Heart of Midlothian v Raith Rovers, 08/11/2014

RW89 hits it spot on, we are 5th in the league as other teams are simply as bad as us. Like i said above, if this league had 7 or 8 full time semi average teams we would be rock bottom. When we come up against real tests we are shown the door ... We have lost Vs 10 men (including shipping 4 goals), drew Vs bottom of the league with 10 Men, shipped 4 to Rangers, 4 to Heats, 4 to Dundee, 6 to Rangers and probably another 4/5/6 to you guys again this weekend ... No fan expects us to beat any of the "big 3", however when part time teams below us like Alloa/Dumbarton/Cowdung are giving it a real go and taking points, its worth questioning why we aren't ...

While this is happening we watch our manager set up with a 4-5-1 defense based formation every week, punting long balls to a 5ft midget striker who can't possibly do anything, even when we play 10 men we don't budge from this 4-5-1 ... Murray is possibly the most clueless coach in recent times IMO and he proved it this weekend again by being absolutely outplayed & outclassed by a Junior side ... Unfortunately unless you witness this weekly, it makes most of us Raith fans look like spoiled a'holes in regard to our current league position :P !

I sort of understand the frustration but at the same time the budget and wages at Raith must make it hard for anyone to compete. How's your youth set up? Could you follow Hamilton's lead? I get that Murray isn't mourinho but then he's not working with fabregas and Oscar either.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've made the executive decision of waiting until the next away game at Tyncastle. We should just about be coming out of our traditional winter slump by then. Just in time to grab a win and stave off relegation. Again. Then it'll be onto glory in the Scottish Cup Final.

What are we reckoning with this one? 4-0 again? 5-1? Or will we keep it respectable, possibly even grab a 0-0 or 1-1 draw.

I sort of understand the frustration but at the same time the budget and wages at Raith must make it hard for anyone to compete. How's your youth set up? Could you follow Hamilton's lead? I get that Murray isn't mourinho but then he's not working with fabregas and Oscar either.

If we could improve our youth set up and get more home grown players through to the first team, that would be excellent. It's not really happening at the moment - one dodgy goalkeeper, headless chicken midfielder and cameo forward/forward apart - but we've just joined up with the other Fife teams to have a combined youth set-up, so hopefully that'll improve.

Murray actually started last season with us set up to play attacking football, with two wingers and full backs pushing on. We were pretty good to watch until about this time last year. Since then it's been utter shite in the league with a Scottish Cup QF and the Ramsdens Cup win thrown in to slightly mitigate that shiteness.

Most other clubs would have bulleted Murray a long time ago, based on his record in the league over the last year. Check out our home record in the 2014 calendar year. You'll be hard pushed to find any team in Scotland that have a worse home record.

Yep totally understandable, again it goes down to this argument that "Big Sam" was having @ West Ham ... Attractive Football Vs Results, at the moment the football is horrendous, and i mean like a snore fest to watch, results so far minus the "big 3" have been average (drawing to 10 men alloa is a big no no IMO though!) so can look at it both ways ...

As for our Youth, the only players i can really recall off the top of my head in the last few years breaking into our first team where Lee Bryce, who played a few games and done nothing, possibly Thomas Graham (I think he got a few games, other Raith fans would have to help me here), again he done nothing and last/this season we have brought through a GK who makes 1 daft mistake for every 3 fine saves, a MF who if he could run less and position more could be good and a FW who IMO could be an asset if Murray would pull his finger out and let him play ... So in fewer words, our Youths crap haha !

Most other clubs would have bulleted Murray a long time ago, based on his record in the league over the last year. Check out our home record in the 2014 calendar year. You'll be hard pushed to find any team in Scotland that have a worse home record.

Hibernian.

If we could improve our youth set up and get more home grown players through to the first team, that would be excellent. It's not really happening at the moment - one dodgy goalkeeper, headless chicken midfielder and cameo forward/forward apart - but we've just joined up with the other Fife teams to have a combined youth set-up, so hopefully that'll improve.

Murray actually started last season with us set up to play attacking football, with two wingers and full backs pushing on. We were pretty good to watch until about this time last year. Since then it's been utter shite in the league with a Scottish Cup QF and the Ramsdens Cup win thrown in to slightly mitigate that shiteness.

