not much point.

Ideally, the League Cups in England and Scotland would be abolished in favour of a UK Cup. There would be huge interest and it would likely be more lucrative than any of the cups within the UK.

But a tournament between Scottish, Irish and Welsh teams wouldn't generate much cash at all, and that's what it's all about when it's all said and done.

If there's no English clubs in the tournament there's not much point.

Ideally, the League Cups in England and Scotland would be abolished in favour of a UK Cup. There would be huge interest and it would likely be more lucrative than any of the cups within the UK.

What? Are you suggesting some regurgitated Texaco Cup would generate more income than the FA Cup does.

Absolute bloody rubbish.

What? Are you suggesting some regurgitated Texaco Cup would generate more income than the FA Cup does. Absolute bloody rubbish.

Well, given the fact I said the English and Scottish "League Cups" the answer to your question is - No.

Well, given the fact I said the English and Scottish "League Cups" the answer to your question is - No.

Well that's not true now, is it, so let's not be silly.

You said "it would likely be more lucrative than any of the Cups within the UK".

Even if we give you the benefit of doubt that can't be found however, your 'point' is weak. Why would adding Scottish sides create a Cup with more significance than the League Cup in England? Celtic might just about be able to give Stoke a game, but nobody else could touch top flight English sides.

Such a Cup would have less value than both those you want it to replace.

Well that's not true now, is it, so let's not be silly. You said "it would likely be more lucrative than any of the Cups within the UK".

Yes, but I had mentioned the League Cups in the previous sentence so assumed people would know that was the cups I was talking about. Obviously not, it seems.

But if I could return to the debate about the possibility of a tournament between the Scottish, Welsh and Irish teams. If there's no money in it, there's no point. It would be like a glorified Challenge Cup with the added cost of a Dumbarton for example having to travel to Ireland or Wales. The idea is a complete non-starter.

Yes, but I had mentioned the League Cups in the previous sentence so assumed people would know that was the cups I was talking about. Obviously not, it seems.

Nah. Had you said "either of the Cups", then maybe.

But you said "any of the Cups", which appeared to open things up.

Archived