mark roberts

ayr

Same folk were calling for the mans head when he was sitting 3rd behind Rangers and Dumfermline.

Until a manager has six treble winning seasons in a row I don't think they'll ever be good enough for the fans.

The same fans who we're calling for his head when we narrowly avoided relegation 2 years ago?

If we have a manager who has the slightest clue what he is doing, then there isn't much problem. However Roberts' attitude has always been he's right and everyone else is wrong. It was only last year he said in the paper 'what he was telling the players was right, but they were wrong'. Constantly blaming the fans for his shortcomings and doesn't have any tactics.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not many clubs fire their manager while sitting mid-table after 11 games (six points off the top) and even fewer managers would walk in the same position.

I'm afraid we're a long way off sacking territory yet.

This isn't just coming as a knee-jerk reaction to Saturdays game.

Saturday for me was a strong indication that we will, at best, end up fourth again this year

If it was as easy to look at the league position, ignoring all that has gone before Saturday I would agree with you, But the same as last year, we got off to a flyer then stutter along. A combination of the occasional good performance and everyone round about us slipping up allowed us to narrowly beat Stenny to a play-off place, Now we have Forfar, Dunfermline, Morton and Probably 2-3 others with a genuine chance of beating us to even a play-off place.

The league is there for the taking and in 2 and 1/4 seasons, Roberts has not shown anything that would make me suggest hes capable of taking us forward.

By virtue of being mostly full time gives us an advantage yet on Saturday you would have been forgiven for thinking some of the players had never met.

From day one of the season he knew we had a 35 year old center half commuting from Carlisle and a center half likely to miss games through injury, so to make sure we have cover, went out and signed a winger, our fourth central mid player and Craig Beattie.

We started a season with only Ally Brown as a goalkeeper and had to put up with him for most of the season, Reid had ideas and was able to get players in at the right times.

If Roberts was struggling to get us out of the Championship there would be no questions asked about his ability for three years

This isn't just coming as a knee-jerk reaction to Saturdays game.

Saturday for me was a strong indication that we will, at best, end up fourth again this year

If it was as easy to look at the league position, ignoring all that has gone before Saturday I would agree with you, But the same as last year, we got off to a flyer then stutter along. A combination of the occasional good performance and everyone round about us slipping up allowed us to narrowly beat Stenny to a play-off place, Now we have Forfar, Dunfermline, Morton and Probably 2-3 others with a genuine chance of beating us to even a play-off place.

The league is there for the taking and in 2 and 1/4 seasons, Roberts has not shown anything that would make me suggest hes capable of taking us forward.

By virtue of being mostly full time gives us an advantage yet on Saturday you would have been forgiven for thinking some of the players had never met.

From day one of the season he knew we had a 35 year old center half commuting from Carlisle and a center half likely to miss games through injury, so to make sure we have cover, went out and signed a winger, our fourth central mid player and Craig Beattie.

We started a season with only Ally Brown as a goalkeeper and had to put up with him for most of the season, Reid had ideas and was able to get players in at the right times.

If Roberts was struggling to get us out of the Championship there would be no questions asked about his ability for three years

According to the Ayrshire Post, Mark Roberts is baffled by recent home defeats and doesn't know what is wrong. I am baffled that he is baffled. Maybe he has a bad vantage point. From the Somerset Road end last Saturday it was perfectly obvious what was wrong. If he doesn't know what is wrong then what is he going to work on at training this week?

Away at Stranraer next week will be the crunch. Roberts has been consistently outperformed by Stevie Aitken with a far smaller budget and it looks like this season is heading the same way. Lose down there and the clamour for him to go will reach fever pitch.

But there's only one man with any power to do anything about it and he's thousands of miles away with no appetite to do anything other than keep us ticking along.

Away at Stranraer next week will be the crunch. Roberts has been consistently outperformed by Stevie Aitken with a far smaller budget and it looks like this season is heading the same way. Lose down there and the clamour for him to go will reach fever pitch.

But there's only one man with any power to do anything about it and he's thousands of miles away with no appetite to do anything other than keep us ticking along.

I wouldn't say LC has no appetite, the club would surely be more attractive to buyers if we were in the championship. I reckon he'll be more side tracked atm with his legal problem that Hugh Clarke decided to make public when he posted the emails.

I'm not sure how compensation works exactly for football managers but do they only get paid whats left on their contract or do they get so many weeks pay? Could it be a financial hurdle that's holding the decision back this side of Christmas?