Is that Fife elite? How does that work? Similar to what falkirk and stenhousemuir(?) do?

Maybe he's decided that given the strength of the division that the best way is to sit in and counter attack. I get why it's annoying though having watched many "functional" Hearts teams.

I think a lot of the issues for Raith come from basically being guaranteed a couple of Hearts/Hibs rejects every season.

Guff like Smith, Elliot, Thomson etc are on their way down by the time they leave Hearts and do nothing more than fill a jersey at clubs like Raith. I know it's practical and cost effective etc, but Raith should go a different route imo.

Is that Fife elite? How does that work? Similar to what falkirk and stenhousemuir(?) do?

Maybe he's decided that given the strength of the division that the best way is to sit in and counter attack. I get why it's annoying though having watched many "functional" Hearts teams.

The problem is, we're not solid enough to play that way. Against the larger teams, we've conceded easy goals and the game is out of sight before long. Hibs away being the one exception (and even then I'd say Hibs were rancid). Against teams of our level, we've seen examples where we give away cheap goals and then we're chasing the game.

For teams of a similar level to ourselves, We went 1-0 down to Alloa at home, 2-0 down to Queens at home, 1-0 down to Hibs. In the games against Falkirk and Alloa Murray resigned himself to draws when the games were there for the taking (only when Alloa had a man sent off did we start putting some form of pressure on). Aside from that we've only looked comfortable in games where we've taken a lead, and the opponents have been too shite to trouble us (Dumbarton at home, Cowden away, Alloa away and Livi away). All of those teams were going through poor spells when we beat them.

The point is, we sit back and we allow this to happen to us. I can understand packing the midfield with 5 men against Hearts. But against an Alloa team with 4 losses on the trot when we're at home? We should be trying to go out all guns blazing there. Not sitting back and accepting a 1-1 draw in case they nip up the pitch and score, until they have a man sent off.

I think a lot of the issues for Raith come from basically being guaranteed a couple of Hearts/Hibs rejects every season.

Guff like Smith, Elliot, Thomson etc are on their way down by the time they leave Hearts and do nothing more than fill a jersey at clubs like Raith. I know it's practical and cost effective etc, but Raith should go a different route imo.

Throw us your current squad after you've won the league then!

:lol:

You'll almost certainly get Brad McKay at some point!

Can we have a shot of Gomis & the Prince to please !? Our CM is so bad if you don't laugh you really would spend your Saturday in tears :lol:

There's only about 150 tickets left for the Hearts end, which includes three full sections of the Roseburn. They'll be gone long before Saturday.

Any idea on what Raith's ticket sales are or how many you'll likely bring through come kick-off? It seems that you've been allocated roughly 1,000 if you need them.

Either way the attendance will be over 16,000. With a full or nearly full away end it will be more like 16,500-16,750. :)

With some of our injured players starting to return (Hill and Elliot - the latter of which isn't anything to get excited about) Murray will be fresh out of excuses if we continue putting in performances reminiscent to last Saturday against Linlithgow. I suppose there's a chance Nade might be back from injury and minus our long term crocked players such as Barr, who hasn't kicked a ball this season for us, and Cuthbert would mean we've got nigh on a full squad to pick from. Haven't a scooby how many tickets we've sold but certainly seems quite a few are planning on giving this a miss for obvious reasons.

In a weird way I felt the games against the big three would be the games where we'd look fairly good (small team raising their game etc) but minus the 2nd half against Hibs we've been pretty much bent over and rodgered. After all the negativity surrounding our team as of late this is the kind of game where we'll do something mental and get a result.

Any suggestions for parking, somewhere out to the west side of the stadium? Don't mind if it means a bit of a walk.

Just park in the Sainsbury's off Westfield Road.

Hearts to win the first world war game comfortably.

:thumsup2

Ha ha!

Anyway respect to the Rovers coming through - have a great day out, you're a decent bunch of supporters, once the serious business is over, have a few pre-match beers with us in the Rule or Tav and we can laugh about Kevin Harper saying Hibs are the best footballing side in Scotland! :lol:

Archived