Scottish cup winners Saints vs Woeful 'Well. Friday night fitba

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first-half was an absolutely shocking display once again and our equaliser came against the run of play. Motherwell were the better side at that stage, although our counter-attacking goal provided a piece of excellence which we have been gagging for recently. Nice assist by Croft and a calm finish by O'Halloran to make amends for his part in Motherwell's earlier goal.

Second half started off very scrappy. The players were struggling on the ball, resorting to backwards passing towards our clumsy defence who would either punt it aimlessly or totally miskick it.

Then something happened. The spirit of Halloween took over. Our zombie XI gained energy until they were no longer zombies. They were human beings, fully resurrected from the dead at last, rejuvenated with renewed energy, hunger and vigour. A demon decided to possess Michael O'Halloran, blessing him with the ability of end-product, adding to his previous goal with an even better one. A fantastic solo effort from the lad, although James McFadden has to be given credit for the vital part he played in the build-up. I have to say that I thought he was decent enough tonight and he'll only improve with more matches.

Other shout-outs to Chris Millar and Gary McDonald, the latter transforming from a ghost into a living, breathing, tough-tackling entity.

Of course, we were playing a team who are really struggling and we were hardly convincing overall, but that period of sustained pressure in the second-half has given me hope that there is a foundation to build upon here. The lack of options on the bench is a worry though. Anyway, I'm very relieved to get the 3 points and there's no reason we can't build on this with a win in Dundee next week.

My own opinion on the game was that it was an open affair between two evenly matched teams. We were fortunate to be level at the break and could conceivable have been a couple behind but from the moment Wright forced a great save out of Twardzik, we looked the team more likely to get the win. I know it isn't new but I wonder if the back three and wing backs caught Saints by surprise as Croft in particular looked confused by his role.

Was happy enough with what McFadden offered.

Took the missus for only her second ever game. Allowed me a few pre match drinks. Don't think she'll be back in a hurry. Ando really wasn't at the races tonight. He was put under pressure a few times from balls out from the back. Considering the conditions I personally wouldn't bother trying that particular style.

Getting 3 points was the most important thing tonight. Fact we created more chances tonight than we did against St Mirren, Caley and Utd combined (last 3 games I've been at) is a bonus. Hopefully it'll start to click soon.

Why do you dislike McFadden so much? It's bizarre.

I don't, he was probably one of our better performers tonight. His lack of mobility leaves the centre of the park exposed when we play the way we did tonight though, and having a Wotherspoon or MacLean figure in there would be preferable to me.

Thought we were fortunate to be level at half-time, but we improved in the 2nd half. Delighted to see Michael O'Halloran show some real quality and even more character to recover from his cock-up that led to Well's goal. A draw might have been a fairer result, but I'll take the win.

Better tonight and probably deserved at least a draw but sadly we just weren't good enough in the end. Given we were playing a rank St.Johnstone side, low on confidence, on a dreadful run, who've played 3 games in 6 days and were missing the likes of Wotherspoon, Lappin, Davidson and Maclean that really is fucking depressing.

Twardzik, McManus, Vigurs, Ojamaa and Ainsworth would get pass marks for me. Sutton and Ramsden were fucking awful as they have been all season yet they'll no doubt keep their place for next week's game. Their 2nd was coming and yet McCall again waited until after they scored before making the changes. A centre half and a Josh Law thrown on to try and salvage a point, I mean come on to f**k man. What the f**k was that going to achieve.

We're on a downward spiral that I'm afraid shows no sign of stopping. Sadly I do now think McCall's time is probably just about up. He simply refuses to learn from his mistakes and appears to have no answers to the many difficult questions he's facing. Other than to try the same again next week and hope it works this time.

A heavy defeat next week against United and I think it may just be the end for McCall.

First half was a big improvement vigurs and ojaama were excellent 2nd half was scrappy could have went either way. Terrible defending for both goals but I feel more optimistic about the rest of the season than I have after recent games. It was a decent game as well which is a bonus after most of the shitfests I've seen so far this season

Their 2nd was coming and yet McCall again waited until after they scored before making the changes.

Tbf the subs were stripped and ready to come on a couple of minutes before we scored, it wasn't just a reaction to the goal.

Fraser Kerr is a horrendous footballer, while John Sutton managed to summon up the spirit of Rory Fallon. Ojamma was light years ahead of anyone else on the pitch though

Tbf the subs were stripped and ready to come on a couple of minutes before we scored, it wasn't just a reaction to the goal.

Fraser Kerr is a horrendous footballer, while John Sutton managed to summon up the spirit of Rory Fallon. Ojamma was light years ahead of anyone else on the pitch though

I noticed, but it was 81st minute and we hadn't created a chance in over 20 mins and only a cracking save by Twardzik from Wright's header kept us level. It was obvious we were needing fresh legs but McCall does as he always does and waits, waits and waits until it's too late.

Also I feel sorry for Fraser Kerr. He is a centre back, the fact he keeps having his confidence destroyed by being consistently played out of position and hung out to dry on the right wing by McCall is fucking shameful.

One of the most depressing aspects of tonight (and for far too many games over his time at 'Well) was watching a guy who shows signs of being a decent centre half once again having a fucking 'mare whilst completely out of position. If you actually set out to kill someone's confidence and career, you would do what McCall has done to Kerr.

Ojamma is looking right back on form & fitness but the difference is that before he had Higdon, (the good) Law and others giving him something to work with...

The game tonight was more worrying than most of the games recently in that we actually looked decent at times but still were nowhere near getting anything out of the game (against a team that are/were struggling for form. These mad slips and mistakes in defence are happening too consistently to be bad luck....

Oddly - the forthcoming relegation fight is actually getting me more into it and I'm almost looking forward to it - but I've got severe reservations about the guts of this team - we probably don't have what it takes for a fight...

Archived