FWIW I'd be surprised if we start January with Roberts at the helm.

I wouldn't say LC has no appetite, the club would surely be more attractive to buyers if we were in the championship. I reckon he'll be more side tracked atm with his legal problem that Hugh Clarke decided to make public when he posted the emails.

I'm not sure how compensation works exactly for football managers but do they only get paid whats left on their contract or do they get so many weeks pay? Could it be a financial hurdle that's holding the decision back this side of Christmas?

FWIW I'd be surprised if we start January with Roberts at the helm.

That might actually be a shout.

We'll probably be in touching distance of the playoffs even with Roberts in charge.

It would make economic sense to leave it as long as possible and then hope that a new manager bounce is enough to get us through the playoffs and up.

Same folk were calling for the mans head when he was sitting 3rd behind Rangers and Dumfermline.

Until a manager has six treble winning seasons in a row I don't think they'll ever be good enough for the fans.

What a really really stupid statement.

I wouldn't say LC has no appetite, the club would surely be more attractive to buyers if we were in the championship.

The club is running on autopilot and has been for years. It would take an incredibly grave situation for Lachlan to come back here and start the hunt for a new boss.

He either needs help or to leave, someone with a tactical knowledge to change things to be sitting in the stand and telling him how to exploit teams and stop us from being exploited

On Saturday it was obvious that Forrest was an empty jersey, not a criticism, hes 17 and will have days like that, Mikey Donald took a sore one and Roberts replaced him with Gilmore rather than McGill or even Shirky, Changing the shape of the team which meant we had 2 wide players who weren't fully in the game, no out balls. it seems like whoever went off first, he was going to be replaced by Gilmore regardless and the team would have to be shuffled to suit.

Not only had Donnelly not scored in weeks, I'm not even sure hes had a shot at goal, maybe if Roberts could work that one out before Saturday, How to get Donnelly in the box and give him the ball....his job might be less under question

Is Murphy the centre half fancying a management gig?

Taking a punt on a new manager is a serious option to consider (even though it's not really worked out the last twice)

I like watching Murphy play and I would love a team to play with his style, he reminds me of Frank Sauzee, a silky center half who would have the potential to be absolutely brilliant or absolutely terrible as a manager

Derek Adams

No

I also wouldn't want Danny Lennon or Stevie Aitken to take a step up to Ayr

I can't remember who said at the time when Burley was hired, When picking a manager you want one who has played at the level you want to be at.

A guy like Paul Hartley transformed Alloa with guys that individually probably wouldn't have been targets for Ayr, Same with Ian Murray and Dumbarton, sometimes you get lucky with a young manager.

If Roberts went, Cameron or Kirkwood need to advertise it and interview a lot of people to find someone that wants to go places themselves as a manager

Ayr as a club have had a few international managers through their doors over the years so there must be someone with raw talent they can find.

Not many clubs fire their manager while sitting mid-table after 11 games (six points off the top) and even fewer managers would walk in the same position.

I'm afraid we're a long way off sacking territory yet.

And i think its 6 off the relegation play off as well and with our current form especially at home...

The club is running on autopilot and has been for years. It would take an incredibly grave situation for Lachlan to come back here and start the hunt for a new boss.

Were we not advised about the changes of the club structure and strategy for the next five years in his last blog to appease fans? Pretty sure he said he was going to share it...?

Also, Roberts is pish.

I think Cameron is due some slack when it comes to criticism, he chose not to stiff anyone and pay what the club owed, no bank debt is viewed as a success by some clubs, he's not sold the ground but sold off bits of it round about to pay for running costs.

Where Cameron has been guilty of errors has been management selection, the 2 Rabs, Mark Shanks etc Had Reid not been at the club when Connor left he wouldn't have been given the chance at Ayr.

This is not the worst Ayr team I have seen.....by far yet it is doing a similar job that Connor,Shanks & Stainrod did, have us mid table in the third tear of Scottish football, under Connor and Stainrod we had guys who weren't even good juniors playing for us, never mind 2 former internationalists

Cameron has spoken in the past about his admiration of Ricky Sbragia, not sure if he would be able to tempt him from his Scotland Youth duties. I don't think it should be Millen, I don't think he would be at training and on the bench on a Saturday whispering duff advice to Roberts hoping he gets the sack.

Archived