"Please Mind the Gap..."

HibeeJibee

"... when alighting from these leagues". Inspired by observations on the South Challenge Cup thread - is the quality gap between the Lowland and the EOS & SOS leagues growing?

Last season there were 48 such cup-ties. We saw 33 Lowland wins, 2 draws only settled by penalties and 13 Lowland defeats. Lowland clubs scored 180 goals and conceded 73. So the ratio of wins/losses was about 5:2, and the proportion of goals was also about 5:2.

(Note that Edinburgh University, who joined LL for this season, recorded 2 wins/1 defeat v LL opposition - included in those figures).

This season we have seen 14 such cup-ties to date. These have delivered 12 wins and only 2 defeats, with the Lowland clubs scoring 57 and conceding only 12. So the ratio of wins/losses has jumped to about 6:1, and the proportion of goals similarly jumped to about 5:1.

Obviously it's early days, with more cup-ties to come, so things could change or may become clearer.

But do people feel that the trend suggested by the stats is reflected in reality? And if so what are the reasons for this... have LL clubs signed-up more of the talent from the EOS & SOS leagues? Or maybe LL clubs have recruited better players from the SPFL, Junior, Amateur ranks? Or are their players largely the same, but new factors within LL - perhaps tougher competition - have led to an improvement in LL standards?

"... when alighting from these leagues". Inspired by observations on the South Challenge Cup thread - is the quality gap between the Lowland and the EOS & SOS leagues growing?

Last season there were 48 such cup-ties. We saw 33 Lowland wins, 2 draws only settled by penalties and 13 Lowland defeats. Lowland clubs scored 180 goals and conceded 73. So the ratio of wins/losses was about 5:2, and the proportion of goals was also about 5:2.

(Note that Edinburgh University, who joined LL for this season, recorded 2 wins/1 defeat v LL opposition - included in those figures).

This season we have seen 14 such cup-ties to date. These have delivered 12 wins and only 2 defeats, with the Lowland clubs scoring 57 and conceding only 12. So the ratio of wins/losses has jumped to about 6:1, and the proportion of goals similarly jumped to about 5:1.

Obviously it's early days, with more cup-ties to come, so things could change or may become clearer.

But do people feel that the trend suggested by the stats is reflected in reality? And if so what are the reasons for this... have LL clubs signed-up more of the talent from the EOS & SOS leagues? Or maybe LL clubs have recruited better players from the SPFL, Junior, Amateur ranks? Or are their players largely the same, but new factors within LL - perhaps tougher competition - have led to an improvement in LL standards?

I think its just the best players from eos and sos have moved to the lowland take lothian thistle for example lost kevin swain and craig stevenson to spartans and john McDonald to edinburgh city 3 of there best players which has made them a lot weaker than last year

• 3 weeks later...

Another week of cup-ties got off to a good start for the lower-level sides when EOS Premier leader Leith edged Stirling 3-2 in the EOS Qualifying Cup. I've seen some claims that Stirling fielded a combination XI, but it's a first-team tournament, so it counts.

However, things were once again pretty one-sided with the South Challenge Cup ties yesterday - 5 wins out of 5 and 26 goals for with only 3 against - although credit to Peebles who took Spartans to extra-time.

From LL perspective that puts this season's figures up to 17 wins and 3 defeats, with 85 goals for and 18 against. Ratios remain about 6:1 and 5:1.

Another week of cup-ties got off to a good start for the lower-level sides when EOS Premier leader Leith edged Stirling 3-2 in the EOS Qualifying Cup. I've seen some claims that Stirling fielded a combination XI, but it's a first-team tournament, so it counts.

However, things were once again pretty one-sided with the South Challenge Cup ties yesterday - 5 wins out of 5 and 26 goals for with only 3 against - although credit to Peebles who took Spartans to extra-time.

From LL perspective that puts this season's figures up to 17 wins and 3 defeats, with 85 goals for and 18 against. Ratios remain about 6:1 and 5:1.

I've heard and read of various prominent eos figures over the last two seasons describe the LL as a 'glorified eos' and as the 'exact same standard just with more seating' as well as constantly being told that the teams in it are very poor. The stats don't lie though and with not many clubs in eos ready off the field to progress into LL could this mean the end of the eos as anything other than and amateur league?

The EOS needs new teams. There is no two ways about that. However there are enough good sides there to make it a good league and ultimately a place where teams can play their way up the pyramid in the coming seasons.

it's not going to happen over night. But I'd like to see the EOS active in inviting progressive teams into the fold. They are several well run and ambitious sides in the area. These teams should be invited in.

The EOS needs new teams. There is no two ways about that. However there are enough good sides there to make it a good league and ultimately a place where teams can play their way up the pyramid in the coming seasons.

it's not going to happen over night. But I'd like to see the EOS active in inviting progressive teams into the fold. They are several well run and ambitious sides in the area. These teams should be invited in.

They should. I personally think they should invite 1 or 3 in now and go with one league reducing the cups. The other option would need to see them get to 24 teams to have two leagues- don't think less than 12 in a league can work. When I see the league tables, I genuinely expect to see (top) or (bottom) next to the title- just can't get my head round looking at a full league table that small.

Semi off-topic...

My own thought would be that at least 3 additional clubs are needed ASAP, i.e. to make 20 clubs. Could be more / less, depending who goes into or out of LL.

Of course more than 20 would be better. But reaching 20 would allow 2 divisions of 10 playing thrice for 27 games.

That's an acceptable division size, and a workable number of games (this season EOS Premier is 24 games + blanks; First Division is 28 games).

However, in theory 2 divisions could be maintained on as few as 16 clubs, i.e. 2 divisions of 8 playing 28 games.

Semi off-topic...

My own thought would be that at least 3 additional clubs are needed ASAP, i.e. to make 20 clubs. Could be more / less, depending who goes into or out of LL.

Of course more than 20 would be better. But reaching 20 would allow 2 divisions of 10 playing thrice for 27 games.

That's an acceptable division size, and a workable number of games (this season EOS Premier is 24 games + blanks; First Division is 28 games).

However, in theory 2 divisions could be maintained on as few as 16 clubs, i.e. 2 divisions of 8 playing 28 games.

16 teams should result in only one league IMO. That way, losing one or two ( and potentially gaining ) through LL promotion and relegation wouldn't affect it too much

the EOS is bad enough just now, to go to one league will destroy it permanently IMO. No promotion from the 1st, no relegation from the premier, big scorelines and teams with f**k all to play for by the end of the year. It has to keep 2 leagues. I've heard teams are applying and will get in

16 teams should result in only one league IMO. That way, losing one or two ( and potentially gaining ) through LL promotion and relegation wouldn't affect it too much

HeedtheBaa has described (vividly as is his want!!) one of the big issues of a single large division, which is that there's nothing to play for bar at most a handful of clubs competing for a single title.

I think another issue could be ability to re-expand in future.

As soon as you go to 1 division, to return to 2 you have to get almost half the clubs to vote to relegate themselves.

Anything fewer than 16 clubs would surely have to mean 1 division, though.

the EOS is bad enough just now, to go to one league will destroy it permanently IMO. No promotion from the 1st, no relegation from the premier, big scorelines and teams with f**k all to play for by the end of the year. It has to keep 2 leagues. I've heard teams are applying and will get in

Did Selkirk not apply and get knocked back last season?? This on the back of hibs and berwick pulling out. To many egos running the eosfl. Used to be a great league but think there are better ams leagues being run.

Archived