Alex Jack Cup Final

Told you Colin Mac won in a canter.

Leith were far to good for the Rovers, but they did give a decent account of themselves. Top of the Premier versus top of the first and it showed. Leith will get stronger and stronger with their conveyor belt of talent cominmg through the ranks and once LTHV and Tynie run out of cash they will be the major force in EOS fooball for years to come.

I never at any time said Peebles would win Its just a pity you could not show the same professional attitude shown by the Leith Committee members i spoke to after the game ( no one likes those who blow their own trumpet ) Once again congratulations to Leith Athletic

Told you Colin Mac won in a canter.

Leith were far to good for the Rovers, but they did give a decent account of themselves. Top of the Premier versus top of the first and it showed. Leith will get stronger and stronger with their conveyor belt of talent cominmg through the ranks and once LTHV and Tynie run out of cash they will be the major force in EOS fooball for years to come.

Understand what you're saying but surely leith will be looking to make the step up to the lowland league? How much will need to be done off the park to make this happen?

I took in the Final and Leith certainly deserved it over the piece. If Peebles had managed to add a 2nd after the penalty it may have been a different story. However, Leith dominated the second quarter of the game and were comfortable throughout the second half and it could have been more than 4 had they taken 1 or 2 chances toward the end. Reasonable crowd - 250? bit more? - mainly from Peebles.

Credit to Leith for winning the Alex Jack Cup for 3 years running. I was also reading on twitter that Mr Jack's widow passed away during the week, so poignant in that respect, and for her sons who as usual made the trophy presentation. Interesting to see if either club land more silverware in the rest of the season. Or if any Border club can actually win something, whether cup or league.

Understand what you're saying but surely leith will be looking to make the step up to the lowland league? How much will need to be done off the park to make this happen?

Thinking of the SFA licensing criteria, in terms of the venue various things would be needed. Cover for 100 plus turnstiles, PA system, toilets and catering provision for fans (obviously there are such facilities in the sports centre: but it has to be "within the ground area" or something like that, IIRC). Hopefully it is something which clubs like Leith, Lothian Thistle and Tynecastle are looking at given it's the only way they can ascend beyond their current level. But of course everything costs money.

Certainly some of the existing SFA members are known to be aiming for licensing... for example Civil Service, Coldstream, and Burntisland... as well as the likes of Duns. Off the top of my head I can also think of Eyemouth and Easthouses having done some work on their grounds recently.

I thought it was pretty even the first half & if Rovers had of held their lead to halftime coupled with kicking "downhill" second half it might have turned out differently. Rovers keeper took a bad knock at the equalising goal & there was a lengthy stoppage while he got treatment. Having said that, Leith put in a powerful performance in the second half, great passing & movement, and over the piece fully deserved the victory.

Disappointed to see that Edinburgh Evening News could only muster up a photo in tonight's edition - no match report despite there being no Hibs or Hearts games to report on. East of Scotland League coverage not been the same since Keith Anderson retired. Poor effort - not surprised the paper is dying on its feet,

Deserved win for Leith, dominating the second half.

Pitch looked sticky and I thought that might be in Peebles favour, but Leith look a tidy outfit and ultimately too strong for the Borders side.

Rough headcount was around 230 spectators, mainly it seemed supporting Peebles.

Congratulations to Leith on winning this cup for the 3rd year running.

I took in the Final and Leith certainly deserved it over the piece. If Peebles had managed to add a 2nd after the penalty it may have been a different story. However, Leith dominated the second quarter of the game and were comfortable throughout the second half and it could have been more than 4 had they taken 1 or 2 chances toward the end. Reasonable crowd - 250? bit more? - mainly from Peebles.

Credit to Leith for winning the Alex Jack Cup for 3 years running. I was also reading on twitter that Mr Jack's widow passed away during the week, so poignant in that respect, and for her sons who as usual made the trophy presentation. Interesting to see if either club land more silverware in the rest of the season. Or if any Border club can actually win something, whether cup or league.

Thinking of the SFA licensing criteria, in terms of the venue various things would be needed. Cover for 100 plus turnstiles, PA system, toilets and catering provision for fans (obviously there are such facilities in the sports centre: but it has to be "within the ground area" or something like that, IIRC). Hopefully it is something which clubs like Leith, Lothian Thistle and Tynecastle are looking at given it's the only way they can ascend beyond their current level. But of course everything costs money.

Certainly some of the existing SFA members are known to be aiming for licensing... for example Civil Service, Coldstream, and Burntisland... as well as the likes of Duns. Off the top of my head I can also think of Eyemouth and Easthouses having done some work on their grounds recently.

Last I heard Lothian, there was plans to upgrade Saughton Sports complex and a 500k injection for upgrades to pitch pitchside changing rooms and the likes but that's been waiting to happen for years.

Disappointed to see that Edinburgh Evening News could only muster up a photo in tonight's edition - no match report despite there being no Hibs or Hearts games to report on. East of Scotland League coverage not been the same since Keith Anderson retired.

I think the departure of 'Pele' will have contributed but it's also a reflection of changed circumstances? Up until 18 months ago the EOS was the top senior non-league in the area, which it now isn't. And the AJC included strong teams like Gretna, Stirling and Lothian who weren't in it this year.

Didn't EEN also relegate EOS results to midweek?

I think the departure of 'Pele' will have contributed but it's also a reflection of changed circumstances? Up until 18 months ago the EOS was the top senior non-league in the area, which it now isn't. And the AJC included strong teams like Gretna, Stirling and Lothian who weren't in it this year.

Didn't EEN also relegate EOS results to midweek?

It's an amateur league now and as such gets comparable column inches with the edinburgh afc leagues- although they have hundreds of teams in their jurisdiction and the eos has about six in the area the evening news distributes to.

Archived